Search Unity

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

I haven't try it yet, but the game seems very good and very polish. It's an inspirational to us ORK users.

How do you change the background image of the Main Menu scene when you press play? Currently, it's of the sky (come with the demo). And how do you delay the Main Menu scene? When I press play, I want something to pop out first before the Main Menu. I have tried with the utmost of my ability to search for it in the editor, but no luck.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

EDIT: Solved it, it was not the script fault, it was a global event i had setup wrong and overlapped with the script

The problem was that in global events i could not pick which character to perform action on, that is why i did it on script

4. Catacomber

Catacomber

Do you mean you want to change the GUI texture of the Main Menu Scene when you hit Play and delay the first scene loading until the player gets a chance to see what you want to show them--what you want to "pop out"?

You'd have to change the ORK script that triggers when you hit the play button. I don't know how you'd do that and right now if you're using ORK2, you can't do that.

I think only gamingislove could help you with modifying the ORK script when you hit the play button, especially if you're using ORK2.

5. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Yeah, kind of like that. If you press the Play Button now, it automatically show the Main Menu scene. For a quick example, I want it to first show the title of the game and then the main menu will slowly fade in.
    Yeah I'm using Ork 2. Thanks for the response! I'll see what GiL say.

6. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

There is a way to delay the appearance of the Main Menu; it's actually an option if I remember correctly. (At work, can't check at the moment...) I'm currently using it for Dead Gear's title screen intro animations. What I'm interested in is how to have a button press skip to directly displaying the Main Menu, as well as instantly skipping through the intro animations as well.

7. kalamona

kalamona

" Paper Sorcerer made with ORK1"

Really? I was considering purchasing it on Desura, but hearing this, I instantly buyed it.

8. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Thanks for buying it!

Yeah, if anyone has any questions about how I did x or y with ORK1 in Paper Sorcerer, feel free to ask. If there's enough questions, I might compile them together in a blog post later. I feel I really learned a lot about how ORK works from using it every day to make Paper Sorcerer for the last year.

9. poofdragon

poofdragon

Just a suggestion, but you might want to also post to the ORK1 part of the forums should you decide to do a writeup on your work. For keeping everything in the same place, if nothing else.

@GiL You might want to add a "Tips, Tricks Tutorials" section to the ORK1 boards. Just a thought ^^

http://forum.orkframework.com/categories/ork-1-and-menu-shop-extension

10. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Oh really? That's awesome. If you got the time, would you mind checking and telling me how you did it? That would be much appreciated.

11. Catacomber

Catacomber

I'm still having a problem in ORK1 of calling a global event just to show a dialogue. I'm using the global event to "read" books as well as to learn skills.

Is there a limit on the number of global events you can call? I have 10 and will probably want to have 15 or 20. For reading books there are only two steps to the event---Show Dialogue and end Event. While my global event that shows a dialogue and the player learns a skill works. My event that just shows a dialogue doesn't work.

Not sure why. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Very puzzling. If I delete 7 of my global events that are about reading books, my one book comes up ok and shows the dialogue. So I'll try adding a global event one at a time but it seems odd. :|

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  12. gamingislove

gamingislove

Beta17 news
    Some details on the new Object Variables:

Object variables allow binding game variables to objects in your scene using a component. The object is identified by an object ID (which is game wide, like the item box ID) - objects sharing the same ID will also share the variables. You can define your own object IDs, or let them be created automatically (with a long an complex string :D).
    The object variables are also integrated into the event system and can be used in formulas and battle AI.

An example use would be an NPC circling through dialogues. Currently, you'd have to use a global game variable as a counter (which might override another game variable you used somewhere else).
    Now, you can simply add the 'Object Variables' component to the NPC (which receives a unique object ID automatically) and use object variables in the event instead. The NPC itself will keep track of the counter and wont interfere with anything else :)

@Shadow_Fire
    Use the Wait Time setting to delay the main menu call. If you're calling the main menu using the game starter, the setting is right there. Otherwise, the setting can be found in Menus > Main Menu.

