Search Unity

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber

Another ORK1 question---if you're calling a Global Event, do you end the event in the Global Event or in the event that calls it or both?

Thanks very much for any help. : )

2. David5988

David5988

Another question: If you notice in the video, the bow was floating, so I separated the character and the weapon in 2 separate files. How can I attach the bow to the character, for example, in the character back?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. Catacomber

Catacomber

You could send me your file if you like and I could take a look at it. I pm'd you my email address. I'm not a graphic artist so if there's something wrong with the character's graphics or animations you're using I wouldn't know how to fix it.

There is a way to attach the weapon to the player--in the old ORK thread at the old ORK RPG kit forum, I remember there was a question about that.

But I don't remember the answer. Again, look at the Demo---see how Brown Pants' Sword is attached. Its fbx is separate from his fbx.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. Catacomber

Catacomber

Another ORK1 question----

Can your player save OVER a previous save file without any confusion to the editor. Let's say you save at a save point in Slot 1---and you go back to that save point many actions later, can you re-save at that save point OVER Slot 1 without any problem?

Or do you have to use a fresh Save Slot.

Thanks for any help.

5. cynel

cynel

So any news for a Final Release.

6. jakieb

jakieb

I would also like to know this and would ORK work well with a 2D game, sprites and all?

7. cynel

cynel

Oh yea that Would be awesome to Use the framework to make a 2D RPG

8. Catacomber

Catacomber

Using ORK1, does anyone know how to call the Menu in C# code? I know it's something like what I use to call the Battle Menu but I don't know what to change to call the Menu. : ) This is what I use to call the Battle Menu:
    Code (csharp):
    3. GameHandler.Party().GetPlayerCharacter().ShowBattleMenu(BattleMenuMode.BASE, null);

Thanks for any help. I need the Menu that shows the player's stats, party, skills and quests. The Menu. : ) Using iOS, can't call it by using a key.

9. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

I've found that if I have multiple Auto Start events in a scene, only one will trigger simultaneously. So what I did in my game was I offset the start times 0.1 sec; so the first would start at 0 sec, the second at 0.1 sec, and the third at 0.2 sec, etc.

1. I have way more than ten Global Events, don't have any issues with that.
    2. I did both, for example:
    In the event that calls it:
    -all the steps in the event
    - call global event step
    - end event step
    In the global event:
    - All the other steps like usual
    - end event step

3. Other than the game complete save, I don't have any issues with overwriting game files.
    However I've had a couple reports that the game crashes when you overwrite a previous save with the game complete save.

10. drewradley

drewradley

Here is the code I used with NGUI:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public void EquipmentMenu ()
    2.     {
    5.         MenuHandler.GetObject().SetActiveScreen(2, true);
    7.     }
    10.     public void ItemsMenu()
    11.     {
    12.          MenuHandler.GetObject().SetActiveScreen(1, true);
    13.     }
    14.     public void CharMenu()
    15.     {
    16.          MenuHandler.GetObject().SetActiveScreen(4, true);
    17.     }

11. Catacomber

Catacomber

@GrumpyOldMan and
    @drewradley

Thank you so much! Let me try your suggestions. I think the save file thing is a bug. I glitch if I save over an old save file and then exit and then reenter the game loading that save file. I can no longer tap on my HUD that calls the menu, set up in the HUD section of the editor. Maybe that doesn't save somehow? The Player HUD is still there but not my HUD that if you tap on it, calls the player stats, quests, inventory, etc and the exit menu. As Quests are most important in my game, this was a big problem to be solved.

I'm sure it will be fixed and also work fine in ORK2. Haven't tried ORK2, maybe someone else could check saving and leaving the game and reentering the game using a save file on mobile, iOS or android in ORK2. And see if you make a custom HUD, if it saves and reloads ok.

gamingislove is aware of the problem and is checking it out.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  12. Catacomber

Catacomber

@drewradley---that code, modified a little, opens the menus but only for a few seconds for me. I think it's because I'm not using NGUI. Let me see if I can make them stay open longer with a wait script or some other way. Thanks very much. I'm almost there. : )

EDITED:

This modification of your script works perfectly for me--I'm not using NGUI--so have to use OnGUI--of course you have to have a menu button in each scene if you want to call the menu on mobile like this. It's working really well for me.

