Search Unity

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. cynel

cynel

any news on the NGUI update?

2. Catacomber

Catacomber

Am looking forward to that minimap capability. My players would like to have a minimap.

3. cynel

cynel

anyways is there a way to create a leveling system like Final Fantasy II?

4. gamingislove

gamingislove

@cynel
    Working on NGUI, but it's still experimental :)
    A FF2 leveling system (i.e. no lvl/exp stuff, status values increase as needed, e.g. when someone attacks often, the strength increases) could be done by using Object Game Variables in the battle events.

E.g.:
    - physical attack abilities (like the base attack) increase the object game variable strength by one each time they are used.
    - in the battle end event (or whenever you want to do this, can also be in the attacks, at a special NPC, etc.) checks the variable, and if it's above a desired value (e.g. 100), you can increase the combatant's strength using the Status Change step, and reset the strength variable to 0.

Since object game variables are bound to the object (can also be set up on your combatants automatically), each combatant has it's own variables and they don't interfere with each other.

5. cynel

cynel

oh boy i better stick with the traditional leveling system.

6. David5988

David5988

I already have ORK Framework instaled. How can I update it to the lastest version?

Also, after testing the battle system I import it to a new scene, but when the battle begins the characters are in the air, not in the ground how it suposed to be.
    In the 1st scene I just used a plane, but in the 2nd scene a used a terrain.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  7. gamingislove

gamingislove

New tutorial type available: Gameplay tutorials

The new >Gameplay Tutorials< focus on different gameplay mechanics you might want to use in your game.
    The first tutorial in this new category is about a learning by doing leveling system: >Level up Status Values by using Abilities<

@cynel
    It's not that hard, check out the new tutorial :)

@David5988
    Simply import the latest version into your project (e.g. from the Asset Store or the update sent out via email).
    If you're updating from a beta version, please read this >how-to< first.

To place the battle spots on the ground, enable Place On Ground in Battle System > Battle Spots. Also check to use the correct Layer Mask to find the ground :)
    If you're using individual battle spots in your scene, you can also add a Place On Ground component to them.

8. cynel

cynel

Whoa where did that come from.

9. gamingislove

gamingislove

24 hour deal in the Asset Store

ORK Framework is todays 24 hour deal in the >Asset Store<.
    Get it while it's cheap - 50 % off!

@cynel
    I wrote it for you :)

10. cynel

cynel

Well because im in the Prototype phase i could try a Final Fantasy II Leveling system.

11. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Great looking package.

1. Does it support UMA ?
    2. NGUI ?
    3. I'm mainly on Mobile, how's the performance ?
    4. Can customization be done via Run-time?

Cheers.

12. cynel

cynel

I don't think it supports UMA yet.

13. StarAbove

StarAbove

Cynel, you should really thanks GiL, he did the newest tutorial just for you.
    Anyway, thanks for the awesome tut, GiL. I also learn more of how to use variables and object variable from it.

14. cynel

cynel

yeah all because i asked a simple question on how to make a leveling system similar to Final Fantasy II.

15. gamingislove

gamingislove

No need to thank me - it's just the start of a new series of general gameplay tutorials ...

And here's the next Gameplay Tutorial

This time it's about fighting in special battle scenes: >Battle in a different scene<

@rocki
    1. No, UMA is not yet supported, but it's on my to-do list and I've already taken a first look into it.
    2. I'm already working on that, but it's still experimental ...
    3. The biggest drawback on mobile is the Unity GUI, but that's been a lot better since Unity 4. Once the NGUI implementation is done this wont be a problem at all.
    Generally, I'd say you should worry more about graphics performance than about ORK :D
    4. In some cases, yes (mostly scene setup, e.g. event interactions), but I wouldn't recommend changing settings in the ORK Framework editor.

16. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Thanks for the answers.

Do you have an ETA on the NGUI and UMA integration?

Edit: Is it possible to use another 3rd party package like Dialogue System for Unity for the dialogues ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  17. gamingislove

gamingislove

Not really an ETA, but I try to have NGUI ready by the end of the month, UMA probably a month later ...
    But I can't promise anything :)

18. cynel

cynel

it appears im not the only one who wanted UMA integration to ORK after all.

19. Guideborn

Guideborn

That's just what I needed! Thanks!

20. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Hi there

I have seen two "ORK" assets in the store:

1) ORK Framework
    2) ORK Okashi RPG Kit

Do I need both? Or is the first one replacing the second one? What is the difference?

21. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Parallaxe, you only need to buy the ORK Framework as it is the second version of ORK Okashi Kit.

22. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Perfect, thanks a lot, Shadow_Fire (-:

23. gamingislove

gamingislove

Still 8 hours to go!

Grab your copy of ORK Framework while it's on the >24 hour sale< :D

@Parallaxe
    Like Shadow_Fire said, ORK Framework is the 2nd version of ORK Okashi RPG Kit.
    You only need ORK Framework, it's far more advanced, flexible and user friendly than ORK 1 has been :)

Also, there's a bunch of tutorials available for ORK Framework, e.g. the >game tutorial< series.

24. nixter

nixter

For anyone who is on the fence, I'd like to express my recommendation for this asset.

I own many of the RPG asset packages: ORK, RPG Kit 2.0, plyGame and Dextero RPG Framework. Of these four, ORK is the one I am using for my present game. It has an enormous amount of features and it's event-based system allows for very complex game behaviors using a visual programming system similar Playmaker. Combat, dialog, cinematics, complex GUIs and custom design make this a complete design package.

GamingIsLove's record of support and service for the past year have been phenomenal. I was disappointed with the lack of code access and DRM during the Beta, but now that Beta is over the DRM is gone and customers who need code access can get most of it (10% or so is still proprietary). I'm getting far along in my project and I haven't even needed to modify the codebase myself yet. The software is designed in a way that allows you to access any outside function and the API allows you to feed data back into the game at runtime.

If your RPG does need multiplayer (my first game doesn't), then you should look elsewhere since ORK has no multiplayer functions. Zerano's RPG Kit 2.0 would be my suggestion. RPG Kit 2.0 is built from the ground up with multiplayer, but I find the kit itself to be behind ORK in terms of features and options. But Zerano (like GiL) is an excellent programmer who provides good service to his customers. It really depends on the needs of your project. Or you could do what I did: buy both and learn from both.

If you love RPGs and want to make your own, ORK is a great framework to build your first game in.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  25. LoDx

LoDx

I'm late for just few minutes...:sad:

26. gamingislove

gamingislove

To everyone who's new to ORK Framework

I'd recommend starting with the >Game Tutorials< to learn using ORK Framework. It's the best way to get a first impression, see a lot of features and learn how they work.

If you get stuck somewhere and need help, or have a tutorial or feature request, don't hesitate to ask here or in the >ORK Community forum< - a bunch of great and helpful people there :)

I'm looking forward to see what you all will create with ORK Framework - so post your projects in the >showcase forum< in the ORK Community!

@nixter
    Thanks, I really appreciate it!

@LoDx
    There'll always be a next sale, someday :D

27. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Nixter, I remember your rage and disappointment when GiL announced the DRM and close source. XD
    Glad to have you back, man.

28. nixter

nixter

I was upset at the time because of the closed source and DRM, but I was really upset because I felt we ORK1 users were not properly informed about those changes after months of waiting. It was the lack of communication about big changes that ticked me off.

But that is water under the bridge at this point. ORK Framework is out of Beta and GiL is doing a bang-up job with support. It is, at this time, the best RPG framework for Unity.

29. cynel

cynel

yeah even thought i thought from the start the ORK worked like RPG maker but i found out that it wasn't but i decided to just go with it.

30. StarAbove

StarAbove

Hey GiL, for the Add Force Rigidbody, Add Torque Rigidbody, ‘Position Force Rigidbody, Explosion Rigidbody, Stop Rigidbody step, can you give an example of how to use it? Like what do you use it for. I got a feeling it's something good, I just don't know how it should it use.

31. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.7 news

So, what's going on in ORK 2.0.7?
    Beside lots of bugfixes:

- equipment can change the material of a renderer (attached to the same game object as the equipment viewer)
    - finding objects (e.g. event actors) can now search for objects with a defined component attached
    - the built-in mouse camera control can use a single axis for zooming (e.g. for scroll wheels)
    - GUI boxes can have different text formats for a choice's text, info and title
    - the Death battle event now uses the combatants who attacked the dying combatant as targets

More details can be found >here<.

@StarAbove
    Well, the Rigidbody event steps are used for working with rigidbodies :D
    They're basically using the standard rigidbody functions and can apply forces on game objects (also for a limited time). You can use this for moving stuff around, knockback effects and other things.

