Search Unity

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber

@Gladiator It sounds like you lost the prefab connection to your items in the scene. Do you have a copy of the original prefab to see what you're missing? The correct scripts are probably still in your project but became "detached". If you know what needs to be attached, just reattach them.

For example, if you were using the first or third person controller in your game and they lost the prefab connection, you could just look at the original prefabs in your assets folder and reattach the right scripts to the objects in the scene. Or redraw the original prefabs into the scene and remove the ones that lost their scripts.

I've had this happen before. It's not too difficult to fix especially if you have an old file to look at.

I think a character can have only one base class but you can have an npc change that class to another and also offer different skill values. If you want to call the skill values skill classes you can do that.

You can also make it so the player can learn a new skill at a certain level and you can do that by having them talk to an npc or using other methods.!

I hope this helps.

@gamingislove Thanks again for your help and for explaining. : )

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is it possible (ORK 1) to have a passive skill linked to an animation that will check status effects ?

I was looking at the passive skills, but they cant be linked to an animation

I want to be able to check the status effects on the hero and perform a certain battle animation when a certain status is active.

Or is there another way i could animate (move to a certain direction) the character when a status effects goes up on him, within ORK ?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  3. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Gladiator
    I guess we already sorted that out in the ORK forums :)

@catacomber
    You're welcome!

@nasos_333
    This could be done with global events that check the player's status effects periodically ...
    E.g. a global event that executes once every minute and checks for a certain status effect. If the effect is applied, move the player and set a flag (so it won't happen again - you'll need to check for the flag before moving the player too). If the effect isn't applied, remove the flag.

Beta13 news
    For those not following the new ORK Community forums and the beta13 thread there:
    Finally, combined status effects are coming - you can set Normal type status effects to use a formula to calculate their final value. But it's recommended only to use other Normal type SV in the calculation, as it wont react to changes to e.g. Consumable ones ...

Also - the 4th battle system type is coming in beta13!
    Phase battles will simply pack all members of a faction participating in battle into their own phase in which they can choose and perform their actions. The order of the phases is either sorted by Name or ID, or calculated by formula (either sum of all members, or the member with the highest result).
    It's basically just like the turn based battles - but every faction will perform their actions in one phase. And the order in which a faction performs their actions is free, so you can choose when which combatant will perform it's action.

4. Catacomber

Catacomber

Another ORK1 question. : ) Where do I post these in the new forum--under ORK1 or Support?

I want the player to get a book item and when they tap on it in their inventory a dialogue should display that says la la la about increasing the player's Charm status effect or anything else I'd like it to say or do---I'll put in some fantasy stuff---and the player's charm status value gets increased or something else happens.

I used a global event and put Call the global event on the item. I know Auto would make it work in every scene and tried it just to see what would happen---interestingly the dialogue shows up. : ) But I don't want to do it this way because the dialogue shows up before I've gotten the book.

Anyway, using Call on the book item -- while the player's Charm is increased, the dialogue never shows up. Have tried in different ways--no meatball.

I also tried making a teleport spell book where the player can teleport and a dialogue shows up --- I was able to teleport but no dialogue. Also using Call on the book item in inventory.

What am I not doing? Somehow I can't get a dialogue to show up in a global event using Call.

I have a walk around for reading books that are in your inventory but this seems to be the ideal way to do it, using the Call event on the item in your inventory.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

@Catacomber
    Could it be a problem with the dialog position? Maybe the dialog is showing up but it's offscreen or something like that.

6. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks for your help but all my dialogue positions show up. They're positions I use in other events.

If I use the Auto setting for the global event the dialogue shows up fine but doesn't really work as it shows up again and again in the scene before I've gotten to the place where I can get the book. Thanks for trying to help me. : ) I love your new avatar and your game--Paper Sorcerer. : ) It would be so wonderful if the dialogue would show up in a global event.

Could you try it and see if it works for you in a test file?

Don't know if it has something to do with the fact that global events don't use actors but it shows up if I use Auto but Auto sadly does not work for me---need to be able to use Call.

I remember this was your suggestion to be able to call an event from an item--a long, long thread back but then I was doing other things and didn't have a chance to try it but didn't forget your suggestion. : ) It should work.