Code (csharp):
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using System.Collections;
    6. public class myEquipButton : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public Texture2D icon;
    10.     void OnGUI() {
    12.         if(GUI.Button (new Rect (20, 110, 80, 80), icon)  (GameHandler.IsControlField()  !GameHandler.IsBlockControl())) {
    14.         MenuHandler.GetObject().SetActiveScreen(0, true);
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    Now to see if it saves. EDIT: And it does!!!! :p

Thanks. : )

13. Catacomber

Catacomber

@GrumpyOldMan and
    @drewradley

Thank you both for your invaluable help. This is indeed a wonderful forum. With both your help, I'm ok loading and saving and exiting and loading and saving over and loading and exiting, etc and being able to call the menu via an onscreen button.

It's a walk around because there still seems to be some saving bug that causes my HUD item that I used to call the menu before---made in the HUD editor-- not to work after saving and exiting the game and reloading the save, but right now I'm ok with the walk around and can finish testing. I'm on mobile so this is probably only a mobile problem.

You have to be able to call your menu on mobile by touching something. I was trying to use a HUD in the HUD editor but it didn't somehow save.

You probably could activate a keyboard where you can input the key that would call the menu -- which I haven't tried yet. I guess it would be another choice but not a sleek one. It would have been my desperation choice.

@GrumpyOldMan--

The waits for the autostarts is/are wonderful as was your other help with my save problem.

Thanks to both of you again!

gamingislove was trying to help me but he's traveling -- I know how difficult it is to help when you're traveling---you guys pitched in at a time when I really needed you. :p I was on my last hair.

Happy Holidays to all of you who celebrate the Holidays. I'll be traveling too soon to get home for the holidays. Hoping to have a big box of Catnip under the tree. And hoping I can fool Santa Claus into thinking I'm a short reindeer, slightly on the furry side, so I can help pull his sleigh. ; 0 What nicer job than to help deliver gifts to children, as I'll be doing. : ) Merry Christmas!

Attached Files:

14. cynel

cynel

got an error using ork framework today now its stuck like this NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  15. Catacomber

Catacomber

An ORK1 question which might also be the same in ORK2.

When you're saving to File in ORK on iOS, what is the location of this file you're saving to? Is it an xml file? And is it something you can locate in Xcode? Thanks.

And one more question which is probably also the same for ORK2---if you're working with number variables, do you have to set the number variable to 0 before you can start incrementing or decrementing it and checking it.

For example--I'm using a variable "letter" and I want to increase it to 7 as the player finds different objects and then check in an event that it is indeed 7. Do I have to have an event that sets it to 0 first? I'm testing this right now but it will be awhile before my player will get to where that number variable gets set and to where you pick up the items that increase it. This seems not to work too well if you don't set the number variable to 0 first. It makes sense to me that you'd have to initialize the variable to 0 before you can add or subtract from it. I can think of a lot of uses for this so want to get it working smoothly.

Let me see what happens. : ) Thanks.

Also, I have 329 instances of this in the console and don't know what's causing -- it doesn't seem to interfere with things working but it's strange--

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    EventInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/RPG Kit/Editor/Inspectors/EventInspector.cs:110)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  16. Xardyon

Xardyon

How do I fix this:

after I build for web or PC my ORK framework crashes and will not open the editor for it.

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework beta17a released

Two bugfixes: >release notes<

Official release news

You can find details on the official release and it's features >here<.

@Xardyon
    Do you get any errors in the console?

@catacomber
    Seems like one of your event interactions is throwing those errors. Find out which one and click on 'Check Event' :)
    I'll get to test your save problem after Christmas!

