Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Orthello 2D Framework - 100% FREE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mas, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mas

mas

Found your little problem .. just a tiny coding error on your side.

In your PlayerAnimation.Update() you always assign the 'animIdle' if your character is not running. So if you activate jump, the next cycle, the idleAnimation is activated, followed again by the 'Jump' animation from frame 1 (because your current animation just changed) and
    will show the 1st frame of the jump animation during the entire jumping time.

if you change this code

Code (csharp):
    1.     } else {
    2.         if (anim.animation != OT.AnimationByName("animIdle")) {
    3.             anim.animation = OT.AnimationByName("animIdle");
    4.             anim.Play();
    5.         }
    6.     }
    to

Code (csharp):
    1.     } else {
    2.         if (!states.jump)
    3.         {
    4.             if (anim.animation != OT.AnimationByName("animIdle")) {
    5.                 anim.animation = OT.AnimationByName("animIdle");
    6.                 anim.Play();
    7.             }
    8.         }
    9.     }
    It will function a lot better...

TIP! Did you know that you can add multiple animation framesets to one animation object, so put all 3 animations into one object. This way you dont have to lookup each animation when you change it but just assign the right animation.animationFrameset (string), to play it.

You do a lot of lookups now and that could become costly if your game will grow with many objects. If you still would like to use different animation objects, the better way would be to do a pre-lookup and chache your objects into variables.

2. Octo

Octo

Aha, so it is a logic error. I will fix it. It is peculiar how it wouldn't show frame 113 though. As long as it play the animation it should be fine.

Yes, I should use framesets. This is kind of a quick and dirty attempt to get some core gameplay going and get familiar with your system because I have some ideas to build on top of it.

I very much appreciate your support and if you don't mind I will post any interesting developments if they come up with regards to Orthello here later :)

3. mas

mas

No problem .. I am glad that Orthello can do things for you and hope to read more about your interesting developments.

4. mas

mas

Version 1.9 released.

- Fixed some minor bugs
    - OT.View now has a bool forceOrthographic (defaults to true) so by disabling this, one could
    create a 2.5D game using orthello or integrate 2D with 3D.

http://bit.ly/pwoWVZ

5. Relfos

Relfos

Hi Mas!
    First of all thanks for the Orthello lib.
    I've been using it in my latest project, but right now I've found a problem (maybe bug?)

Let's say that I have a spritesheet that contains lots of items, for example, different types of fruits (apples, oranges, etc).
    Now I want to create sprites of those at run-time, I should be able to use an OTSprite and just the frameIndex to select the right fruit right?
    I can't do that, it appears as grey rectangle. But if I create it as OTAnimatedSprite and create a different OTAnimation for each fruit (1 frame each), it works. Of course, this is lots of work for something that should be done in a easy way.

Here's the code I used to create it from a OTSprite (does not work, bug or I missing something?)
    Code (csharp):
    2.         fruitSheet = OT.CreateObject(OTObjectType.SpriteSheet).GetComponent<OTSpriteSheet>();
    3.         fruitSheet.texture = fruitTexture;
    4.         fruitSheet.framesXY = new Vector2(6, 1);
    5.         fruitSheet.sheetSize = new Vector2(fruitTexture.width, fruitTexture.height);
    6.         fruitSheet.frameSize = new Vector2(32, 32);
    8.     fruit = OT.CreateObject(OTObjectType.Sprite).GetComponent<OTSprite>();
    9.         fruit.spriteContainer = fruitSheet;
    10.     fruit.transparent = true;
    11.     fruit.collidable = false;
    12.     fruit.frameIndex = 0; // or 1 or 2, none work
    13.     fruit.position = new Vector2(0, 150);
    Also, another problem, I can' t change the color of a transparent sprite. Tried the following, does not work:

s.materialReference = "alpha";
    s.tintColor = Color.red;
    s.renderer.material.SetColor("_Color", new Color(.0f, .0f, .4f));

Or

s.materialReference = "tint";
    s.tintColor = Color.red;
    s.renderer.material.SetColor("_TintColor", new Color(.0f, .0f, .4f));

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. apparition

apparition

I ran into the same issue. You need to wait until the sprite container is initialized (i.e. fruitSheet.isReady is true) and then create your sprites.

7. mas

mas

True,

In addition to that also call OT.RuntimeCreationMode (), just before you are creating items from scratch.