@catacomber
    Seems strange, can you give me some more details?

13. Catacomber

Catacomber

I like the Object Ids. Can't wait to use them.

I can't give you more details --I wish I could--because I don't know what details would be helpful. I added a lot of new global events for reading books at the same time and called them readJustice, readWisdom, readTruth, etc. because those are the names of the books. I added nine new events. It could be that I added too many at one time and somehow Unity got confused---I don't know.

My Global Event editor seemed to be unstable at that point. If I clicked on the event for say readJustice and then clicked on readTruth the readTruth global event was titled readJustice but if I just closed global events and went back in and clicked on the one for readTruth, it was the right event.

Let me add one book at a time and see how it goes. That's how I did it before. I never added multiple events and then saved my file. Thanks as always for your help. Let me add things one at a time and then I should be able to give you more details.

14. Catacomber

Catacomber

I think it would be great to know more about how you marketed your game. I think most of us are indies here and I know how to get a game up on Apple but I don't know anything at all about how to market a PC game or anything other than an Apple iOS or Mac game inside the appstore.

So that would be very interesting and obviously you did a wonderful job of doing that. In fact beyond all the hard work you did to make Paper Sorcerer, I think you did a stellar job of marketing your game. You are very gifted indeed in that area beyond your artistic and other gifts.

: )

My partner currently is having his second child so I have to look into marketing outside of Apple, on my own. : )

I never heard of Desura and never heard of the place (itch.io) where I bought your game--which I did do, because you deserve it.

: )

Let's see what I could have bought for 4.99:

Not a ticket to a movie--
    Not a Metro North railroad ticket--
    Not a Subway salad--
    Not a Veggie Burger at Burger King--
    Not a lot of other things---

: ) And I'm very happy to have contributed to you something small for a nice challenge and involving dialogue.

15. Catacomber

Catacomber

Paper Sorcerer has been Green Lit. That means it should be available soon on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com

It will be there among games like Broken Sword, the Witcher and many others. : )

That's just wonderful. Congratulations, UltraRunAwayGames, a/k/a GrumpyOldMan!

Price $5.00.

Wow, I got it for 4.99. : ) I feel I got a lucky penny off. : )

Congratulations again to gamingislove! This is sort of his surrogate baby. : )

While we're waiting for the big baby ORK2, it's nice to enjoy this.

I've played a lot of games and it's been awhile since I enjoyed one like this--excluding my own of course, imho. It's really well done. : )

Hoping there will be a sequel. : )

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  16. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Specifically for global events called using an item, I found that consistently the first step is always skipped.
    So what I did was I put in one extra Show Dialogue step with just the text '...'
    That way even if it does display for some reason, it's not too out of place. Hope that sorts it out for you.

Regarding this, I'm not quite sure, but I I've found that the editor gets really slow and unstable in general once you have a lot of events. Duplicating Show Choice event steps consistently crashed the editor after a certain point. Not sure if that's related though.

Well, as far as marketing, my girlfriend does most of that. It only really gained steam after getting some advice from a friend of mine that's been researching this for himself. I'll do a blog post, but here's three rules of thumb:
    • If you make an account, post regularly (for twitter, that's at least four times a day, facebook 2-7 times a week, if you post a thread in a forum, every time you update the game or have new press material, etc.)
    • Start early and post the coolest stuff you have
    • Engage your fans. If they reply to a post, reply back to every one. If they email you, reply back as soon as possible. If you see a new article or video about your game, comment on it as the developer. If you set up a forum, keep up with every thread. This is your main advantage over a a bigger publisher, you can interact directly with the audience.
    And here's a site that has a bunch of useful lists for indies: http://www.pixelprospector.com/indie-resources/

Thanks a ton for buying, I really appreciate the support!
    I found itch.io when I was trying to find info about the Humble widget/Store. Itch.io is starting to get it's own crowd with people that want a storefront alternative, and itch.io is very friendly to use for indie devs. Especially for me, since I'm not really into coding, customizing it was really easy to make it look good.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. nixter

nixter

@GrumpyOldMan

Congrats on the Greenlight!

