Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. drewradley

drewradley

I need to have a script check whether or not a certain weapon is in the inventory and can't figure out how to check that. I'll keep plugging away at it, but so far, I've not stumbled onto it. Thanks!

2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I'm assuming this has to do with NPCs? One of the reasons I haven't picked up ORK is the lack of any type of co-op multiplayer functionality. Is this in there somewhere and I just missed it?

3. gamingislove

gamingislove

New tutorials

There are several new tutorials available:
    I'll be pumping out more tutorials in the next days :)

@drewradley
    In contrary to ORK 1, in ORK Framework there isn't a single game state at a time. Most of the states can be checked in ORK.Game.Control as you've already found out, alternatively, you can also use the GameState class to check combinations of them.

To check if a weapon is in the inventory via script, you first need to get the combatant that is the owner of the inventory. If you only need the player, you can get the player's combatant through ORK.Game.ActiveGroup.Leader, otherwise you can also get combatants through their game objects, see this how-to for details.
    Once you have the combatant, you can check for the weapon in the inventory using this code:

combatant.Inventory.HasWeapon(int index, int lvl, int n)

Where index is the id/index of the weapon, lvl the weapon's level (e.g. 1) and n is the quantity that needs to be in the inventory.

@Shawn67
    Every combatant in ORK is part of a group - groups are nothing else than parties :)
    ORK Framework doesn't support multiplayer out of the box, however you can add it by implementing it yoursefl. The full version contains all needed gameplay code for you to implement it.

4. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I still sort of wish I could have instant access to the ORK code, but overall, I'm enjoying the framework.

5. gamingislove

gamingislove

6. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Wow! Just started looking at this again and noticed it go on sale again this morning.. Copy purchased and added to my toolbox. I might pick your brain a little down the road GamingIsLove about ideas of creating a networking plug-in. I noticed there is a plug-ins option in the main game tab, so hoping I can eventually build one to make available. That wont come until phase 2 of my project though.

Looking forward to digging in more! And AWESOME new tutorials. I was wondering about an action bar when looking through your tutorials this morning. Glad to see you added one for it! Keep up the awesome work!

7. drewradley

drewradley

Well, right now, the only thing I'd like to change would to use Application.LoadLevelAsync to load the levels so I can use a loading bar. Perhaps that's already an option and I just don't see it. I've never tried to edit DLLs before so I'll probably just deal with the load screens as they are. I can always create my own scene changer pretty easily later I guess (or what are the chances that the old scene changer script will work? Probably would need to be edited, but would be better than starting from zero)

8. eridani

eridani

@gamingislove I was testing out the demo and I immediately ran into a showstopping bug (not a good sign when I hit a big bug so early in a preliminary test....)

What happened was, I was on a steep hill when I got attacked by some enemies in a turn-based battle.

I was on the higher side of the hill, and 3 enemies were on the lower side of the hill. The first thing I did was attack the first enemy. The little player character went charging down the hill and hit the enemy with his sword for 55 points of damage or whatnot.

Then the little player character turned and try to go back up the hill where he first started. But he couldn't make it all way back to his original spot -- he made it about halfway there. And then everything just kind of stopped there, with the battle music still playing.

No keystrokes or mouse clicks did anything any more at that point. So I was forced to exit the page.

I was able to replicate this bug again, this time with the player at the bottom side of a steep hill. This time he didn't even make it halfway up the hill to make his first attack. Everything sort of stuck there with the player halfway to his destination.

This all happened in the demo on your website, so I would expect it is the latest and greatest version of ORK.

9. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Shawn67
    Drop by the ORK Community forum if you have questions, there are a lot of helpful people there (including me :D).

@drewradley
    You can change that in ORK's code, but need to recompile it - see this how-to on the basics.

