Search Unity

other friction types or full physx support

Discussion in 'Physics' started by chaosmaker, Mar 19, 2018.

1. chaosmaker

chaosmaker

hello,

in this state of physics (all physx 3+) our game is basically doesn't work as expected in any way. and we have to try the other friction algorithms that actual physx have that unity didn't wrap or make the collision ourselves to see if they help us. i wonder this because all was ok in physx 2.8.

please add the other friction types or is it possile to wrap the physx for all platforms?

thanks

2. Edy

Edy

PhysX 3 changed the way the friction works so it doesn't obey the real physics friction anymore. From Physics Material doc:
    This leaves friction to be trial & error until finding some setting that mostly works in most situations.

PhysX 3 expose three different friction models. However, Unity doesn't allow to change that. I wound't expect any change on this anytime soon in Unity...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    chaosmaker likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We can ask on Alpha if friction will be looked at @Edy

chaosmaker likes this.
  4. Edy

Edy

@hippocoder please ask :) I've already asked this on Alpha recently as part of another physics-related post but got no reply. I've been asking this periodically since nearly 2 years, but I've always got the typical "will be looked at" replies, if any.

Latest "official" position on PhysX is that the new version 3.4 is being integrated and any further improvements will be considered after the new version is fully stable. My opinion is that if the friction model hasn't been already exposed as part of the integration (no evidence, but maybe it's being reserved as big surprise), then I wouldn't expect it to be exposed within the 2018.x cycle.

chaosmaker and hippocoder like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I was told recently by @yant that the possibly of looking into friction can (possibly) come after once the upgrade to Phyx is over with

Edy likes this.
  6. Edy

Edy

Update: Friction Type is now exposed in Unity 2018.3: Edit > Settings > Physics > Friction Type.

Awesome!