How much customization did you have code to the ORK1 engine to create Paper Sorcerer? What major systems/classes did you add?

18. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Ah, that delay the main menu. Thanks!

19. Guideborn

Guideborn

20. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks very much for all your replies. :D I will try that trick with the extra step. My events are starting to pile up. : ) And thanks for that link and the three rules of thumb! Show Choice is my bread and butter as I have to give the player a choice of whether or not they accept the quest. So I think am going to add a few quests where you can't refuse and temporarily at least keep the number of quests below 30. : )

I had instability like that with our first game about five years ago so kept the number of quests there to 20---but then somehow things got better or I got better and my average quest list now has been in the 70's for each game except that first one---but since this is our first game with Unity and ORK, will go back to tried and true. : ) I keep backups so whenever anything is unstable, I have backups.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  21. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

I didn't customize much because I'm not good at coding (primarily an artist). The biggest changes I made were to incorporate CInput and to make the first person controller work correctly. For the controller, I mostly relied on catacomber's advice. :)

22. drewradley

drewradley

In ORK 1, how would I go about getting a list of what a character currently has equipped in code? Thanks!

p.s congratz Grumpy Old Man! May your success make you a Happy Old Man. :)

23. Catacomber

Catacomber

My experience with the First Person Mobile Controller has come mostly from help from drewradley--he was very kind to help me with that when I was first trying to get that up and then I modified his scripts to use the Unity free mobile first person controller which I like a lot. : ) I think free is always better anyway if Unity provides it and/or it works. : )

But I am happy to pay for things if they help me like ORK. : ) I bought CInput--btw--GOM ("GrumpyOld Man"). I like a lot about it-- looking forward to using it when I make eventually a pc version of our game--not sure how it will work on mobile but will give it a shot eventually after backing up. : )

Now I'm hoping that ORK2 will allow you to create more than one item using a recipe or whatever crafting is possible. I can't check that right now because I am a few days away from finishing my ORK1 game and then just want to get that fully tested.

But I'm a little bit limited in ORK1 by being able to make only one item as a result of a recipe. I have a walk around for that but it's clumsy and not as sleek as being able to create more than one item resulting from a recipe. In ORK1, I'm using recipes for crafting also. : )

So I'm hoping ORK2 will allow you to create more than one item from a recipe and craft more than one item if you're crafting and to make random items if possible in both. : ) I know asking for the random thing is stretching it but I so love random and I think players like it too. It adds some drama and it's good to be surprised. : )

I have about 24 quests in. Will see how stable they are and then add some more if they're stable. Am using a lot of Choice Dialogues for both tele porters to all scenes and some other events and quests so keeping fingers crossed everything will trigger and I haven't exceeded some limit. My experience with engines hints to me there is at some point a limit for everything and I don't want to go over it. : )

So far, so good.

These are exciting times. : 0

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  24. gamingislove

gamingislove

Beta17 news
    Stuff coming:
    - join/leave battle steps (battle events)
    - start battle step (game events)
    - a text code to display icons placed in a Resources folder
    - firing actions using control maps can automatically select a target
    - doing nothing can be animated
    - real time battle ares :D

The real time battle areas (similar to the old ones) will bring real time battles to a bigger area in your scene. When used with a trigger (collider), the battle is limited to an area - when used without, the battle is in the whole scene. Every spawned combatant (with battle system type real time selected) will automatically join the battle.

@drewradley
    The Character class has a field named equipment, which is basically a list of the equipment parts with equipped stuff. You should be able to handle things from here looking at the code.

@catacomber
    ORK 2 allows creating multiple items with recipes :)

25. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

I've just read the Damage how-to and just want to pop in and say it's fantastic. So many possibilities. Patiently awaiting for the real time battles.

26. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I should be able to figure it out from there.