@eridani
    Sorry about that, it's not really a bug, more a bad setup/level design :)
    There are means to prevent this, e.g. the Secure Move options in the Event System's movement steps, or preventing enemies from spawning/moving into those areas with some of the built-in components. The demo is only the current state of the game tutorials, if you want the best/greatest that ORK can do, you should drop by the showcase in the forum :)

10. eridani

eridani

Ok, glad to hear that. Will you have a new demo anytime soon showing the 4.6 UI?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  11. drewradley

drewradley

I know, it's just a lot of my coding is mostly guess work with a lot of editing and this sounds like something I would totally mess up!

12. jshrek

jshrek

Hi

New to Unity and going thru their tutorials right now. ORK looks interesting and I have a couple questions:

#1 - How does it work with mobile devices (iOS, Android, BB)? Specifically I mean how do controls work. With desktop you have lots of keys to press and a mouse, but how do these controls translate to mobile?

#2 - And how does it run on mobile devices? Are framerates good, or do you get choppy/slow playback?

#3 - Is it 64-bit compatible with new Apple iOS requirements?

#4 - Does ORK create/generate all the scenes and terrain as well, or is there other plugins required to do that?

Thanks

13. nixter

nixter

#1 - 3 Can't answer these directly because I don't bother with mobile yet, but my understanding is lots of people already use it for mobile without any hitches. ORK may be complex, but it doesn't do anything non-standard as far as Unity is concerned so if Unity supports it, ORK supports it.

#4 - ORK doesn't generate scenes or terrain. You can use standard Unity terrain or any other Assets you wish. It is not an asset pack of art. It's a code framework for an RPG with a few test assets, none of which you would want in your final game. You need to provide your own models, particle effects and scenes.

And it is a great framework if your goal is to make a singleplayer RPG.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  14. gamingislove

gamingislove

New tutorials and social media channels

In case you missed it, there's now a new Facebook page and a YouTube Channel available.
    And there are new tutorials:
    - navigation bar
    - equipment durability

@eridani
    You can download the complete demo project here and add the new UI following this how-to. For the time being, the demo will remain using the legacy UI, switching to the new UI isn't much work though.

@jshrek
    1) ORK officially supports iOS and Android, I know of some projects also running on BB and windows phone (even some WiiU projects on the way). The controls can either use any custom controls you like (see this how-to for details), or you can use Control HUDs to add virtual controls for the Input Keys you defined in ORK - this includes joysticks :)

2) ORK wont bring down your framerate, unless you have really a lot going on (e.g. battles with hundreds or thousands of enemies) - usually it's mostly the graphics that matter for the framerate on mobile devices.

3) It will be 64-bit compatible once Unity solves all their issues. I haven't tested the latest patch, but the official 4.6.2 version didn't work even with an empty test project (without ORK).

4) No, ORK doesn't generate scenes or terrain - you'll need other tools (built-in in Unity or 3rd party products) to do that. However, ORK includes a wide variety of components and the Scene Wizard to help you bring ORK's content into your scenes as well as building your game workd (e.g. connecting scenes using Scene Changers and Spawn Points, placing items with Item Collectors, battles, etc.).

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  15. jshrek

jshrek

Thanks for replies!! :)

16. drewradley

drewradley

I'm trying to add one of a certain item on a timer but only if they have fewer than an amount which will change. What's the best way to do that?

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

@drewradley
    Create a game event that checks the mount (using the Has In Inventory step to check the amount) and adds a new item if needed (Add To Inventory step). Now, create a Global Event in World > Global Events, set the Event Type to Auto and you can define a timeout between calling that event (e.g. running the event every minute would require a timeout of 60 seconds). Alternatively, you can also add your own time system using events - see this gameplay tutorial for an example.

18. drewradley

drewradley

I tried that and it didn't work but it turns out I didn't set an actor so I set that and it started working. I thought I did set it, but I must not have saved the event after doing that. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  19. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Hadn't even opened up my fresh $100 install of Ork yet when suddenly it goes on sale. Whoops!

20. ncho

ncho

Edit: Nevermind, fixed the issue - forgot that the demo only works from the main menu scene.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is the current version compatible with Unity 5 ?

