Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. David5988

David5988

Got it. Got rid of the general box, but I can't rid of the choice boxes "nem game" "load game" etc...

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

Oh, yeah, in that case, you need to use a GUISkin that has no background images for the button.
    There's currently no option to disable the button box otherwise - gotta add it on my to-do list :)

3. David5988

David5988

Also, having problems with the idle animation looping. That animation doesn't look, but walking and running does.
    What's wrong?

How can I make the bar of turns like Final fantasy X or Blue Dragon? Also, any tips how to make a good looking menu?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. cynel

cynel

Thanks for the update how far are you with NGUI

5. StarAbove

StarAbove

David, that might not be because of ORK. Go into your character's fbx and in the animation section and see if you have idle set to loop.
    And GiL, thanks!

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

@David5988
    Like StarAbove said, check your animation if it's set to loop - ORK only plays the animations, if they're looping or not is up to your animations :)
    You can create a turn order list by using a HUD of type Turn Order, it's similar to the Combatant type HUDs, but display the list of turns instead. Btw, you can create a FFX like turn based system by enabling Active Command and Multi-Turns in the turn based battle settings.

7. cynel

cynel

Maybe there could be a tutorial on how to use Mecanim animations someday.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have come across an issue with battle events

I am trying to enable a status change to the enemy in the ability battle animation event and does not seem to work

It does work if i enable the status change in the ability itself, but i want it enabled after the hero animation has finished

The ability has no target and the effects are applied when i hit the enemy with my damage dealer

Is there any hint why this might not work ? Maybe the target is lost to the event, because the ability is declared without target and the target is only valid during the collision ?

I use ORK Framework 2.0.3

9. David5988

David5988

I tried to make a HUD similar do the FFX, but the hud only shows the character who has the turn at the moment, what I wanted is a list.=/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  10. goldencruz

goldencruz

is it possible to use s -nventory with ork inventory if not I am trying to get a inventory similar to diablo 3 style I tried to email you but I got no respaond I thought I ask you here thanks

11. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.8

I'll be on vacation next week, so the next (small) update will come this Sunday or Monday - but still contains awesome new stuff:
    - the formula selections throughout the framework can set an initial value to start calculation with
    - abilities, items, weapons, armors and crafting recipes now have portrait settings, which can be displayed in menu screens when they're selected
    - GUI boxes, showing the button box around choices is now optional
    - the ability cast time settings is now more advanced (e.g. using formulas or variables)
    - some interactions (trigger enter/exit, key press and drop) can optionally also be started when the player control is blocked
    - the main menu can display a portrait - and each menu item can display a different portrait
    - the battle menu can display the portrait of selected items, equipment and abilities ... and targets :)

@nasos_333
    Damage dealers/zones currently only do the calculation of an action (same as using the Calculate step) - any additional things from battle events aren't used here.
    I'm already looking into adding battle events to damage dealers for one of the next updates to allow doing more things :)

@David5988
    Did you set the Combatant Offset?
    If it's set to X=0, Y=0, all combatants info boxes will be placed on the same spot and look like there's only one listed. The value you need to use depends on the size of your GUI box and how you want to arrange them.
    To list them with the current on top and the others below, you need to set Y to a positive number, e.g. Y=50.

@goldencruz
    I'm sorry if I didn't reply to your email yet - I'm currently kinda flooded with emails and try to catch up :)
    I don't know s-inventory, but with coding, everything is possible - currently, the menu system only has inventory lists, but a slot based inventory is coming in one of the next updates.
    Alternatively, you can use Combatant type HUDs with Shortcut elements to create this look.

12. cynel

cynel

thanks or telling us ahead of time about the vacation.

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

I see, that is why nothing else played out :)

Ok, cant wait for that update :)

14. David5988

David5988

GiL: I tried that and nothing. =/

15. StarAbove

StarAbove

Have fun vacationing, GiL. How long are you gonna be gone?

16. gamingislove

gamingislove

@David5988
    That's strange, did you limit your HUD's list length?
    There's a setting for that :)

@StarAbove
    Thanks, I'll just be gone next week, probably till Saturday - but I'll drop by the ORK Community forum once a day (if I've got internet :D).

17. David5988

David5988

@GiL
    Yes, I set it to 5
    Also, I think I found a bug. I was setting the game menus and after I use an object or quit from the inventory menu, the character and controls freeze completely. That does not happen in Options, save and quit menu.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  18. gamingislove

gamingislove

Can you send me your ORK project file (found at Assets/ORK Framework/ORKProject.asset) to contact@orkframework.com?
    I'll be able to take a look on what's going on ..

19. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.8 released

This update brings the new Initial Value settings for all formula selections, portraits for abilities, items, currencies, equipment and crafting recipes (to display in menus), battle menus can (finally) use different GUI boxes for different sub-menus (e.g. abilities, targets) and other new features and fixes.

See the full release notes >here<.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers, the Asset Store is on it's way :)

20. David5988

David5988

How can I make NPC make the idle animation? Or walking?

21. cynel

cynel

so whens the next update?

22. gamingislove

gamingislove

@David5988
    You can either add a combatant to your NPC and use ORK's animation settings to handle that, or use a custom animation script. If it's just an idle animation, you should be able to play it (e.g. by enabling auto play in the animation component).

@cynel
    The next update will come around end of next week - I just came back from my vacation and am currently a bit flooded by emails and stuff :)

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nice :)

What is the plan for the damage dealers traversing the whole related ability battle action and not only the calculation step ?

24. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.9 news

The next update will get:
    - combatants can override the equipment setting of the class
    - abilities/items can use battle events to create more complex actions when a damage dealer hits a damage zone
    - damage zones can play an audio clip or sound type upon being hit
    - equipment viewers have advanced material settings (e.g. indexed material support)

More details can be found >here<.