8. zlanemerennah

zlanemerennah

thanks for Orthello in the first place! but I've got into some trouble after upgrade to 3.5 preview, is it compatible/fixable at all? lot of good starter work gone :eek:

9. mas

mas

As 3.5 is still in beta and not official released, we will fix issues as soon as the 3.5 becomes stable and official. So no 3.5 support yet

10. mas

mas

Orthello 1.10 released

- Upgraded to Unity 3.5 version
    - Auto disconnect prefab when adding objects to the scene
    - OnCollision now works with Physical RidgidBody sprites ( Example 6 )
    - Fixed Atlas resizing issue when offsetsizing was set to false.

REGARDING Unity3D 3.5 version update.

The prefab system became stricter (better?) but this lead to strange behaviour in Orthello when the Orthello 'prefab' Objects were dragged from the project list into the scene's hierarchy. An automatic prefab disconnect was implemented as a solution.

This solution will only work when 'new' prefab Orthello objects are dragged into your scene. Therefore .. When you are opening an existing Orthello project in 3.5, make sure that all your OTObjects like : OT, sprites, animations, containers etc are not linked to the original prefab.

If there are .. you will see the name in a blue color in your scene's hierarchy .. you can disconnect these blue objects by selecting them one by one, or choosing [Menu][Game Object][Disconnect Prefab Instance] When the blue color of the name turns into white you will know that the object is no longer linked.

Orthello can be downloaded here

New package was just submitted to the assetstore .. so could take some time before it is available .. watch the version 1.10+ .. 1.9 is stil for 3.4

11. beco13

beco13

Hi mas what a great work you have here...

I've downloaded your work, and now working on a 2D game using your work...
    however, I've encounter a problem.

I have a prefab using a tint material reference. And in the gameplay, I want to instantiate the prefab with a different material reference, i.e. I want it to be alpha. but the result is that I get a warning message that the alpha value can't be set on this material reference.
    I change the material reference through this code :

Perhaps you can explain to me how to change the material reference via code without changing the original prefab.
    thanks for the reply.
    hope to hear from you soon.

============Problem Update==================
    and in update function I want it to be more visible in time
    the result I'm getting is an invisible object with the alpha value equals 1 and the object is still invisible

============Problem Update==================

another Update:
    I'm getting the expected result when I deploy it on my iPad, while playing on unity I'm not getting the expected result..I wonder what's wrong :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  12. mas

mas

Hi there beco13,

Great to hear you are using Orthello and like it.

The warning message means that the materialReference is still set to 'tint' instead of 'alpha'. This is because you are using the inspector properties ( that start with a _ ) to change the settings.

Have you tried the normal properties?

( TIP! also use a variable to store your component, this will save some cpu )

try the code below

Code (csharp):
    1. function Start()
    2. {
    3.     OTSprite sprite = this.GetComponent<OTSprite>();
    4.     sprite.materialReference = "alpha";
    5.     sprite.tintColor = Color.grey;
    6.     sprite.alpha = 0.2f;
    7. }

13. millordme

millordme

Thanks for excellent framework.

I have a question, for iphone/android touch screen, how do I detect touch and/or swipe ?

Many thanks.

14. Vincent_soo

Vincent_soo

I just downloaded this asset and wanna give it a try, but I get this error

Assets/Orthello/Standard Assets/OT/Graphics/Sprites/OTFilledSprite.cs(7,31): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `OTSprite' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Orthello/Standard Assets/OT/Tweening/OTEaseElasticInOut.cs(28,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `OTEase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I am kindly new to unity, any solution?

15. hima

hima

mas, would it be possible for us to extend the free version of Orthello? No commercial purpose, in case you're wondering.

16. 15951836388

5 - Creating At the Runtime
    //if (starTime > starSpeed)
    if (stars.Count <30)
    I changed the code To produce 30 one-time star, there will be see a red box! !
    There I would like to use code to create SpriteAtlas-Cocos2D?

in the Hierarchy,, although gameObject.active=false, resources are loaded. If I have a lot of animation, which can cause a lot of resource consumption.
    (You can use Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll can view)

Sorry for my bad english

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  17. mas

mas

Thanks , I am happy that you like it.

You could use the OTSprite.onInput delegate to capture all kinds of input. If you would like to
    detect swipes .. no support for this has been implemented so you should write your own code for that.

read

http://www.wyrmtale.com/orthello/user-input

for more info.

