Search Unity

Question Ortho Parallax Effect with camera stacking

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Renegade_Wolf, Apr 16, 2023.

1. Renegade_Wolf

Renegade_Wolf

Hey all,
    So I have an ortho camera that's my main camera currently. It's a framing transposer, but I currently do some stuff when there are two important characters on the screen, like for a boss fight: the camera dynamically zooms in on them using a virtual camera. I did this to achieve sort of a Smash Bros camera effect, but I am not 100% sold on it; especially because of my attempts to add parallaxing.

I have recently begun the endeavor of adding background and foreground elements to a scene. My thinking was, I'd need to put all the parallaxing stuff on one camera, and might even need to make it the base camera because every time I tried to use it as an overlay, it rendered in front of my base camera. I tried it with some copy/pasting because it's been a while since I set up my camera, and the first zoom effect showed me that the parallax isn't really looking that great.

Since I have a small area I'm working in at the moment, I'm not sure how the parallax looks even without the zoom effect. And, I'm not really sure parallaxing would be needed in such a small scene, nor would the zooming necessarily be needed in a larger scene. But I think the z-value change and possibly the y-value change of my base camera are making the effect look worse.

How can I keep my camera movement - at least the character following, if not the virtual camera stuff - looking right while also having a parallaxing perspective camera rendering behind my normal ortho camera?

As you can see in the video below, when the camera zooms out the parallaxing square appears to get larger.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023