27. Catacomber

Catacomber

I'm excited and relieved to hear that you can create multiple items with recipes in ORK2. : )

For the real time battle areas---on mobile, in my game using ORK1, you have to collide with the collider in the scene for real time battles in order for the battle menu to appear--if I don't do it that way--if I have the battle menu appearing in the field and in battle, sometimes the HUD gets confused---so the battle menu doesn't show up when you click the icon for it--the player HUD shows up instead. We talked about this in this thread a long, long while back---if I just have the battle menu show up when the player collides with a collider for the battle area in ORK1, there's no problem on ios---hoping I can have the battle menu always visible on mobile in ORK2 with no confusion with the Player's HUD for those times when am not using colliders. :eek: I'd love to test this right now in ORK2 but I can't. Have to finish up. Otherwise I really like the idea of a full battle area in a scene without having to use colliders. Of course, I realize I could do it the same way am doing now and just use colliders but I like the idea of not having to use them. : )

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  28. cynel

cynel

well im excited for beta 17.

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

Beta17 news
    The new Status Value Upgrades work similar to ability trees. You can define upgrades to Normal type status values in the Status Development. Upgrading (i.e. changing the base value, without bonuses) can be bound to experience costs and status requirements.
    You can define by which value a status value will be changed.

Examples (ATK > Normal SV, AP > Experience SV):
    - upgrading ATK by 1 costs 1 AP if ATK is below 30
    - upgrading AKT by 1 costs 2 AP if ATK is below 50

Naturally, there's also a new menu part for this, similar to the ability tree part :)

Btw, the next game tutorials will come after beta17 release - some stuff in there that I want to use in the tutorials :D

30. cynel

cynel

cool features ill be honest this was good beta. Even if i have to Wait for UMA integration after beta.

31. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Aaghh, I really want to try to fit something that uses Status value upgrades into Dead Gear now. :D

32. gamingislove

gamingislove

Beta17 will be released tomorrow
    Including these features:

Difficulties
    The status value and attack/defence multipliers are now faction based.

Combatants
    Finally, the Aggression settings are implemented. Aggressive combatants will hunt their enemies (in the field).
    You can select how a combatant becomes aggressive (e.g. always, on damage, etc.) - when a combatant's aggression state changes, he can notify his fellow group members and other groups of his faction, like a call for help.

Inventory/Ability Menus
    The Default Action setting will let you define what will happen when you select an item/equipment or ability in the menu. Usually you'll Use it - offers the same actions as the sub menus.

Also coming tomorrow - the next 3 game tutorials:
    - damage dealer/zones
    - control maps
    - real time battles

33. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Am psyched!

34. Jelly-Paladin

Jelly-Paladin

So excited for Status Value upgrades. And everything! Keep up all the awesome, gamingislove. :D

35. Catacomber

Catacomber

The Aggression settings are very exciting! : ) Cheers!

36. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

I am psyched too! If it wasn't for this limitation call real life, I would have turn into that yellow hair super saiyan guy.

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

It's the final beta!

Here we are - beta17 released: >release notes<

Some of the cool new features and changes:
    • Object Variables let you bind game variables to objects in your scene
    • Real Time Battle Areas let you fight large scale fights in a big area
    • Status Value Upgrades let you change status values for experience (similar to Ability Trees)
    • New event steps to start battles (game events) and add/remove combatants to a running battle (battle events)
    • Combatant aggression settings allow you to define when a combatant becomes aggressive and if he calls for help
    • Eye candy for status value display: change the displayed value over time
    • Some menu screens support the GUI box tabs
    • The use range settings are now made for each battle system type, and there is a default use range setting in the battle settings

But that's not all, there are 3 new game tutorials to finally deal with real time battles!

>damage dealers and damage zones<
    >control maps<
    >real time battles<

With those 3 tutorials, the battles tutorials are done (for now).
    The next game tutorial will cover game controls.

38. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Agh, can't wait to head home later tonight and snag the update. :D

39. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

GiL, thanks for the long awaited real time battle. And of course, beta 17 is also better than expected.

40. cynel

cynel

wow final beta well its been a good beta test for now even if i had to frezze production on my protoype just to avoid major bugs.

