Search Unity

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.4.4 released

This update brings new text codes for X/Y positioning of text, status development and ability trees can override name/description of upgrade content, items and equipment can optionally override auto stacking and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes for details.

Introducing a new product: Makinom

Makinom is a game development tool for Unity , based on ORK’s event system on steroids.
    You can use Makinom to create any kind of game genre, like FPS, adventures, jump’n’runs, beat’em’ups, arcade shooters and many more.

You’ll create your game mechanics with Schematics – node based, flow chart like blueprints for what you want to do. And you’ll bring your game to life with Machines – components that play your schematics.

You can find more information about Makinom in general here.

@drewradley
    Sorry, I don't seem to get email notifications of new posts here :)
    If you've got urgent questions, email me or post them in the Support & Community forum.
    Starting an attack/ability through input is done using Control Maps, which bind battle actions or shortcuts to input keys. Regarding the damage dealers - basically, yes, you can attach them to everything you need - but they need to be activated to allow damaging a damage zone. Activating damage dealers is done in the battle events animating your actions (using the Activate Damage Dealer step). If the damage dealer is attached to the combatant's game object, you can also use auto activation through tags.

@Ebolinux
    1) Currently not as a built-in system, but can be done by doing the move commands as abilities.
    2) Yes, you can have multiple player groups (parties) and switch between them. Every combatant (player, enemies, etc.) is part of a group/party. Also, there's a faction system to determine who's ally or enemy :)

2. nixter

nixter

Makinom looks like a great way to bring the power of ORK to other non-RPG developers. Instabuy for me based on GiL's history of excellent support.

I'm particularly interested in the Network features and how they might facility easier multiplayer development. Can't wait to take it for a test drive.

3. drewradley

drewradley

No problem. I figured most of it out myself. The only problem I still have is the camera unparents from my camera system during realtime combat. I wrote a workaround that saves its position and rotation as long as it is a child and when it is no longer a child, to reset to those positions and reparents itself.

4. Duffer123

Duffer123

@ gamingislove,

- Can the ORK framework accomodate multiple player characters in the same game?

- How does the background database work?

- With statistics, can you have multiple types and subtypes?

- With equipment and items, can you have multiple types and subtypes?

- Does ORK help facilitate 3D donning of armour, helms, shields, weapons, clothing? With mount points?

- Could I use ORK in conjunction with SimpleSQL and Sqlite databases?

- Is there any potential cross-over or compatibility between ORK and Playmaker?

- With inventories, character screens, HUDs etc, how easy is it for me to create my own style, skins, UI? Will I need to script this myself?

Many thanks in advance,

Niall.

5. gamingislove

gamingislove

@drewradley
    Could be caused by your battle start events (or battle events), or the game object the camera is mounted on being destroyed.

@Duffer123
    Multiple player/playable characters - yes, there's a group/party system included in ORK. You can have as many group members as you want, the battle group (i.e. members participating in battle) is handled by a setting in Game > Game Settings. An example of adding a 2nd group member can be found in this game tutorial.
    However, multiplayer isn't part of ORK, but can be added by yourself in the gameplay source code included in the full version.

The game data is stored in XML formatted strings (in a Unity asset) and can optionally be encrypted. Same goes for save games.

Statistics don't have types - there are some built-in statistics (e.g. killed enemies total, killed enemies by enemy combatant, ...) and you can use custom statistics (defined by an index).

Currently not - equipment and items only have a single item type and there is no sub-typing (yet). However, equipment can be equipable on multiple equipment parts.

There's the Equipment Viewer component to place your equipment's prefab on a combatant (or change the material of a renderer). It uses child linking to e.g. link sleeves of an armor to the arms of the combatant, but there's no adjusting to the actual model's mesh.

Sure, you can e.g. change the save game handling to store the data (XML formatted string) into a database instead of a file.

Yes, has already been done, e.g. using playmaker for communicating with other 3rd party software or adding multiplayer. There are also some custom actions available made by other users.

When using the old (legacy) GUI system, you'll just use GUISkins for your own style. When using the new UI, you set up prefabs (e.g. panel, button) with your look and feel.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Will Makinom be compatible with ORK as an enchancement to its action system, or will ORK use some of the features like Pooling ?

Thanks

7. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I'll check that.

edit: Yeah, the default battle events all have some camera control on them. Disabled them all and it seems fine.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  8. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislive,
    thanks for such a comprehensive reply.
    Subtypes would really sell it for me (although I've already bought it!)

9. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nasos_333
    There'll be a plugin for ORK and Makinom to connect them. Mostly allowing ORK to start Makinom machines/schematics and Makinom to start ORK events, but also stuff like cross saving (i.e. saving ORK save game data alongside Makinom save games and the other way round).