Another ORK1 question. I gave some of my monsters item drops and they do drop the item prefabs but I can't pick them up. What do I have to do to have my player be able to pick up the item drops of the monsters? : )

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  7. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Sure, I don't mind looking at it, just send it to the same email as before.

For the item drops, without looking at it, my guess would be that the item prefab that's dropping either has collision that isn't set to "On trigger" or the interaction distance is too short, something like that.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

I cant find an option to check for status effects in global events

I can find it only in Battle animation

Another question, when i press "Ctrl" to cast a skill and keep pressing it, the skills stack, which means i may see the effects of the 2ond-3rd etc presses after the first cast

Is there a way to not stack the effects, like only sense the press if there is no skill performed at that point and not perform the skill if another has not finished

9. nixter

nixter

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  10. gamingislove

gamingislove

@catacomber
    I've sent you an email with the fix for your dialogue problem.
    Your item drop problem - make sure the item prefabs have a collider (and maybe a rigidbody). Also check if your interaction controller has collider (as a trigger) and a rigidbody :)

@nasos_333
    You're right, there is no 'Check Status Effect' step in game events in ORK 1, my bad :D
    I'll add one in the next version (coming soon).
    I've tested the stacking skills and can't confirm that - I'd need more infos or a small test project where this occurs (please send infos or project to ork@rpg-kit.com).

ORK 1.2.7 on its way
    Some small new features, some bugfixes, coming soon :)

ORK 2 news
    While >beta13< is also on it's way, you can find a small outlook on the upcoming features before the beta ends >here<.
    And, as nixter already pointed out - the >DRM system will end< with the beta.

11. Catacomber

Catacomber

@gamingislove --thanks so much for your email and help. I'll try that tonight and let you know how it works.

@GrumpyOldMan --thanks for your help too! Gil sent me the fix. : ) Let's see what I can do with it now. : )

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK turned 3 today!
    Yay, it's been a long and bumpy ride :D

And to celebrate this - two new versions:

ORK 1.2.7 released
    Some fixes and two small new features: >changelog<
    As always, the update has been sent out to customers and uploaded to the Asset Store.

ORK Framework beta13
    Now this one brings the really cool stuff:
    • new Phase battles - the 4th battle system type!
    • combined status values
    • damage dealer tags - for an easier handling, without having to set up a damage dealer for each item/ability
    • grid placement in the node editors
    • abilities and items can override a battle event's prefabs and audio clips - for easier sharing of events
    • 'float' type game variables can now use the current game time (and an offset) to set and check values
    • much more!
    Full changelog >here<.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the update, will really help :), just got the email

The more i play with ORK the more amazing it becomes, so many options and i can almost do everything i envision

Really amazing work :)

My bad about the "ctrl" question, i checked it and the actions stacked were not coming from the "ctrl" press, but were stacked as i pressed a button i have assigned that runs the "AddSkillAction" everytime i press it with mouse and stacks it

So when i pressed "ctrl" after the mouse presses, it seemed like it repeated the action, when it was actually the AddSkillAction stacking, which makes sense

So, the question now is how do i check if the last action/skill has been finished in code, so i can time the AddSkillAction ?

Also if i update to ORK 1.2.7, will everything be compatible and work right away (besides the files i have temepered with code of course) ? Like all the entries in enemies etc in project manager

It is a bit terrifying when i update anything in the project :)

14. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nasos_333
    There shouldn't be a problem updating to ORK 1.2.7 - but it's always a good idea to make a backup of your project before doing any update (Untiy or ORK) :)
    To check for the last action(s) being finished: Use the function IsInAction (returns bool if the combatant is in action or not), that should do the trick.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, thanks a lot

16. Catacomber

Catacomber

I just updated to ORK1 1.2.7 with no problem from the Asset Store. I get a few empty Resource files--just delete them. They don't interfere with your Resource files and all my Project settings are intact. My show dialogue problems in global events vanished. It was a little bug. Here is my beautiful spell book displaying. I bought the spell book in a shop and tapped the book in my inventory and le voila. Thanks to GrumpyOldMan for letting me think I could actually do this. : )

Press OK and you see the rest of the dialogue and learn the Toxon Spell. Of course you have to set a variable so the player doesn't learn it twice and you have to have a dialogue of "You already learned this spell." for after the player learned it. You can sell the book back after you learn it. As you can imagine, am going to have a lot of fun with this.