@cynel
    I guess we solved this via email?
    But I'll look into why it happened :)

18. StarAbove

StarAbove

Just wondering. Does Ork work well with UFPS created by visionpunk? I look at how to add external controllers/cameras and it seem I only have to let Ork know the name of the UFPS scripts. Anyone know if it should work?

19. cynel

cynel

Yeah we did i think the problem was i forgot to close ORK framework window before closed Unity project.

20. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks. Is there any easy way to check which event is causing the problem. I have 300!

I still have save load problems but am going to start.formal betatesting this Friday anyway. I should have some reports for you from a bunch of iphone5, iPad and iPad mini users. Thanks for all your help. Merry Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  21. gamingislove

gamingislove

Merry Christams everybody

Have a good time with your family and loved ones :)

@StarAbove
    I haven't tested it, but as long as it has control scripts on the player/camera and you let ORK know the name of the script, it should work.
    But you can simply try it with the free version: >download<

@cynel
    Will be solved in the official release, already found the source :)

@catacomber
    There is no easy way - you need to click on the events in the scene until one starts spamming those errors :D

22. Xardyon

Xardyon

yes GIL the error I receive is this:

VerificationException: Error verifying ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation:Automate<T> (System.Reflection.FieldInfo,T,ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor,bool,ORKFramework.AttributeHelper): Could not merge stack at depth 1, types not compatible: T ([boxed] Complex) X T ([boxed] Complex) at 0x03bf
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Automate[GameControlsSettings] (ORKFramework.GameControlsSettings instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.GameControlsTab.ShowSettings ()
    ORKFramework.Editor.GameControlsTab.ShowTab ()
    ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorSection.ShowTab ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I get this everytime I build whether it's web player or PC

23. cynel

cynel

that's good to hear.

24. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Xardyon
    I don't get this error when building for PC or WebPlayer. The error is hinting at editor code, which shouldn't even be part of the build - please check if ORKFrameworkEditor.dll is located in Assets/ORK Framework/DLL/Editor/.

25. gamingislove

gamingislove

New game tutorial

The next game tutorial is ready: >game controls<
    Setting up player/camera controls and pausing the game :)

The next tutorial will cover menu screens!

Official Release news

Some new stuff that's coming in the next version:
    - blocking move AI in events
    - item collection dialogue will be optional, you can collect stuff immediately
    - music can be changed in shops and menu screens

26. nixter

nixter

The ORK Framework DRM is preventing me from accessing my ORK game. I get the following message:

This is very frustrating. I wanted to work on my game some during the holidays. :(

27. Catacomber

Catacomber

I got that too when I had ORK2 working on Windows and wanted to work in Mac. I solved it by closing ORK2 on Windows---checking it back in--I forget how you do that but I think there was a button.

And then I was ok opening it on my Mac.

Of course, if you have it open on a computer you can't currently access, you do have a problem.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  28. Catacomber

Catacomber

I'm particularly happy about music change in shops and menu screens!

I think I may have rooted out my problem with save/load. I had changed the name of my game after checking the Unity forum to see if that was ok. Well, I don't think that's a good thing to do. When I look into the guts of my name-changed game, I see two C sharp sin files and two user prefs files. Not good. Hoping my rebuild of my game will not have any problem. It's not that hard to rebuild and coming along well.

It's actually better. This isn't the first time I've rebuilt a game. : ) It's always better.

Every time I use ORK, I'm amazed at how well it does things.

And more importantly, I'm thankful for gamingislove's always trying to help. You can't really ask for more.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  29. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nixter
    Please send me your username to accounts@orkframework.com, than I can release your key.
    As announced earlier - the DRM will be removed with the official release :)

@catacomber
    As far as I know, the PlayerPrefs and persistent data path (where files are stored) are bound to a GUID that is created upon building the game. So, every time you build the game in Unity (i.e. a new build, not updating an existing one), you should receive a new GUID and loose your old saves ...