@Duffer123
    Subtypes are an interesting idea - will look into an optional parent type selection for the various types to allow that.

Duffer123 and nasos_333 like this.
  10. Duffer123

Duffer123

@ gamingislove,
    That would be great... For items and equipment...

11. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Assuming this would be for making something like a class for armor and then sub types of cloth, leather, chain, plate? If so, that would be AWESOME!

12. Duffer123

Duffer123

Absolutely, consider also weapon subtypes, container subtypes - really opens it up! Perhaps also subsubtypes ie. treeview structure?

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nice, will be very interesting

Duffer123 likes this.
  14. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I haven't got in deep enough to realize that wasn't already possible.. DEFINITELY would love to see it added! Will be a need for me. :/

Duffer123 likes this.
  15. Duffer123

Duffer123

I haven't got too far in to it, even though I purchased, because of this (very) minor shortfall. There are ways around it, and I can script to an extent anyway, but I think it would make a massive difference... (noting you can already add any number of additional fields to an item or equipment...)

16. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

Could you outline the development path for this great asset? What are you planning to introduce with the next release version?

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom in Asset Store

Makinom is now available in the Unity Asset Store for $35 - that's 30% off, early access price :)

@Duffer123
    There isn't really a path - it's more like a long to-do list where I cherry pick some stuff for each release. Also highly depends on what's needed by the users, i.e. feature requests and user input is very welcome and always finds its way into new releases :)
    Like your subtype suggestion - as soon as I figured out how to best handle that in menu screens it'll be in one of the next updates!

18. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

Great - thanks - I know what you mean with a 'long to-do list'... ;)

This Makinom. I have of course purchased ORK. I love creating RPGs. Aspiring to create a 3D one. What would Makinom bring to the party on top of ORK?

19. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Duffer123
    If you've worked with ORK's event system - Makinom is pretty much the event system on steroids :D
    Makinom would allow you to e.g. create your player and camera controls or other game mechanics that you can't create with ORK (since it's not intended for that use). Once the ORK-Makinom plugin is ready (probably end of next week), you'll be able to use them together :)
    You can check out the free test version and try one of the demo projects (or do a game tutorial series).

20. Duffer123

Duffer123

Will do - thanks

21. Duffer123

Duffer123

@ gamingislove,

Is it intended to include the subtypes for weapons, items, equipment in the next release or a later release (I am working on that part of my game at the mo so had to ask - sorry)?

22. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.5 is coming!

The big sub typing! Make any type a sub type of another type (of the same kind).
    See here for details, release sometime next week.

@Duffer123
    There you go :)

23. Duffer123

Duffer123

Excellentay!

24. Duffer123

Duffer123

So the full-on treeview with even subtypes of subtypes - brilliant!

25. Duffer123

Duffer123

26. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yeah, all kinds of sub types of sub types of sub types, however deep you like :)
    Do you mean adding sub types to the game tutorials?

27. Duffer123

Duffer123

Yep - include subtypes in game tutorials...

28. Duffer123

Duffer123

Do you have anything like creating a new item from an existing item in runtime or editor and using existing item as a template/blueprint - ie. the new item has stats all its own.

29. drewradley

drewradley

I just followed your navigation hud tutorial and, well, "W" will not show up. All the other letters work, but "W" just doesn't show up. I even tried "West" and it was still blank. Put a different letter in there and it shows up in the HUD. Just not "W". I switched to images and that works fine.

30. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

Been pondering again the Assets I use in my notional dream RPG project again. Can you answer some more questions for me to help mold my thinking? - basically I'm trying to figure where to best put my time.

- I already have Playmaker and the ORK events system. In an RPG, what would Makinom bring to the party?

- I'm still struggling to get my head around items and equipment. (with apologies for number of queries, ideas)

In particular:-

- could I create say a template great sword as a template but then say a iron great sword from that inheriting it's properties and then say 3 further iron great swords independent of each other in the game world?
    - can you have unlimited properties / sub variables per item or ability or class?

- What about Races (say Elf) and subraces (say Dark Elf). . How do I handle those? In some sort of Class distinguished from 'Class' in the sense of Profession?

- Can Characters or Mobs have multiple classes?

- In terms of formulae, as well as say with damage min and max, can the system accommodate the dice roll text to value ie. 2D4+7 etc. . What about say a Shortsword +1 being the diceroll + 10%?

- Does ORK auto generate UI windows for inventories, character screens etc?

- can ORK generate tabbed menus, different menu styles?

- Say I have plenty of my own animations for various actions, can ORK accommodate this?