Thank you, gamingislove, for continuing to maintain ORK1 and being there for help! Working on my drop problem--wasn't using Interact, required by Drop. : )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  17. Catacomber

Catacomber

Happy third birthday, ORK!!!!!! :d You deserve all our best wishes!

Blow out the three birthday candles, gamingislove. Phooo. Phewww. Fffffff. : ) Happy Birthday to ORK and may all your birthday wishes come true. : )

Thank you for ORK. It's actually a big unbirthday present to me. It's everything I wanted in a game editor. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwbbkyMCHfs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. cynel

cynel

hopefully ORKs beta Will end soon this month.

19. S0ULART

S0ULART

Happy Birthday ORK and all the best !

Amazing! I'm really curious what it's played like. Can't wait to test it out!
    Is there any information about what the gameplay is like? :)

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

Beta13a released
    Earlier today I've released beta13a with some small new features in the battle menu and two bugfixes: >release notes<

New game tutorial
    It's time to get on with the game tutorials: >battle events 2<
    This time we'll continue with animating items and abilities - and using a new feature of beta13 (overriding an event's prefabs and audio clips in items/abilities) this is done pretty easy :)

The next tutorial will cover battle start and end events.
    Also, the game tutorial resources have been updated with some new content, so don't forget to update ... and tutorial >20 Animations for combatants< got a new animation type (cast).

@catacomber
    Oh, you shouldn't have ;)
    Thanks!

@cynel
    Most likely by the End of November.

@S0ULART
    You can find more details in this >post< in the ORK Community forum.
    In short: Similar to turn based battles, but every faction fighting in a battle selects and performs their actions in their own phase - the order in which the members perform the actions is free.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is it something like the system in Last Remnant ?

22. Guideborn

Guideborn

@nasos: Phase Battles are typical like that of Fire Emblem and Shining Force. The Last Remnant maintains the traditional turn-based style while adding a few features of a strategy game.

23. cynel

cynel

all right a new tutorial but im so behind ill Start the Tutorial From the start but it wont take long.

24. Catacomber

Catacomber

I finally got my monster drops working fine in ORK1--don't know if it's different in ORK2 but in ORK1--my Item Collector drops were working ok--it was just the fiendish monster drops that were troubling.

For the Enemy in its settings, you set up the drop. In Game Settings you set up how the drop is handled. I have these settings:

Save position check
    Drop on ground check
    Transparent FX (and I make sure my items are in Resources Items with Transparent FX as their layer mask)
    x 0 0
    y 0.5 0.5
    z 0 0

I don't know exactly what the second column of these is for but these settings work for me. : )

The items have Box Colliders with is trigger checked. No Rigidbodies---Rigidbodies somehow seem to interfere
    The size of the Box Colliders is 3, 3, 3--a little bit big. : )

And my player can now collect them. : ) So it's all good. : )

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  25. gamingislove

gamingislove

Beta14 news
    I've been quite busy with dev-time:
    - phase change events!
    - set per battle system types if counters are allowed and if death animations should be played immediately
    - display battle info texts (e.g. X uses Y) and event dialogues at the position of the combatant/speaker
    - actor text codes for event dialogues
    - the max. click distance settings (for interactions in the scenes) is now a global setting in game settings
    - other stuff!
    You can find a detailed description of the new features in the >ORK Community forum<.

Probably also coming in beta14: multi-currency system :)

I'll do the next game tutorial on battle start/end events tomorrow!

@nasos_333
    Like MorrisGriffinJr said, it's similar to all those tactical/strategy RPGs out there.

@catacomber
    If I remember correctly, the 2nd column is to have a random offset to the enemy's position ...

26. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

I have a dumb question. What's multi-currency system and how does it work?