30. Xardyon

Xardyon

Welp gotta fix not sure if anyone did have this issue but it seem to remain in the a web player state after the build. so switching back to PC platform fixed the problem. Life's good again and btw, your awesome GIL, the whole system so far has been amazing.

31. Catacomber

Catacomber

Reading in the Unity forum, some people have had trouble saving using persistentDataPath on ios7. 'm not sure Unity has really caught up to iOS7 yet but most people are using it. I don't know anyone who isn't.

iOS 7 is not even a choice in Unity's drop down menu in Player Settings for iOS--it's "iOS6" or "other". Keep in mind I love Unity but I think maybe a little work there is needed. iOS7 has been out for a long while.

I'm thinking maybe saving to playerprefs on iOS 7 is the way to go. My file isn't that big.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  32. gamingislove

gamingislove

New Game Tutorial

The newest game tutorial is the first of a series about creating >menu screens<.

The next one will continue with the next menus :)

@catacomber
    I'm also quite sure it isn't really an ORK problem - there is not much else to do than saving to a file or PlayerPrefs, it's not rocket science :D

33. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks for all your help. I think for now saving to playerprefs is safer than save to file on iOS if you're using ios7.

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

New game tutorial

The next lesson about >creating menu screens< is ready.
    This time it's about adding an equipment and ability menu.

The next tutorial will conclude the menu stuff with the status menu and some other settings :)

Happy New Year everyone!

35. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Cool tutorial as always.
    Happy New Year to you too!

36. Catacomber

Catacomber

Happy New Year!!!!!

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

Official release news

Some new stuff that's coming:

Tooltip HUDs
    They'll now also be displayed above item collectors (Single and Random only, for Box item collectors, you need to add a Scene Object to the collector).

Control Maps
    The control map keys got a new Type setting to define what'll happen when the key is used. Additionally to using an Action or Shortcut slot, they can now also enable/disable a combatant's Auto Attack.
    This will reset the Use Shortcut setting (because it's gone :D).

Battle Advantages
    You can now set a group (player or enemy) to have a defined number of first phases in Phase> type battles (like with the first turns in Turn Based battles).

Experience Gain: Level Difference Factor
    Yeah, finally - you can have different experience gains depending on the level difference between defeated combatant and the one receiving experience.
    You can set them up in the Experience status value, define the level difference (0 would be same level, -1 means the defeated combatant is one level higher, 1 means the defeated combatant is one level lower) and the factor by which the experience is multiplied (1 is 100 %, 0.5 is 50 %, 1.75 is 175 %).
    The nearest found difference will be used, e.g. when the real difference is 10 levels and the highest defined is 5, the factor of the 5 level difference is used.

38. cynel

cynel

wow any idea when is the release date?

39. Jelly-Paladin

Jelly-Paladin

Oh, this will be helpful. =) Actually, I'm surprised I didn't realize it didn't exist before, especially since I'm taking a page out of Phantasy Star IV and having the player start off with one party member at a notably higher level than the others. It's definitely relevant to me.

Happy new year to you, gamingislove!

40. Catacomber

Catacomber

My rebuild using player prefs to save in ios7 and a slightly smaller file is coming along--ORK1--Betatesting should start sometime this week.

This is a screenie from the beginning where you meet one of the island spirits in the game and she asks you some questions. I answered female to her first question. : ) Tried to make the graphics as appealing as possible and still get it to run on mobile devices. : )

So far things are working as expected. As my file grows bigger, I'm hoping it will stay that way. : ) Rebuilding a file is often a good thing as you get bored if you do it the same old way, so generally you make it better. : )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  41. Catacomber

Catacomber

I'm using a battle party now (ORK1) and want all the other battle party members to die if my player character dies. It should be game over if my player dies.

How can I do that? : ) I'm using Real Time Battles but this should be able to happen in all the other battle systems because if your player dies, you want the game to be over---usually.