Thanks

EDIT: I tested it and it seems that it partially works. I cannot move the hero or cast actions though and produces some errors. Enemies still go after the hero for example, this seems to work.

This is the main error i get

InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in ORKFramework.GameControlsSettings:AddPlayerComponents (ORKFramework.Combatant): IL_0000: nop

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  22. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.3.1 released

This update brings new random float values, remember spawned combatants, freely position choices in a GUI box, automatically display status value and attribute bonuses with new text options and other features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes fot details.

Please note that this will be the last version to support Unity 4.6 - the upcoming ORK Famework 2.4.0 will require Unity 5.

The update has already been sent out to customers and will be available in the Asset Store shortly.

@nasos_333
    No, it's not yet Unity 5 compatible due to some code changes in Unity that couldn't yet be included (would break Unity 4.6 compatibility).
    ORK Framework 2.4.0 will be ready in the next days and require/support Unity 5 :)

@ncho
    You can use game starters for quick game testing if you don't want to go through the main menu scene.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, i am in transition right now, so there is a huge number of things to do anyway in the next days.

I guess Unity 5 could become the main edition, seeing how easy it was to start porting my game. And the fact that now it is free coolness for all.

24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Is there anything special we have to do on the site to be recognized as a customer? Seems like the only download I have access to is the limited free asset you have to let folks test with. Is it something where there is a page somewhere that I can put in my invoice number from asset store and I get access to the paid version while waiting for asset store to update?

25. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nasos_333
    Yeah, having all the features of Unity available in the free version is a massive improvement :)

@Shawn67
    No, you can only download the free test version - updates are sent out via email only. If you want an update before it's in the Asset Store (where it usually is available within a few hours, e.g. today it's only been like 10 minutes), you'll need to send me your invoice number to contact@orkframework.com.
    You should already be able to download it from the asset store, if you don't see it, make sure you have at least Unity 4.6.1 installed (don't know if it'll be displayed in Unity 5).

26. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yeah.. Sometimes it seems the asset store folks drag their feet and it takes longer after it has been submitted. I'd rather not wait when you push out 2.4.0.. heheh Email sent. :)

And thanks!

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.4.0 is here!

This update brings compatibility to Unity 5 - and requires it :)
    Contact me if you need older versions for Untiy 4.6. See the full release notes here.

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and will be available in the Asset Store shortly (if you're using Unity 5).

28. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

care to share the update log? New features?

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

The only new features is Unity 5 compatibility (as stated in the release notes link in my post) - the last feature update was in ORK 2.3.1 this Wednesday :)

And remember: always make a backup of your whole Unity project before updating to a new Unity version!
    You can't go back...

30. Abelabumba

Abelabumba

Is it possible to use this as a combat, skills, equipment plugin without having to use the stuff under "game world creation" features?

OnePxl likes this.
  31. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yes, that's possible. What are you planning?
    E.g. using abilites and equipment without combatants and battles in the scene would probably be pointless :)

32. Abelabumba

Abelabumba

BTW I can't register on your forum, always get a "You are not allowed to register at this time." message. I've already bought the asset and try registering using the same email if that's important.

33. OnePxl

OnePxl

I want a different overworld experience, not a 3D world with a free moving character, but a 2D overhead map with chess-like movement.

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Abelabumba
    When did you try registering? There's been a massive increase in spam accounts in the last weeks, so I had to use more restrictive settings for my anti-spam plugin. Things died down a little bit for now, so I changed it back a few hours ago.
    If you still have problems registering, please send me an email to contact@orkframework.com.

@OnePxl
    Should be possible - you'll mostly use the event system here. Don't spawn the player (using Spawn ID -1 in scene changers and load scene event steps) and set the default Max Click Distance to -1 (Game > Game Settings) to disable distance checks for starting events by clicking.

I think there's at least one project like this already in development, I remember answering the same questions a few months ago :)

35. OnePxl

OnePxl

That was me… :D

36. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.4.1 released

Only a small update this time - spawn offsets for items/equipment/currencies, automatically use the nearest Battle component for random battle areas and combatant spawners, and other small features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes for details.

