Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Our team getting rid of Collab right now...

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by metalkat, Dec 9, 2019.

1. metalkat

metalkat

2. SValdenegroKlu

SValdenegroKlu

3. metalkat

metalkat

As an update, after trying Plastic SCM, raw Git cli, bitbucket, github, gitlab, and the github for windows app, gitkraken app and Fork, we are running smooth with Git on Github LFS using Fork and DiffMerge.

After all the mess setting up git on the project, the merges, the conflicts, watching all the "things" Unity does in the background, I'm here to, somewhat, praise the Collab team on doing something really GOOD, even flawless, but only on one thing, the end user effortless on managing these stuff.

I still won't recommend using Collab at all by now, unless you're alone, starting, learning.

But I really mean that Good job on that one thing Collab team, it was a success the effortless on your approach, just get it better and maybe we'll go back.

I also wouldn't recommend the marketing team on talking about collab at all until that preview version is out.

WendelinReich likes this.
  4. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I agree. Alternatives aren't that easy to use. It's a shame because collab had potential.

What made you choose Git? When i tried it last year, setting Git LFS whas very confusing, I never new if I succeeded because I had no feedback. I ultimately chose Plastic which isn't as plug and play as collab but a lot less risky than hoping Git would work.

5. soleron

soleron

I feel Collab can have a great future if certain things get improved. (partial updates, locking down files, etc.) I have been using other version control and asset management systems in the past for many many years and there is not a single one without these problems. You will face them either way you choose to go. It's only a matter of time.

Pick the one that suits your workflow and make sure to standardize your processes. Else you are going to have problems all the time.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That’s how we all felt when Collaborate was in beta in... 2016.

Since then it has actually regressed, so...

7. soleron

soleron

I do not agree. It has not regressed, but it is going a bit slow.

I would love to see individual file updates instead of forcing the entire change set.
    (i.e. I want to push only a new model and its materials, or only a single script that I updated for a colleague and not the entire half finished implementation that I am working on.)
    Also either file locks or proper scene merging.

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @soleron, it actually is possible to push individual changes instead of your entire change set in Collaborate. You can right click on an asset that has been modified, then go to Collaborate/Publish to select that single asset to publish. You can use the Project Browser to view all edited assets if you'd like to select more than one asset at a time.

In 2020.1, the new UX of v1.3.6 (and soon v2.1.0-preview) will allow you to more easily select just the assets you want to publish from the Changes tab in the Collaborate window.

ihgyug and soleron like this.
  9. soleron

soleron

Oh yeah! Sweet! When was that introduced? I just noticed it . Sorry. :rolleyes:

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No worries! I believe we added that quite a while ago, around 2017.1, but I could be mistaken. In either case, I'm glad you're seeing them. :)

11. _met44

_met44

Collab smoothes out a lot of the pain of using other version control tools and has a torrific integration with assets in the project, but sadly falls flat when used by more than 1 or 2 users using it to share files between 2 computers...

Updates are painfully slow, too often things break down and require a restart of unity causing another very slow mandatory initialization step.

Resolving a conflicts somehow takes 10 to 20 times whatever amount of time the update took.

And worse is often when whole team is commiting stuff I struggle to update fast enough to be able to commit before someone else commits again...

Its a shame those issues cannot be addressed, and I'm by no mean implying its an easy task, but regardless it collab isn't quite yet an option for actual teams.

ps: I have high end hardware and everything is on SSDs

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

In bad days it’s checking for changes roughly every 15 minutes and each one takes 3 minutes, and if I receive a commit without having reverted first, it freezes the editor for 3 minutes.

So yes, it has regressed.

13. soleron

soleron

No, it has not, this has never happened to me or any installation of several large and small studios I have worked with. Nor have I heard anyone else claiming something similar. Of course, I am not saying this is not happening to you, it is, and that is your experience that is important to report.

I am saying that what you experience is not a general issue which would justify the "regression" characterization for the entirety of the solution and its users, but only an outlier case.

14. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Why are you still losing time with it? If I'm not mistaken, you've had issues in 2018 like me.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So what you're telling me is my anecdotal evidence can be discarded, while your anecdotal evidence can be considered the norm. I cannot call this a regression, but you can call it whatever you want.

As everything in Unity, it works to give the appearance of working, but once you use it in a real project everything falls apart.

But thank you for your replies, thanks, I feel appreciated.
    Yeah it's been since 2018 I believe. Although at that point we were almost always like "a week away from a fix" and had personal reassurances from Unity stuff and a whole other bunch of bullcrap.

Anyway.

My excuses for now:

We don't want to lose history.

Stockholm syndrome.

I've been meaning to set up SVN on our web server, but I'd rather work on my game.

Masochism?

It changes from day to day.

IOU_RAY likes this.
  16. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Yes it did.

17. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Just get Plastic SCM. It's not the easiest in the world to set up but it works. You should be comfortable with it in less than a week.

More importantly, they won't let you hanging dry like collaborate's team. The few times I had a problem, I've got personal help and issues got solved in the next 24h. Compare that to your current situation...

Plus your new user feedback will be useful to them. They are aware of unity users dissatisfaction with collaborate and are working on a better simpler workflow for us.