32. cynel

cynel

hopefully after this i can expect the NGUI integration maybe.

33. VataRaven

VataRaven

About the leveling system (yeah, I assume it's part of this)

Does it have different leveling curves (formulas, equations, algorithms, whatever you want to call them) to use for right out of the box?

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.7 news

The group target system has been improved and now allows having different targets for different abilities/items and ability/item types.
    And there's a new individual target system, works like group target but the selected target is only set for the currently controlled combatant.
    Details >here<.

@cynel
    NGUI integration is still experimental - supporting 3rd party software is always a long road :)

@VataRaven
    There are different leveling systems available:
    - Curve: the status values will increase based on a curve
    - Formula: the increase is calculated by a formula
    - Spending experience: you can buy status upgrades spending experience
    - Custom systems: you can use the event system to create other custom systems (an example can be found >here<)

A new (fresh) project doesn't have any predefined curves or formulas, but the curves are easily created by either using the built-in Unity animation curves, or by defining certain points (e.g. lvl 1 with 150 HP, lvl 99 with 9999 HP) and interpolating between them (which is a simple button press).

35. cynel

cynel

im not surprised if UMA would take that long after NGUI.

36. gamingislove

gamingislove

And there's more coming in ORK Framework 2.0.7

- Combatant type HUDs can display information on selected group/individual targets (e.g. allows displaying name and HP of a target)
    - Move AI can use advanced status requirements for hunting and flee conditions

@cynel
    Most likely, yes :)

37. VataRaven

VataRaven

thanks for answering

38. cynel

cynel

@gamingislove

im not surprised that NGUI was first on the plugin list

39. gamingislove

gamingislove

Also new in ORK Framework 2.0.7

- Trigger interactions can be started by other game objects than the player (check by name/tag and components)
    - The new Damage Types allow having different damage, critical damage and evade animations for each ability and item

More details >here<.

40. cynel

cynel

at least i know what to expect in the next update.

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have one major question

There seems to be an issue when i activate the starting player event script and other scripts at time 0

For example when i activate a enemy spawner and the event that spawns the hero at time 0, the enemies behave totally strange

Same happened when i was testing a cut scene, some things did not work right (movement steps stoped and never got to the next step for example) until i shifted it 0.1 secs after time 0 when hero was spawned and everything is fine

I guess this mainly affects the testing case, where i have to activate all scripts in the same scene and dont come from a load or teleport, but would like to know the proper order and timing for doing script sceduling

Any tips would be most wellcome :)

42. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nasos_333
    Most likely because of the test setup - initializing ORK Framework (using a Game Starter) in the same scene as autostart events can lead to those effects.
    That's why it is recommended to start through a main menu scene :)

43. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.7 released

This update brings the new Damage Type system to play different damage animations for each ability/item, new individual target system and update to the group target system, equipment viewers can change the material of renderers, trigger enter/exit interactions can be started by other objects than the player, and lots of other new features and fixes.

See the full release notes >here<.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers and will be soon available in the Asset Store :)

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great update :), amazing job as always

45. StarAbove

StarAbove

Let's say I want to create a knockback effect for knocking an enemy back using the rigidbodies step. Which rigidbodies node should I use and where would I put it? In my attack battle event?
    Ex, Start Event - Attack - Wait(0.5) - The Rigidbody node?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  46. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nasos_333

@StarAbove
    I guess an Explosion Rigidbody step is ideal for this. The place to put it is your attack event, place it where you want to push back the target (e.g. after calculating the damage).
    You also may want to enable Freeze Rotation on the rigidbody component, else the enemy will be not only knocked back, but also rotated wildly :)

Alternatively, you can also create knockbacks by using the usual Change Position step and move them back a bit (without facing the direction).

47. David5988

David5988

How can I make the main menu with just text and a cursor?

Like This:
    $Main_menu_screen.jpg

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

Use a GUI Box with Show Box disabled in the content box.
    If you want the cursor to be the same in all menus, you can set up the default cursor in Menus > Main Menus in the Default Choice Icon Settings. Or, you enable Own Choice Icon in the Choice Icon settings of the GUI box to only have it in that one :)

Of course, the background image/logo is up to you, e.g. using a GUI Texture in your scene.

49. David5988

David5988

I can't see Default Choice Icon Settings in Menus>Main Menu

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

Ah, sorry, meant Menus > Menu/Shop Settings :)