18. mas

mas

Retry an import .. in a previous publish to the asset store .. not all files were published correctly so I think that your download is not complete.

19. mas

mas

You are free to use and extend the code if you want. You are not allowed to publish the extended version as a framework or commercial component of your own.

I would like to remind you to the fact that extending could make it harder to update to a future version.

20. mas

mas

I do not really understand what you are saying.

21. 15951836388

comes in orthello with five examples.
    I change the code.

case 1:
    / / We are in the star so increase, the stage star creation the wait time
    starTime + = Time.deltaTime;
    / / Check if we may create a new star
    / / If (starTime> starSpeed)
    if (stars.Count <30)
    {
    / / Lets create one, and reset the the wait time
    starTime = 0;
    / / Create a copy of out animating star
    OTAnimatingSprite newStar = Instantiate (star) as OTAnimatingSprite;
    / / Put this star in our the active stars The list
    stars.Add (newStar);
    / / Give it a random size
    newStar.size * = (0.3f + Random.value * 2.5f);
    / / Give it a random position on the right the border of the screen
    newStar.position = new Vector2 ((Screen.width / 2) + newStar.size.x / 2,
    ((Screen.height / 2) * -1) + newStar.size.y / 2 + Random.value * (Screen.height - newStar.size.y));
    / / Calculate the depth (smaller stars to the back, bigger to the front)
    / / NewStar.depth = (int) ((1 / newStar.size.x) * 100);
    / / Set material to the additive.
    newStar.additive = true;
    newStar.frameIndex = 0;
    }

/ / Lets the loop all the active stars The
    / / HINT: Because we will be adjusting (removing) items as they get out of view,
    / / We better not use a for () loop. The While () is the better way for this.
    int s = 0;
    while (s <stars.Count)
    {
    / / Get the next the active star
    OTAnimatingSprite dStar = stars ;
    / / Increase its position
    dStar.position + = new Vector2 (stars . size.x * 3 * Time.deltaTime * -1, 0);
    / / If the star gets out of view we will the remove and destroy it
    if (dStar.outOfView)
    {
    / / Remove from an active stars The list
    stars.Remove (dStar);
    / / Destroy the this the object
    OT.DestroyObject (dStar);
    / / No need to increment the iterator as we just removed the current element
    }
    else
    s + +; / / increment the iterator
    }
    break;
    You will find that at runtime, resulting in the place of the stars, a red box fleeting

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  22. mas

mas

I think that best thing would be that you create a package of your project and send it to info at wyrmtale dot com.
    This way I can check what is going wrong and if it is a bug or if it is a programming error.

23. 15951836388

You will find that at runtime, resulting in the place of the stars, a red box fleeting

Attached Files:

24. millordme

millordme

Hi Mas

the OTObject's 'y' coordinate seems weird to me.
    if I put an object's position as an offset to anther object, (to simulate parent), the y-coordination is wrong, and it seems to be caused by intended negative sign (to flip the y-axis).
    I change the '-y' back to 'y' and it seems fix the issue, but I'm afraid if I mis-understand the issue. could you explain to me why the y-axis is intentionally flipped? (on OTObject.cs).

Patch below:
    =================================
    @@ -636,7 +636,7 @@ public class OTObject : MonoBehaviour
    public Vector2 position {
    get {
    if (transform != null)
    - return new Vector2 (transform.position.x - offset.x, transform.position.y + offset.y);
    + return new Vector2 (transform.position.x - offset.x, transform.position.y - offset.y);
    else
    return Vector2.zero;
    }
    @@ -651,7 +651,7 @@ public class OTObject : MonoBehaviour
    pos.y = Mathf.Clamp (pos.y, minY, maxY);
    }
    _paintingDepth = depth + (pos.y / 1000) + (pos.x / 10000);
    - transform.position = new Vector3 (pos.x + offset.x, pos.y - offset.y, _paintingDepth);
    + transform.position = new Vector3 (pos.x + offset.x, pos.y + offset.y, _paintingDepth);
    _position = pos;
    _position_ = pos;
    }

25. millordme

millordme

Hi Mas,

Another but maybe related issue.
    The OTObject's rect.Contains(point) seems not working, the issue your framework use negative y-axis and Unity3D's implementation seems not smart enough to use the correct 'minY / maxY' when doing Contains().

