Search Unity

[Out now!] PortalKit Pro- Seamless portals (Fully VR and Mobile supported)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by I_Cudlitz, Dec 11, 2016.

1. HP

HP

I wrote an email on 23. April to support@skstudios.zendesk.com and received a response email from your system with the ticket id 140.
    Maybe the mail was catched into your spam folder?

2. I_Cudlitz

I_Cudlitz

I've since followed up with you on the ticket :) I didn't realize that my temporary workstation was linked to the wrong support account.

3. I_Cudlitz

I_Cudlitz

Also, new update coming out for ya'll really soon! It addresses some bugs as well as overall QOL.

4. I_Cudlitz

I_Cudlitz

After a small bug hunt, a couple minor issues were discovered in the current version of PortalKit, which have subsequently been fixed.
    If you are experiencing any issues with the asset, please send an email to support@skstudios.zendesk.com and I'll send you the newest version.

5. Ascensi

Ascensi

@MCudlitz I've sent an email asking about having portals set up between scenes rather than only in the same scene -is this possible? if it's not yet implemented could it be added?

Update: searched around if this was possible and a few people claim it is https://answers.unity.com/questions/1515242/portal-between-scenes.html

I recently purchased this, currently using Unity 2017.4 2f2 and haven't had it working yet but I'm aiming for/upgrading to 2018 so I hope it works with the latest version.

Not working in 2017 or 2018.. Portal Kit pro makes the editor perspective mode super blurry but if you switch to iso mode it's clear again and VR doesn't seem to work in the demo.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  6. Catonovato

Catonovato

I've submitted a support ticket through email. Still can't get it to work at all in 2018. Is there a confirmed version of Unity that this extension works with?

7. ludos

ludos

I can get it to work in desktop view with 2018.2.0f1 . But i have problems with VR.

8. I_Cudlitz

I_Cudlitz

Hey there folks! Extremely sorry for my absence, I've had some extremely serious family issues recently that I needed to attend to immediately, on top of my desktop dying, leaving debugging Virtual Reality content much more difficult.

I've just gone through and responded to all of the support tickets that I've received. I'm working on fixing the Virtual Reality bug right after finishing this post.

Also, at the request of community members, I've created a discord server for my products (Currently, just PortalKit Pro; when all issues are fixed, I'm releasing some other assets that are complete, but awaiting PKpro's bugs as to not spread myself too thin.

To join the discord server, follow this link:
    https://discord.gg/5MdyZKn

9. I_Cudlitz

I_Cudlitz

Jeez, that took longer than expected. It kept me up for the night, but I've just finished a big o'l compatibility patch that will fix all of the 2018 problems. If you want it, please join the discord and request it, or send me a support ticket.

twobob and hopeful like this.
  10. I_Cudlitz

I_Cudlitz

Alright, folks! The update is live, and so is the reduced new price!
    The asset is now priced at $45 temporarily, down from 75. This will be adjusted to $55 in a month or so.

In addition, after fixing all of the bugs in this current version and helping all of my customers with their issues, PortalKit Pro will enter a much more stable phase, where there will be less new features; the tradeoff being that it will be essentially guaranteed to be bug-free on all platforms for all configurations, as I will have much more free time to chase down each and every last defect, no matter how minor.

Two new features that are being worked on before this phase are proper depth maps for portals as to allow screen space effects such as fog or AO to function as expected without requiring them to be on the portal camera, as well as a possible optimization for 2018+ that utilizes single-pass rendering to render the portals, something previously unworkable.

Also worth noting, I will soon be releasing some new content. MirrorKit Pro is a new asset that I have been working on but have been holding back release on until PortalKit is less active, as to not ignore my existing customers. It shares the core tech of PK, which will allow it to be used in Virtual Reality and be extremely performant, while also releasing fully mature and bug-free as it shares the same core code. It allows for creation of mirrors and reflective surfaces, including full PBR support, as can be seen here:

Also being worked on are free versions of both assets that come precompiled and with severely reduced functionality, to serve as demos.

I have a third asset unrelated to rendering on the way, but that's not quite ready to show off at this time.
    Thank you all for your support and feedback! This has been a really interesting year with my small operation, and I look forward to serving you all more effectively as I get more experience. Feedback is always appreciated, as is content! If you've ever done anything cool with any of my assets, please do share. It's always awesome to see what people do with my stuff after it's out there in the world.

11. I_Cudlitz

I_Cudlitz

Also, if you use, have used, or have tried PortalKit Pro, please consider leaving a rating! Currently, many of my ratings have come from customers who had problems with the asset (that I then fixed, in most cases, which is why the asset retains its high rating), but there's a bit of a dearth of reviews from customers who never had a problem.

High ratings help sales, which in turn allows me to spend more time on support, something I'm currently having a problem justifying the relative time expendature on in between my other responsibilities. I'm doing my best, but it can be fairly difficult.

Also, some news; currently, a fix for the current version of VRTK and UFPS are on the way, as well as improvements to the ability to render fog and other depth-based effects.

As a reminder, the asset's discord server may be found here :
    https://discord.gg/5MdyZKn

12. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

@MCudlitz - I'd also like to know if PortalKit Pro can work across scenes? So if the entry portal is in the first (loaded) scene, I then additively load a second scene and setup the portal exit in that scene.

I'm an existing customer for this asset, did test it once with the Vive and performance tanked. You mention above about "...possible optimization for 2018+ that utilizes single-pass rendering to render the portals..", this would have a big improvement on performance?

// WildStyle

13. EntangledOthers

EntangledOthers

Does anyone have any experiences with HDRP pipeline and Portalkit Pro? (especially in regards to the portal shaders) I'm on the fence as I need to be able to use this asset with 2018.3 and HDRP rendering.

14. slurpee123abc

slurpee123abc

@DarkFractures I doubt it works with HDRP right now. HDRP is brand new and uses different shaders. You could try to modify the shaders yourself to work with HDRP, but I don't really know enough to help you.

15. EntangledOthers

EntangledOthers

Sadly beyond my ken to modify (for now), so I'll have to look elsewhere it seems.

16. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Is it compatible with Steam 2.2? VRTK is not

17. JX272

JX272

Any information on the current status of PortalKit Pro? Store site was taken down, asset got deprecated, documentation sites domain is no longer registered.
    Looks like another great asset just died / could not make a living on asset store business model.
    ... or is there any other information about these events?

inBytes and Xain like this.
  18. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Regardless of the state of development it is still copyrighted and cannot be shared like this. You may mean well but this is probably illegal to do so unless the developer(s) themselves have released it to the public.

EDITED TO ADD: The moderator has removed the reported link but I'll leave this here as a reminder.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  19. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Oh my. Does anybody know what happened to the author or the asset and if it is still possible to get it somewhere? It looks so promising and exactly like what I have been searching for.