Search Unity

OtEE next game milestone 1

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by NicholasFrancis, Oct 4, 2005.

1. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Here's a few screenies from the 1st miletone of our next game

Attached Files:

2. robertseadog

robertseadog

Just curious:

Whats the max polycount you are aiming for on the background people there?
    Any thoughts about polycount versus performance?

Also, I see you have got a rim-light on the models, What type of light is suitable for this?

- Looking good ;)

3. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

That was quick!

For the prototype we only do a high-level LOD: approx 800tris/character, IIRC.

After prototype we'll do some more. According to danni, it's not so bad to do. Because I'm such a nerd, I'll probably look into billboarding distant guys. <- All this is purely theoretical.

The way I see it, for the prototype - when it becomes to heavy we just don't make the camera look along the horizon. That also gives us a good study of high object -count optimization...

4. robertseadog

robertseadog

Rapid Robert thats me ;-)

a billboarding scheme sounds good (just replacing guys with textureplanes right?), and I guess it has to be around 800 tris when you got a lot of background people, just curious because Im thinking of improving my game modeling, so all thoughs about polycount is really helpfull.

What about Main characters? You got any in your type of game?
    Wait a minute.. Oh no! Im just realising that my models are created with polycount, IE: amount of total polys(quads tris).. So I guess my tri-count is pretty high, and that about 1000 poly performance limit..

Anyways, you're a geek eh?
    Reminds me; Here in Norway there's a program running with a group of geeks who's gonna train to become a fotball team, none have ever tried a fotball and most of them even got ditched at gymnastics.. It's a nice clicheé, and after X months they play against a professional team :p But it's not really a 'laugh at, not with' situation, cause these guys really are committed and have the nessecery irony to keep it up.

So I guess Im saying, that most geeks arent really geekyish, or if they are they usually know it and make themself ungeeky by using irony.. he he- I'll let you find the compliment in it.

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

At some later stage, we'll add some LODs to them... Say down to maybe 130 tris.

In Unreal3 they use up to 7000 tris per character. We just said at the typical size you see them (between 1st 2nd shot), 800 is good. I've heard somebody sayin 10-20 pixels per poly.

My main advice is not to save too much. I mean, 25000 poies is too high ;-) But you can always build lower lods, and if you start out high, they last longer, which is good for reuse.

Yes. I find stuff outside myself (like Unity) and let it take control of my life. Before unity, I was a filmmaking geek. The field is irrelevant. It's the approach.

6. Richard_B

Richard_B

Looking very interesting!

VERY neat trick - hadn't though of that one!

Richard.

7. robertseadog

robertseadog

He, I did a lot of small film projects before, then I got the eyes open for 3d, and now, I wanna make games (and I've allways done illustration and paint media in some form or another)! So I guess I can call myself a geek to then (ordering badges and whisling geek tunes for himself) if that matters :D

8. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Looking really good... can't wait until there are some blobs and shadow maps in there.

Have you considered sticking the Gooball in there to leap from building to building? It'd look so funny in there... :)

(Yeah yeah, it probably doesn't work anymore)

I was having fun mixing and matching for instance OverWhelmed Arena ships in farm landscapes. It's quite an addictive little distraction. :)

You know how in stressful dramatic movies they'll break up the mood with a really dumb joke, and half the audience in the theater laughs nervously to break them out of that sinking feeling? I wonder if this game will need that... after seeing the look of that guy's expression in the closeup. Eerie. He just needs a more detailed hand in the closeup holding a lit cigarette or something. *shivers*

Will this game require facial expressions? I can't tell if you have the face detailed enough for expressions or if it is mostly normal mapping providing the detail.

The guys walk around now and don't run into each other or buildings? Anything else they can do now?

Keep it up,
    -Jon

9. boxy

boxy

Looking great! I am intrigued by the subject matter...
    Boxy

10. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

11. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

@aarku
    We have regions in the personal level. As the bots enter a region, the region offers a 'service' it can provide.

Example: Around stores, we'll place a LookAtShopWindow region. If the character has a LookAtShopWindow animation, and its psychology matches, it'll look at the shop window.

At the moment we only have a 'Smoke' action. so as people are walking around at the streets, they'll suddenly start smoking a cigarette. We don't spawn a cigarette either, but that'll come. Looks a bit weird to tell the truth. The character in the closeup is actually playing that anim.

One of the challenges is to model the arab world. In most games, you have a lot of individuals walking around on their own. In the arab world, people tend to group up more. 2 male friends walking hand in hand. People speak more to each other. Means there's a lot of managing that'll be going on.

12. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Is the terrain using a splat shader right now in those pictures?

-Jon

13. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Yeah - 5-splat vertexlit.

ShaderLab needs a bit of work before we can correctly do N-splat pixellit on GEForces, and in order to _really_ get it right, rendering the splat as a deferred-like thing is looking better better (accumulate all lights in an offscreen buffer), then do all splats in one pass multiply in the lighting buffer.