I don't want my player to be a skeleton and his other friends in the battle party able to trudge on.

Any help is appreciated as always. This is rather important because if that can't happen, I don't want to use a battle party other than my player. Tested this and am asking because I had some trouble getting it to happen. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  42. StarAbove

StarAbove

GamingisLove, the tutorials are great. I just have two questions regarding weapons.
    Can the character sheathe the sword? And by sheathe, I meant putting it on his back. I want to make it so that if I click a button, it'll bring out the
    sword and click the button to put it away again.
    And can it do weapon swapping too? For example, I am fighting a monster with a sword and I want to switch it to a spear with a click of a button, can I do that also?

43. edieck

edieck

I am having the same issue as Cynel. What was the solution to get this to work?

Heres the error I get anytime I open "ORK Framwork" dialog and try to click on anything:

VerificationException: Error verifying ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation:Automate<T> (System.Reflection.FieldInfo,T,ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor,bool,ORKFramework.AttributeHelper): Could not merge stack at depth 1, types not compatible: T ([boxed] Complex) X T ([boxed] Complex) at 0x03bf
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Automate[EditorSettings] (ORKFramework.EditorSettings instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorSettingsTab.ShowSettings ()
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorSettingsTab.ShowTab ()
    ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorSection.ShowTab ()

Thanks in advance! :)

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

@catacomber
    In ORK 1, game over is only called when the whole party is dead. You need to do some small code changes in the battle system to change that (there should be a function like 'CheckBattleEnd' or something like that where this is checked).

@StarAbove
    Putting away the sword could be done using variable conditions in the Equipment Viewers and having two of them for the weapon.
    Weapon swapping can be done with shortcut slots - put weapons on shortcut slots and use control maps to use the slots :)

@edieck
    Cynel's error was something else - and the solution was to right click on the ORK Framework tab and select 'Close Tab' ...
    Seems like there's a problem opening the ORK Framework editor when using the WebPlayer build target - please switch to PC/Mac Standalone for now.

Edit: Yes, definitely the WebPlayer build target - will be fixed in the official release (already solved :D).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  45. StarAbove

StarAbove

Thanks very much, GiL! :]

46. David5988

David5988

How can I autostart the animation of the NPC?

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

Wow, we got moved :D
    Interesting, after over 3 years ... well ...

New stuff in the official release

The following things can be found in the upcoming official release:

Editor: Navigation history
    New buttons allow moving back and forward in the sections/sub-sections/data lists you've visited.

Check Transform event step
    Checks an object's position, rotation or scale - you can check each axis separately.

Equipment can override sounds
    An equipped weapon or armor can override the combatant's sounds. Only the selected sound type will be overridden.

Equipment Viewers: Object Variables
    The variable conditions of EV can now also check object variables.

And that's mostly it regarding new features - there's one thing I want to implement: automatic update to all scenes and their components upon changing stuff in the ORK project (like removing an item, so the item collectors need to be udpated ...).
    After that it's only a bit of testing for all platforms - and preparing the release :)

So, yeah, about a week, maybe :D

48. Catacomber

Catacomber

Not sure what you mean. But I have an NPC that begins with his Idle animation--you set that as the default animation in the animations list for your character--whatever animation you want to play first--and you check the box to play automatically--and he has a character controller of course, then in an event, I play an animation on him at a certain point that's a spell casting animation---I do that via play animation step and make him the actor in the event but to just start him doing an animation in the scene, you choose the default animation you want him to play and make sure he has a character controller and check play automatically.

@gamingislove--that's so exciting--test it to death on mobile. : ) I wish I could do that right now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  49. gamingislove

gamingislove

@catacomber
    Will do :)

@David5988
    Sorry, overlooked your questsion.
    Yeah, when using the legacy animation system (with an Animation component), you can select the start animation in the inspector of the object.
    For mecanim I'm not sure ...

50. cynel

cynel

wow that's good to hear