27. Guideborn

Guideborn

You can have more than one type of currency to spend. So if you have Gold, and want to have something else such as Virtue or Gems, you would use multi-currency. At least, that's what it sounds like. lol

28. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks for letting me know. What I like a lot about the monster drops is that you can kill the monsters and leave the scene and go back and the monster drops are still there. : ) I think I had to check a box about remembering their position.

: )

I'm using Frogames Wizards pack from the Asset Store for my potions and for some wizard monsters/npcs as his icons for the potions are the only really good ones I've found there, imho. My testers complained about the icons I was using for potions until switched to his. And his prefabs for the potions work well.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  29. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Shadow_Fire
    You'll be able to set up multiple currencies and aren't limited to have just one kind of money/payment in the game. There are start exchange rates, which can be changed in the game by using the event system.
    Shops will be able to only accept certain currencies and have their own exchange rates :)

E.g. if you have different countries in your game, every country could have it's own currency - enemies in a country's region could only drop the countries currency, the exchange rate between the countries can depend on the progress in the story, etc.

It's a cool feature, but completely optional - if you don't need multiple currencies, simply don't set up more than one :D

30. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Thanks MorrisGriffinJr and thanks GiL for the clear lengthy explanation. That seems like a cool feature to have. Good job on it.

On another note, I'm thinking of buying a third person camera from the asset store. I'm just wondering, how hard is it to implement it to make it work with Ork and it's event? I vaguely remember you already telling someone about it, I just forgot where I read it at.

31. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Shadow_Fire
    In ORK 2 that's no problem, you simply have to set up the name of the control script in the game control settings - this way ORK will know what to enable/disable when blocking controls.
    In ORK 1 you'll have to adjust a little bit of code to consider ORK's control mode (see >here< for some details).

32. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Oh, for ORK 2, it sounds easy. Thanks for the quick reply.

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi -

Under the "Game" tab, I set the default Screen Size to X:1280, y:800, and the "GUI Scale Mode" to "No Scale".
    On the Gui Box, I set the Content Box Settings to X:512, Y:272, W:256, H:256
    I set the Anchor to "Middle Center".

My expectation: This would create a box that was centered in the middle of the screen, that did not stretch. Resizing the window would position the box in the new center.

Reality: The box is drawn correctly (does not stretch). However, it is also not anchored to the center of the screen. The box always displays at the original position.

Obviously I am mistaken in my expectation - How do I go about setting this that things do not stretch when drawn, but anchor to the center? (or bottom, or corner,etc.)?

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

The anchor defines what part/corner of the box will be placed at the coordinates (X, Y).
    In your case, Middle Center will place the center of the box at X=512, Y=272 - if you wanted to place the box in the middle of the screen, you'd have to place it at X=640, Y=400 (half of the screen size).

35. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework beta14 released
    Look at the features ... just wow :D >release notes<

Most notably:
    • Multi-currency system
    • Phase change events
    • Display battle texts and dialogues at the position of a combatant/speaker
    • Actor text codes for dialogues (finally!)
    • Some editor sugar
    • So much more!

And since it's such a nice day ...

New tutorials!
    First,a small how-to on >camera positions<.
    And the next game tutorial on >battle start events<.

The next game tutorial will cover the battle end events :)

Phew ....

Edit: Wow, 3000 posts :D

36. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

What a humongous thread now, phew!
    I see you have been working hard lately, judging by the content of beta14. Pat yourself on the back.
    And thanks for the camera position how-to. Very useful.

37. cynel

cynel

anyways 4.3 is out so the next beta will have to be updated to this even though the GUI wont be in the 4.3 update.

38. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Awesome. :D

Combined Value bug is fixed as well. Thanks for the editor features!

Is there an ETA for the seamless/everywhere battle zone for RTB?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  39. keyboardcowboy

keyboardcowboy

What, exactly, are real-time battles? Are these used for action RPGs? Could it be used in a typical MMO style combat (auto-attack with the user firing off abilities and able to move around)?

I'm either going phased style combat like Wizardry 8 or the MMO style like Everquest 1 (Before you groan, I actually enjoyed EQ's combat mechanics). For the EQ style, I was wondering if the RTB could pull it off.

40. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

A good, classic example of Real-time battles would be something akin to Zelda Link to the Past. So yeah, basically Action-RPGs.