The upate has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Asset Store. If you're not using Untiy 5, the latest version you'll be getting is ORK 2.3.1.

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.4.2 released

This update brings new attack/defence attribute immunity notifications, earn non-level up experience on level up (e.g. for ability points), new battle event steps to support summon game mechanics, use move detection for auto starting battles and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes for details.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Asset Store. If you're not using Untiy 5, the latest version you'll be getting is ORK 2.3.1.

38. drewradley

drewradley

I tried setting up reference by following your tutorial(http://orkframework.com/howto/2014/01/15/setting-up-project-references/) but I can't even figure out how to open the "Solution View" to see where I add the references. My solution view doesn't show anything unless I have a script open. I can see them in the assembly browser, but I can't do anything else. Am I missing a step? Thanks!

39. gamingislove

gamingislove

The solution view should be accessible through the menu: View > Solution

40. drewradley

drewradley

That's what I'm doing and it doesn't look anything like the screen shots. It's just blank. Is there a preference or something I need to change to get my solution view to show the references? I know I have a solution loaded since it tells me I do. Just don't get it. All I'm trying to do is edit the scene changer to use async loading so I can show a loading indicator. Simple to do with the code. DLLs baffle me. Could you possibly, maybe add that as an option in the next release and save me loads of headaches? I can send you the older scene changer I edited to do this if it will help.

edit: Got it. Alt Shift S shows that panel. Yay! Now I have the scene changer to load ansync so I can show a loading bar!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  41. drewradley

drewradley

How do I expose a new public variable for the scene changer in the inspector? I've got my loading bar working but want to have a loading image as well and would like to be able to assign that right in the scene changer in the inspector.

Thanks!

42. relacon

relacon

A shooter rpg would rock :)

43. N.K-K.

N.K-K.

Are there any plants for an implementation of a, uh, more traditional turn-based mode? It seems that current turn-based combat in the toolkit is designed to be more like menu-based combat as seen in JRPGs rather than a system from X-Com or HOMM series, old Fallout games, etc. That is unless I'm missing something obvious.

From what I have seen this toolkit is amazing in everything except this rather key issue.

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.4.3 released

New group shortcuts, event and battle AI steps, random spawn points for combatant spawners and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for details.

@drewradley
    You don't need to expose the variable, just type in the variable key/name you want to use.

@N.K-K.
    That's pretty much the same system, just missing a movement command (which could be added using abilities and the event system).

N.K-K. likes this.
  45. drewradley

drewradley

I solved this a while ago. :)

Perhaps you can help me with something else. How do I make it so when I press the attack key, it plays the attack animation instead of opening a menu? I've been digging through the framework menus for a while now and can't see anywhere to change that. It's probably pretty easy, but I just don't see it.

46. drewradley

drewradley

I'm looking at DamagerDealers and it seems like I can simply attach them to any object I want to turn into some sort of weapon or whatever that damages anything with a DamageZone. Is that more or less correct? I'm using my own controller that includes combat animations that work with a game controller so it would be great if all I have to do is stick a damage dealer to my weapons.

47. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

1) Can ORK do a kind of grid based combat & moment with turn based. Instead of the stationary turn based thing where the character and enemy are sitting in one spot and bounce back and fourth.

For example.
    - Character moves 3 spaces. end of turn
    - Enemy move 2 spaces & is now next to character. end of turn
    - Character swing & hits . End of turn
    - Enemy moves away. End of turn
    etc

2) does ORK have a party system?

48. drewradley

drewradley

I hope GIL is okay. Usually more active!

Anyway, in real time combat, my camera get's unparented. I have it set so no camera controls and made sure it is not blocking the camera but it still unparents it making it stop functioning since the control I use is on the parent.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  49. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Yeah, he's not active here, but on his website Orkframework he's very active, and usually answer every questions the next day.

50. drewradley

drewradley

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday when I was looking through the tutorials there. Thanks!

unityunity