Change the OTObject's rect implementation as below seems fix the issue:
    ===============================
    rect
    {
    get
    {
    Rect r = new Rect(
    renderer.bounds.center.x - (size.x / 2),
    renderer.bounds.center.y - (size.y / 2),
    size.x,
    size.y);
    return r;
    }
    }

Best.

26. mas

mas

Can you make a screenshot because I have just normal stars floating .. no red boxes.

What I did ...

1. create a new project
    2. imported the Orthello package
    3. imported your red.package
    4. run example 5. (C#)

Attached Files:

27. mas

mas

I dont really understand the issue.

Vector2 OTObject.position is just (x ( - left to right +) , y ( - bottom to top +)) coordinates.
    It is always in 2D orthographic world coordinates using the Cartesian coordinate system,
    which is the regular 2D coordinate system.

so sprite.position = parent.position + new Vector(10,10) would offset the sprite 10 to the right and 10 to the top
    of the parent sprite.

The little example code below does exactly how I would expect it to behave.

Code (csharp):
    1. public class test_offsetting : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     public OTSprite a_parent;
    4.     public OTSprite a_child;
    5.     public Vector2 a_offset = Vector2.zero;
    7.     // Use this for initialization
    8.     void Start () {
    10.     }
    12.     // Update is called once per frame
    13.     void Update () {
    14.         a_child.position = a_parent.position + a_offset;
    15.     }
    16. }
    Can you give a code example how you are simulating parenting using offset positioning, and how it is
    behaving and what you would expect?

28. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Can the free version of Orthello 2D Framework be used in commercial projects or do I have to purchase the pro version?

I apologize if this is already answered, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the website and I don't really feel like going through 7 pages of posts to find the answer.

29. mas

mas

Yes the 100% free version can be used in your commercial projects.. no problem .. however .. a commercial game/application would definitly benefit from some Orthello Pro features, the the sprite batching stuff in particular.

Your are not allowed to pack the free version into a component and sell it commercially as a component of your self.

Kind regards and GL

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  30. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Cool. I kind of figured that, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

31. wolfate

wolfate

If anyone could please help me! I'm new to Unity and Orthello 2D

I'm following this tutorial and I have problem which seems I'm not the only one who is facing it. When I press play all objects go back to 0,0,0 or the place they're duplicated from, but I found that what causing this was the Prefab, if I delete the Prefab of an instance everything works. Then I read here breaking Prefab instance will solve the issue, but the problem now when I create a Prefab I found that it doesn't have the sprite container or the animation.

It looks like there is a known issue that I can't use Prefab to apply changes to all objects in my level! :(
    So please could anyone tell me how to create Prefabs without losing the sprite and the animation? Thank you.

32. mas

mas

Orthello does not support using prefabs. The best approach would be to create an object prototype, put it in your scene's hierarchy (in OT>Prototypes) and instance it using OT.CreateObject({prototype name}.

This way you can manage your prototypes in your scene and when creating an instance, the prototype object is copied.

| read more about prototypes here |

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  33. Ivorius

Ivorius

Great work on Orthello 2D, I love it so far :D

Right now I'm searching for a way to seperate hitboxes from the image size.
    For example, imagine a bullet hell, where your ship is bigger than its hitbox, or maybe a bowman, whose bow is double his width.
    Is there a good way to do that in the latest version? I haven't found it yet. :/

34. 15951836388

At the beginning of running the moment

win7 operating system

Attached Files:

35. 15951836388

put it in your scene's hierarchy。
    it has been loaded。
    This may cause a waste of resources。

I create 20 object prototype, put them in your scene's hierarchy (in OT>Prototypes)。
    But I only use an animation spite。。。。

36. 15951836388

Again, I changed the code. .
    This is very obvious

Attached Files:

37. mas

mas

If you set your OTSprite.physics setting to custom, you will be able to change the size of the attached collider (==hitbox) manually.

38. mas

mas

I am wondering ...

Does the purple box change to the desired sprite and is it behaving normaly after doing so or does the purple box move left on screen without using the desired animating image?

39. apparition

apparition

I had the same issue in my game. The purple box appears on the first frame of the sprite's existence and then changes to the actual image on the next frame. It seems to happen because the sprite container on the sprite isn't set until the second frame. My workaround for this is to set the container myself when creating the OTAnimatingSprite.