In my case, I'm using ORK's RTB for my 2D Metroidvania. (Think Castlevania Symphony of the Night; very action-oriented platformers with a good amount of RPG elements.) I think it could be used for MMO style combat, although generally MMO combat doesn't really make use of non-targeted hitboxes and dynamic combat abilities. But you can merge the different battle system types, so I think something similar to an EQ battle should be possible; although I personally wouldn't know where to begin. :p

41. gamingislove

gamingislove

New game tutorial
    The new game tutorial teaches you how to end your battle using >battle end events<.

The next will cover animating special commands, like defend, escape ... and death.

@cynel
    Yeah, sadly 4.3 doesn't include the new GUI - but they already said that at the last Unite :)

@Kirbychwan
    The always RTB option will most likely come in beta16.

@keyboardcowboy
    ORK's real time battles are pretty flexible - you can use it in different ways.
    You can create an action adventure/RPG, hack'n'slash, menu driven real time battles ...

There's simply no turns or timebar to fill, all actions can be performed right here and now - how you perform the actions is up to you, either through a battle menu, hammering on keys (control maps) or using the new shortcut feature (since beta10?). Also you can use the group target feature to select a target and auto attack on that one, while selecting your abilities through the menu, or shortcuts ... or keys :D

Also doing damage can be done in two ways - either using the classic Calculate steps, or for a more action oriented approach, use Damage Dealers/Zones to only do damage when your sword really hit the enemy. But those two options are available for all battle system types :)

42. cynel

cynel

so beta 15 will be updated to work on 4.3 right.

43. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Cool, looking forward to it.

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework beta14a released
    Since Unity 4.3 came out this is just a small update and fix version :)

>Release Notes<

New stuff:
    • Animator.Play support for Mecanim
    • Equipment Viewer can use game variable conditions
    • End Immediately option in all battle system types will end the battle even while actions are performing.

Warning
    This update requires Unity 4.3, anything earlier (e.g. 4.2) wont work with beta14a!

The new 2D functionality of Unity 4.3 will be supported in a later update (probably after beta 15/16).

45. cynel

cynel

Thanks for the update.

46. Catacomber

Catacomber

Things seem to work fine for me in ORK1 after updating to Unity 4.3. I'm not using 2d. Just happy things work. : )

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is some very cool tips.

Did not know you can call a menu screen by selecting an item in the inventory

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have a huge menu envy with this one :)

Could something like this be replicated in ORK 1 ?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  49. Catacomber

Catacomber

This is an ORK1 question.

I want to have one of five steps trigger randomly. For example, teleport to one different location out of five randomly in an event. Do I do this via only Random Step in Events? Or a combination of this and Check Random Step? How does Check Random Step work and when would you use it? : ) Not sure. Thanks for any help.

@nasos_333--thanks. Well, you can do a lot via a global event attached to an item in inventory. I haven't tried calling a menu screen that way but a dialogue. : ) GrumpyOldMan actually suggested I could do this and gamingislove fixed the bug that was inhibiting it and I posted that tip so other people could try it and I think it is a very useful thing. : )

As far as your question about Kirby's gorgeous character info screen, I think a lot of that could be done in ORK1. Why don't you try it? And then ask for help. : ) You can do the spacing of things via X value px.

For instance this is my character info for status effects:

#py160##svn1# #px540##sv1# / #sv0#
    #svn3# #px540##sv3# / #sv2#
    #svn9# #px540##sv9# / #svl9#

#svn4# #px540##sv4#
    #svn5# #px540##sv5#
    #svn6# #px540##sv6#
    #svn7# #px540##sv7#
    #svn8# #px540##sv8#

That #px540# puts a certain number of pixels between the name of a Status Effect like Strength and its value so that things are spaced out nicely on the screen.

You'd do the background via the BG image. And then work on the dialogue positions for the side menu and other things.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for all the tips, very usefull

I was just asking if it is possible before i start, so i can start doing it or use EZGUI as alternative

It it is not possible to get similar results, i would just start doing it the hard way with EZGUI (hard, as i would have to read all variables that ORK already integrades properly)