41. EddieLeong

EddieLeong

Hi, I'm using ORK older framework here, I have a senario here that needs some insight from you guys:

Monster attacking player, the monster has a battle animation setup that spawn bullet and shoot towards the player. While the monster attacking, player attacks the monster. Monster's attack should be interrupted by the player's attack.

I've been looking around in the Unity editor and the ORK wiki page and couldn't find a clue on doing this on an easy way ( or may be there is, that i overlooked, need advice on this), so I tried stopping the monster's active battle animation through code, but to no avail. I need help on this. Anyone?

42. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

I used another camera controller from the asset store. In the editor in game control, I put the camera type to none and type in the camera name into the Behavior Name, but when I tried disabling the camera through the event, it won't work. Anything idea why?

Edit: Nevermind. I solved it. Was so easy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  43. Catacomber

Catacomber

I have one more ORK 1 question. I'm using an auto start event dialogue in most scenes. Also using many auto start variable checkers in each scene. Could this cause any problems? It doesn't seem to but want to make sure that's ok. Thanks. : )

44. David5988

David5988

Question about ORK1:

I created a character and while I was testing, the Character gets Stuck on the ground and can't move. How can I solve this problem?

45. gamingislove

gamingislove

@EddieLeong
    Use a skill instead of a base attack - they can be set to be 'cancelable'. Set the other attacks/skills to cancel skills.
    I guess you already have the bullet animation set up?

@catacomber
    Shouldn't be a problem, but keep in mind that you can only have one control blocking event at a time, so you should only use one autostart event with 'block controls' enabled :)

@David5988
    Set the spawn points above the ground, optionally use the 'Spawn on Ground' option. Also check where the root position of your player (position X=0, Y=0, Z=0) is, this should be at the feet of the game object. The root position will be placed at the position of the spawn point.

46. David5988

David5988

Now the player doesn't move. I don't know if its stuck on her feet or is because of the Walk animation.
    The character when its spawns, does the idle animation but when a click to move, it doesn't move.

here's a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aBo74okRjw&feature=youtu.be

Also, in the battle, the enemy does the idle animation, but doesn't loop. What I did wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  47. Catacomber

Catacomber

@David 5988 Are you using the Base Animator Script on your Character and Enemies and did you set up her animations and your Enemies' animations in Project Settings for Characters (your Player) and Enemies?

@gamingislove---thanks very much! :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  48. David5988

David5988

@catacomber Yes and yes.

Update: I reset the character controler and the player now moves, but it looks like her chest are the feet.
    You can see it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Za6EKiJLus&feature=youtu.be

Here's some imagens of the configs.
    Player: (the player only has 3 animations - Idle, walk and attack) - This is just for testing
    http://imageshack.us/a/img51/2290/yhgg.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img833/3853/kf7g.jpg

Goblin (enemy) - The goblin only has the Idle animation
    http://imageshack.us/a/img29/6164/yp6y.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img14/4830/5qf5.jpg

Also... I did that the Character join the party with Brown Pants (in the demo, for testing) but she isn't playable in the battle.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  49. Catacomber

Catacomber

@David5988 Is the prefab for your character that joins the battle in the characters prefab section in ORK Resources?

Is your Battle Party size more than 1?

Look at the characters that do join Brown Pants in the demo and see if that helps.

My guys/gals always have the idle animation as the default, not walk. You are going to walk her with the arrow or wasd keys.

Did you try substituting your gal for Brown Pants in the demo to see how she would work? Of course as you know you have to change the animations that are called in the Project Editor for your character.

I don't think you can use the Default Take animation to run your battle animations--you have to use the regular attack, hit, defend, dodge, die or other animations. I always delete the Default Take from my monsters. I use the animations split out.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  50. Catacomber

Catacomber

Is anyone using more than ten Global Events in ORK1? I want to make sure I keep things stable. I have 32 quests in now and a whole lot of other events, not to mention Item Collectors and other things. Thanks. :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013