15951836388, you should also make sure to wait for OT.ContainersReady() before creating any sprites.

40. mas

mas

15951836388, I advise to try the solution that apparation described. I will investigate in this behaviour and solve it in a future patch.
    ( I assume it only happens when creating animating sprites from scratch )

41. millordme

millordme

The way I use offset is :

Code (csharp):
    3.    OTSprite parent = xxxxx;
    4.    OTSprite child  = xxxxx;
    6.    parent.position = new Vector2(100,100);
    8.    child.offset = parent.position;
    9.    child.position = new Vector(10,10);
    from the above code, what I expect is child would (at least initially) be positioned (10,10) relative to (100,100), ie(110,110), but in the framework, it's positioned ( 100+10, -100+10) --> (110, -90)

42. mas

mas

There is no public OTObject.offset property. This property is protected and used internally when determining offsetting when using an atlas where offsetSizing = true. There is a (non documented) OTObject._offset property that is hidden in the inspector because this one is also only for internal usage.

Orthello does not come with offsetting support. As I said before, OTObject.position is always in world coordinates and if you would offset a child related to a parent you should use the example I provided above.

43. 15951836388

how to set the sprite mirror?
    how to set the tweening of sprite to Pause or start?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  44. WolfGames

WolfGames

What about built to Flash???

45. mas

mas

Flash is not supported (yet).

I am working on it, but is a tricky thing because of some non- unity 2 flash supported techniques

46. mas

mas

What do you mean by sprite mirror?

47. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

Hi Martijn, I've been writing the lode runner tutorial series over at rocket5studios.com using the free version of Orthello. I didn't realize that Orthello doesn't support Prefabs, I had been recommending creating prefabs from the sprites for the level objects/tiles and that had been working fine for me. But clearly some people have been running into issues with them.

I looked at the docs for your "Prototype" solution, but I don't understand how this is a suitable replacement for Prefabs in cases where you want to build a level from pre existing sprite objects and see those results in the editor as you work. It sounds like the Prototype system is used mainly for runtime instantiation of objects and not for building out scenes in the editor with pre-made (prefab) components. Or am I misunderstanding something about how OT Prototypes work?

I received reports from folks following my tutorials that some of the level sprites were coming up "scrambled", so I opened up the tutorial scenes I provide which were made with Unity 3.4 (I've since upgraded to Unity 3.5 and Orthello 1.10c) and sure enough some of the individual sprites are showing the entire sprite atlas instead of the correct Frame Index. Since the level is made from Prefab orthello sprites, I assume this is happening because Prefabs aren't supported. If I open up the project with Unity 3.4, all of the sprites look correct, so this must be a combination of using Prefabs and upgrading the project to 3.5.

Long story short, can you advise me on how I can revise my tutorials to support OT Prototypes rather than Unity Prefabs or perhaps you know of some other solution that would make sense for building 2D tile-based levels with Orthello objects in the Unity editor?

-Tim

48. mas

mas

At this time I am working on a solution to completely support Unity prefabs.

- auto marking changed position, scale and rotation when changing the sprites in the scene view.
    - auto linking and mapping sprites to animation and containers when they are dragged into the scene.
    - auto linking and mapping containers to animation objects when they are dragged into the scene.

With this coming patch that I am finalizing as we speak ... you will be able to put your sprites, animation and sprite containers in prefabs and drag them into your scenes in any order.

However ...

I dont know if this will fix problems when converting a project to 3.5 so .. could you please package your 3.4 project and send it to me info @ wyrmtale (dot) com. I will check it for you and maybe .. fix some additional errors.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  49. millordme

millordme

Hi,

What is the right way to destroy all OTObject/Animation ?

I have a scene that produce some animation using OTTween(xxx).Tween("position".....), but there are case that if user hit a button to reload/change a scene, I would call OT.DestroyAll(); expecting it to kill all OTObject including Animation objects (and controller).

However, from time to time I would get exception about accessing destroyed unity3d object by the OTObject/controller.

Do I need to keep track of all OTTween object and call tween.stop() ? ( that would be very tedious) or there is another call beside OT.DestroyAll() that would kill all animation?

50. mas

mas

There was a problem with cleanup of tweens when migrating to another scene for example. I solved this and this fix will be available in the next update that will be released this week. At this time I am finalizing the latest version regarding the prefab support.