- What about mini maps and travel/fast travel maps in general and also pathfinders over larger areas?

- Big question, what about opening screens and in particular character selection, choosing race, class, gender etc? Can ORK do that with UMA-like adjustable 3d bodies, hair etc - or can it help with that?

- Can I implement TextMeshPro fonts in UI with ORK.

- What about weapons or armour made from various materials (in sense of iron, steel, wood etc) carrying different properties because of those materials ie more damage or armour points?
    - what about character resistances to various elements? Or languages? Done through Attributes?

- time of day, month, season, year, different for rpg world eg 12th day of Eastenost, Wolfmoon, Early Autumn, 1024 AC. etc

- Currency - can system accommodate a system of say bronze, silver and gold pieces?

- How does ORK handle period or time say a spell or effect works on an item or character?

— can ORK accommodate spellbooks , scrolls, prayer books, journals and/or glossaries? Placing of runes on items to change properties?

- dyes to colour items, weapons, armour?

- item slots for upgrades, crystals?

— lock picking system?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  31. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.5.0 released

This update brings new sub type functionality (e.g. make an item type a sub type of another item type), random Vector3 values, lots of new event system steps and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for details.

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and will be available in the Asset Store shortly.

@drewradley
    Strange - maybe there is an issue with the 'W' in your font, or it's to big for the bounds you've defined ...

@Duffer123
    It'd be better if you'd join the ORK community to ask questions - this thread isn't really checked that often, and there are other people that can help you in the ORK community if I'm not around :)

Depends on what you want to do - in general, ORK is enough to create an RPG - but if you want some special gameplay mechanics that aren't in there, you'd either have to script them yourself or use Makinom (or Playmaker or another similar solution).
    Makinom would probably be the best choice - not because I'm the developer of it, but because it offers a similar workflow as ORK and the upcoming ORK-Makinom connection plugin brings a great integration of both products to make life easier.

Not directly, each equipment created in ORK stays for itself - however, you can just copy your basic greadsword and change the settings you want to change (e.g. giving more damage bonus).

Items/equipment don't have properties or variables on their own (yet - I'm already thinking about adding item scope variables), they're using the status system you've set up (e.g. item healing 50 HP, weapon giving STR+15, armor auto removing a poison effect, etc.).

Depends on what the actual gameplay use of the races are. Usually, this would be handled by class (e.g. when they'd have different bonuses and attributes, can equip different equipment, etc.) - i.e. you'd have a class Elf, a class Dark Elf, etc.
    If you add professions to the mix, you'd e.g. need to create the classes elf warrior, elf mage, dark elf warrior, etc.

No, multiple classes are not supported, at least not at the same time. You can switch between classes (e.g. through items, abilities or the event system).

If shortsword+1 is a status value or attack/defence attribute, you can use that in the formula to change the outcome. For the dice roll text, it would depend on where this is coming from - e.g. if it's stored into a string game variable, you'd need to check for all possible texts and change the formula value accordingly (e.g. using a Game Variable Fork step).

Yes, the dialogues, HUDs and menus are automatically generated based on your settings (GUI box, menu screens, etc.).
    If you want to use your own menu/HUD systems, you can do this, but need to script the connection to ORK's data yourself.

Yes, menu screens with type selections (e.g. the inventory screen) can optionally display the types as tabs.
    Different menu styles can be done by using different GUI skins (legacy GUI) or UI prefabs (new UI). Also, the GUI boxes themself have various options for achieving different styles - also stuff like circle menus.

Since ORK only plays the animations (legacy animations, mecanim or custom animation systems), yes :)

There is no built-in mini map, but you can use ORK with other mini map solutions. There is the navigation bar HUD (e.g. like in skyrim).
    When using the navigation HUD, you can e.g. set navigation markers - if you've scanned your project's scenes in the ORK editor (World > Scene Connections), you'll be able to find the way accross multiple scenes (if they're connected through scene changers and spawn points).

You can do stuff like that with the event system - UMA isn't supported by default, but you should be able to add it easily, e.g. saving the choices with the custom save data support.

With the full version's code access, yes.

This would be handled by status values (or attack/defence attributes).

Yes, attack/defence attributes. E.g. fire element would be an attack attribute - you'd assign it to an ability's damage (e.g. fireball), when damaging a combatant, it'd use the target's attribute value to calculate the final damage. Attributes are percent based, i.e. fire attribute with a value of 150 would do 150 % damage.

Classic job for the event system - see this little gameplay tutorial example.

There's a currency system implemented in ORK - you can define as many currencies as you like, and the exchange rates between them (can also be changed in a running game to generate a living economy).