@nasos_333
    Already implemented - 2nd one on the list :)

25. cynel

cynel

that's good to know what updates are coming.

26. David5988

David5988

Thanks GiL!

Another question... how can I erase the OK button from the dialogues and some menus?

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

That's done by disabling the Use Ok Button setting (and probably also Use Cancel Button) in the Default Ok/Cancel Buttons setting in Menus > Menu Settings.
    Or, if you only want to remove it in some GUI boxes, enable Own Buttons in the Ok/Cancel Buttons setting of the GUI box and change the settings there.

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great !!!! :), cant wait to put it in good use :)

29. David5988

David5988

I did that but appears blank boxes. What I wanted was something like "Press X" with the X icon.
    $9PpFYze.png

EDIT:
    Already found a provisory solution
    $Ar0I4UP.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  30. cynel

cynel

are those OUYA buttons?

31. David5988

David5988

Yes. Also, how can I update ORK 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 without losing my work so far?

I imported the Unitypackage but erase alll my work... luckily I backup all my work.

EDIT: I used my ORK Backup and restored all my setting with the newer version. Now I'm good to go. ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  32. cynel

cynel

sometimes i wish there were Video Tutorials i could follow.

33. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.9 released

This update brings the new found objects in the event system allow using any kind of game object in the scene, battle events have additional actors, combatants can override the equipment of their class, damage dealers can use battle events for advanced animations and lots of other new features and fixes.

The update has already been sent out to customers via email and is soon also available in the Asset Store.
    If you didn't receive it, just drop me an email with your order number :)

The new event system features bring a lot of new possibilities, like animating combatants that aren't user or target of an action (using the new actors available in battle events), or finding all game objects with a Rigidbody component around an actor and move them away using an explosion force ...

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great !!!!

Got the email, cant wait to apply it to the game :)

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

One question, what would be the recommended way to make controllable waves of enemies ?

Would it be spawning spawners with a single monster appearance and destroying them ? Or maybe make spawners with infinte enemies and activate/deactivate them at run time based on timing ?

Would any of the above cause any issue with the spawners themselves for example ?

36. cynel

cynel

hmm are there tutorials to make Button Commands in Battle system.

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.9a released

Here's a quickfix version, due to some bugs in yesterdays update - additionally including new battle event steps to directly calculate the outcome of an ability/item (without the action being that ability/item), and the combatant settings have been rearranged.

The update has already been sent out to customers via email and is soon also available in the Asset Store.

@nasos_333
    Depends - e.g. if it's only for some cinematics I'd recommend using the event system.
    If it's to really have the enemies running around and fighting in battles, I'd say combatant spawners with respawn enabled - once they're killed, they'll respawn.

@cynel
    There's a game tutorial covering that topic >here<. Although the tutorial sets it up for real time battles, you can also use it for other battle systems by simply enabling the system type in the control map's settings.

38. cynel

cynel

Well this is going to be tricky

Edit: also is there a way to use Procedural Generation in this Framework?

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  39. nasos_333

nasos_333

A question

I am thinking of buying Noesis GUI, how easy would it be to expose all the stuff shown in the menus (like inventory items list, equip items, interactions with items etc) to this new system ?

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.10 news

The next update is in development since last week, beside some small stuff, it will feature a completely new sub-system - a brand new Quest System.
    While you've already been able to do quests with the event system (and logs), the new system is a centralized way to create quests with rewards, tasks and everything else needed for quests. Of course, you'll still have to use the event system to get the actual quest into the game, but some things can be automated (e.g. collecting items, killing enemies, etc.).
    More details can be found >here<

The new quest system will also be implemented into all other sub-systems (menu system, HUDs, etc.) - more details on this in the next days :)

@nasos_333
    Haven't yet looked into that one, but usually, you can either simply create your own GUI and access ORK's information via code, or implement it into ORK's GUI stuff - which in the end is simply displaying the precalculated text/images from ORK in your GUI system, only the callback stuff is a lot of work ...

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks

Also very cool update info :)

42. cynel

cynel

so i said it before is there a way to use Procedural Generation in this Framework like Random looting.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

Depends on how random and how many items. Within the framework i can think of some ways, but you can always instantiate an item spanwer in code and then you can decide what the item will be, or directly spawn the item with the attached proper script to handle it from the framework.

I am sure there is a random function in the action steps too, but i have not tried linking it to a spawn item step

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  44. cynel

cynel

i guess

45. David5988

David5988

This thead has been so quiet lately...

46. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

That's because all the chatting away are at the ORK official forum.

47. cynel

cynel

most likely.

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yeah, come over to the ORK Community, that's where all the fun is :D

ORK Framework 2.1.0 news

Well, due to the massive update, 2.0.10 has been upgraded to 2.1.0 :)
    Stuff that's coming:

- queued notifications
    - consumable status value can have a custom start value (instead of 100 % like it is now)
    - wait for input fork > same as wait for input step, just with multiple inputs
    - dialogue steps can output their text to the console as well
    - killed combatants can optionally keep their prefabs in the scene
    - auto attacks can be optionally used only on selected targets (e.g. individual targets)

And, of course, the new quest system - you can find more infos >here<.
    The update will be out by the end of next week.

@cynel
    Beside using the event system for stuff like this, you can have Item Collectors spawn a random item out of a list of items.
    If you can give me more infos on what you'd need I can look into it :)

49. cynel

cynel

@gamingislove
    well nothing serious maybe a way to create random Enemy's and NPCs with a algorithm but it might require Bridging the gap of ORK and UMA.

50. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

just finally looked into this asset as im building a rpg of sorts more along the lines of borderlands/fallout type can i achieve this with this asset?? i know that depends on me but as far as tools in the asset thanks guys want to purchase this soon!