Search Unity

Games (OUT NOW) The Journalist - A photography action adventure

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by JungwooYom, Dec 12, 2023.

1. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

The Journalist

The Journalist is a non-violent action game that aims to capture the magic of shooting film photography.

Steam page

You have to consider many things when taking a picture. For example, the picture will be ruined if you move while the shutter is open.

If you're interested in this project, you can wishlist it on Steam or join the mailing list. I'll notify you once the game is out.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  2. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

You can drive around freely in my game!

3. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

4. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

The game is set in Seoul. Still very early stage in level design, but here's the current state.

5. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

Little corner of the city I've been working on recently. I am aiming to capture the cozy feeling of cloudy day, but I don't want it to be bleak. I am trying different things to achieve this.

Don't forget to wishlist The Journalist on Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/2724770/The_Journalist

6. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

Making trailer is always very rewarding as it acts as an important milestone in the whole production process. I wanted to make a trailer for quite some time. Back in December, I wanted to create trailer to let people know I am actually working on the game. But I thought making a trailer too early in the development would be just something little more than a formality. So I worked on a game for another two months, and finally made a trailer. Here goes!

It features soundtrack from the game. There are several more chill songs composed by Dongbaek, whom I met in College last year. You can look forward to it!

The game still has to be improved a lot, but I am very happy with releasing the trailer. Getting little more wishlists than usual too. If you haven't wishlisted the game, please consider doing so!

7. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

I worked on this speech bubble this week. Players will be able to talk to various citizens all around the city. With some of them giving players a side quest.

Side quests will be less complicated than main missions, but instead, they will pose a different kind of challenge.

CodeRonnie likes this.
  8. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Wishlisted! No conspiracy to discover? Drug trafic, corrupt politician to expose? Treasure to find? ;)

May I expect a Linux version?

JungwooYom likes this.
  9. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

Thank you so much! Purpose of shooting photos will be a little more peaceful (e.g. shooting portraits of storekeeper). But that is not to say there aren't action-packed missions!

Unfortunately, I currently don't have a plan for Linux version as I cannot test it thoroughly.. but a friend of mine uses Linux from time to time, so I might get some help from him and support Linux someday!

APSchmidt likes this.
  10. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

I have a lot to share today! There have been some major changes to the level. First and foremost, the marketplace.

It's much bigger than before. There are some important missions that take place here, so the new size affects gameplay too. I am going to keep adding stuff here, so stay tuned!

In my previous games, there were hardly any tutorial. Players used to be confused and quit. Therefore, I decided to implement a more structured tutorial this time. But I don't like handholding players too much, so I am trying to find the sweet spot.

The overall level has been greatly improved too. New buildings added, props placed, etc. Although It's not easy ensuring the whole enviornment asthetically coherent, it's also quite a fun process!

That's all for today. I'd be appreciated if you could wishlist the game on Steam! See you again next time.

APSchmidt likes this.
  11. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

APSchmidt likes this.
  12. JungwooYom

JungwooYom

APSchmidt likes this.