Status effects have different options for that, either they're on the combatant until they're removed (e.g. by another ability), or they automatically end after a defined amount of time or turns (with a defined chance, e.g. remove after 5 turns with a 50 % chance).
    There's also ability casting and reuse times.

Items can teach new abilities and start global events, which can be used to e.g. display dialogues (like the content of a scroll or book). There's also the log text system which can be used to create various kinds of compendiums, game world information, etc. - using the event system to learn new log texts allows them to grow as the player progresses.
    Placing runes on stuff could be done through the crafting system.

Nope, unless you create the equipment for each different color and use the appropriate prefab for them.

Not quite sure what you mean - but there's the shortcut slot system to create a shortcut bar (HUD) to quickly use items, abilities or equip weapons/armors. Can be used with the control maps to quickly use them on a button press.

Once again, a job for the event system :)

32. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

Thanks once again for a comprehensive response. Point taken re ORK community.

33. drewradley

drewradley

I'll check that out.

I edited the latest version and when I use my own DLL it says it's version 2.4.4. Will that be a problem?

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK-Makinom Connection Plugin released

You're using ORK Framework or Makinom? Why not both!

Connect Makinom and ORK with this free plugin - allows cross saving, forwarding control blocks and adds new Makinom schematic nodes and ORK event steps (e.g. for variable transfers or starting Makinom machines in ORK).

You can find more information and infos on the setup (and functionalities) here.

@drewradley
    Actually, yeah - could be that I haven't updated the source in the latest release sent out via email. Send me an email with your order number and I'll send you the updated source code :)

35. drewradley

drewradley

That might explain the strange problems I've been having such as anything with a "start type" getting an error!

Email sent, but my order number is from 2011. I hope that's not a problem!

36. Duffer123

Duffer123

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  37. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.5.1 released

This update brings new UI Components, quest tasks and menu screens can call game events, battle event steps available in game events and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See all details in the release notes.

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

38. Duffer123

Duffer123

Excellent!

39. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.5.2 released

This update brings new target orientation requirements, optionally learn equipment abilities, new durability notifications, start game events on level up and other new features, changes and fixes.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

Save Game Compression Plugin

A new plugin to compress save game data is available. In case your save games are getting big :)
    See the plugin page for details.

40. Duffer123

Duffer123

@ gamingislove,

Excellent - almost losing track of all the upgrades to this asset recently (not a complaint!).

For me really, the only possible things I could think of for development would be:-

- Carriers, bags, packs, rucksacks - as inventories - more directly/intuitively - so containers then - this allows for bags or boxes within other containers and so forth;
    - items carrying also additional lists or at least variables and flags (user defines) which makinom etc can action from;
    - Multi / combination classes;
    - Races/SubRaces eg. Elf, Human etc , then Dark Elf, Fair Elft etc- operating much like Classes - with playable Races/SubRaces and some which are purely NPC;
    - Alignments - ie. chaotic, neutral, lawful / good, neutral, evil, whatever - plugging in more with LoveHate perhaps;
    - Pantheons/Gods - tied to choice of class, race etc;
    - Support for Datablocks;
    - Support for SimpleSQL / SQLite?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  41. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Awesome list! The only thing I would add to that, if we could ever get @gamingislove to change his mind and add it, would be a multiplayer support addon/library... :p *hides*

42. Duffer123

Duffer123

Yep - I've amended slightly - hope it makes sense.

43. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

Any chance of implementation of any of my above suggestions? ;)

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

We'll see about that :)

45. Duffer123

Duffer123

I will refrain from getting too carried away in anticipation ;) Seriously though, implementation of those suggestions, starting with the first three, then the next two, then the last two (in terms of priority) would be a major up-step...

46. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

I've posted a fairly comprehensive (!!) list of desired enhancements to ORK on the ORK website forum.... I'd be interested to see then what you now see as your next priorities/ideas in taking ORK forwards and what of my wishes is tenable/achievable and what not, what is next for development path etc....

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.5.3 is here!

This update brings a massive amount of new features, e.g. Normal type status value rewards in quests and battle gains, optionally use curves to move/scale GUI boxes, use loot tables for item collector boxes and lots of new battle AI and event steps.

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and is already available in the Asset Store.

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.5.4 is here!

This update brings new item reuse blocks, status requirement options, event steps and other new features, changes and fixes.

49. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.5.5 is here!

This is a quick update with an important fix (forgot to take out a debug console output in formulas that can slow down your game, depending on your setup - sorry, my bad) and some small new features squeezed in.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Asset Store.

50. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

There is like... no exit button for any of the menus int the demo lol!

Would a top down 2d game be achievable with this?

IE: Zelda on the SNES?