Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

@StarAbove
    Yes, that's possible with the Battle AI - the Check Orientation step is an easy method to check the position of user and target (front, back, left, right). If you want to go into more detail with angles, you can also use the Check Angle step.

In your case, a Check Orientation step with orientation Back and From Target enabled will execute the Success step when the user is in the back of the target, and you can use an action based on that - or go into further detail and check for status conditions or whatever :)

2. StarAbove

StarAbove

Thanks for the quick and awesome reply, Gamingislove! Now I know that it's possible, I have a lot of stuffs I want to try. Thanks!

PS, I notice your response time from ORK Framework to ORK 1 is awesome. In Ork 1, sometime you'll be gone for days and days and days before replying, but now we can expect a reply in no less than 1-2 days on average. May it will always be like this XD.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  3. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.4 in development

While looking into support for 3rd party products (e.g. UMA, DF GUI and NGUI), I've started development on the next update.
    This time it's mostly small stuff, e.g.:

- shop good can depend on variable conditions
    - new text code to display log texts
    - in-game console can also be printed in the Unity console
    - equipment parts can be locked by the event system, preventing them to change equipment

You can see more details >here<.

@StarAbove
    Yeah, there've been some hard times in the past, and sometimes you simply need some time off :)

4. StarAbove

StarAbove

True, there's no one more deserving to get some time off than you.
    Awesome! 2.0.4 seems nice.

5. cynel

cynel

Well if you have Skype i know a Group that Could Help you with UMA support

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

How is it possible to get the current dialog in code ?

In ORK1 i exposed the dialogMessage in Levelhandler, is there another way for ORK 2?

I am trying with ORK.Core.Handler.guiText.text, but does not seem to work

7. gamingislove

gamingislove

@cynel
    Thanks, I'll get back to you when needed.
    I first have to play around with it myself :D

@nasos_333
    Try the GUIHandler - you can access it via ORK.GUI, usually the current dialogue is the currently focused box, so you should be able to get it with ORK.GUI.Focus (returns a GUIBox).

8. cynel

cynel

@gamingislove that's good to hear

9. nixter

nixter

Agreed. GIL has really been very responsive on the ORK Framework forums. I've been working with this framework recently and his response time to questions is fantastic.

5-Star Support.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, i will try it out

11. ncho

ncho

Don't wanna come across as impatient but any ETA for the issues with using nested third party player controller/camera objects as discussed a while ago with my issues when using Ultimate FPS and ORK at the same time? :) Just would like to know whether it's in the works anytime soon as otherwise I'll just try to implement a workaround myself.

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.4 released

Phew, that's been a short cycle - but a lot of small features piled up :D
    This update brings locking equipment parts, custom main menu choices, auto-initialized Object Game Variables on combatants and scene objects – and other small improvements and fixes.

See the full >release notes<.

The update has already been sent out to customers and uploaded to the Asset Store (should be on there soon).

@ncho
    Oh, that's already been in there since version 2.0.2 - you can define the path to your child objects which hold your custom control scripts, that should fix the issue. Unless there is a different issue which you haven't told me yet :)

13. cynel

cynel

@gamingislove its a small update but i don't mind so how Like UMA so far?

14. ncho

ncho

Oh that's great, thanks, I haven't been following the updates too closely...I will try this with the newest version and report back if there's still any issues.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there a way to smooth out the motion of creatures in ORK 2 ? They usually rotate around themselves or have very jittering motion, that did not happen in ORK1. I use the exact same setup in colliders. Is there some smoothing parameter for the roation and behaviour of enemies ?

16. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

The player's HUD won't change it's position ingame, no matter how much I moved the Player HUD GUI Box in the WYSIWYG or edit the Content Box Setting.
    I made it so that the GUI is at the top right screen, but whenever I press play, it is always in the middle of the screen.
    Do you know what this is happening?

$A2.PNG

$A1.PNG

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Shadow_Fire
    I guess you're using the Individual combatant type in your GUI?
    As the help text explains, the individual GUI will display at the position of the combatant's game object, use the Group combatant type instead :)

@nasos_333
    What settings are you referring to, move AI or event steps?

@cynel
    Looks nice, but I haven't yet had the time to really take a close look.
    I'm currently focusing on NGUI integration.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Probably the general AI settings, maybe in the hunt move AI or combatant AI

It seems the wild rotation happens when the enemy has not aquired a target (when i get close seems to stop spinning and target hero), maybe i should define something in the idle settings ?

Also when the enemy does approach the hero, the motion gets jittery, maybe there is some threshold i should change that define the in between interaction or maybe is the smooth bounds that make it go back and forth ?

The same creature setup in ORK1 were mostly moving smoothly (with the rare exception though), maybe it is just that the default distances have changed or i should define something somewhere that i miss ? I am playing with it now to see if i can solve these and any help would be very precious :)

19. cynel

cynel

@gamingislove - i was hoping you make UMA a second priority after NGUI.

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nasos_333
    If you can send me your ORK project asset (found at Assets/ORK Framework/ORKProject.asset) to contact@orkframework.com I'll be able to look into your settings and see what's going on :)

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

I think i solved it :), thanks

It was the random patrol setting, when i disabled it everything seemed to work fine (plus some tweaks in the detect distance setting). The character stoped spinning and i get no jittering near the hero now

Now i have a problem making the enemy play his walk animation, he only plays attack (even when moving towards the hero), but i suppose that will be solved with playing a bit with the distances, probbaly the attack is enabled everywhere inside the radious the enemy sees the hero, that is why he moves playing the attack than the walk animation probably. I will play with it a bit and get back if it needs solving :)

22. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yeah, random patrol (without any idle behaviour) will simply walk from one random waypoint to another within the defined distance, which can lead to this kind of behaviour if the waypoints are close ...

Not playing the walk animation can come from various reasons, e.g. wrong animation setup (like when using legacy system and mixing up the layers), battle animation not waiting for the move and attacking at once, wrong move speed settings, ...

23. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Thanks GiL. Works perfectly now.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Did it, now works like a charm, the motion smooth as butter :)

The enemy used sprint and seems i had not set the layer right in this one (had only done it for run and walk).

I have to admit the real time battle was one of my major concerns when porting from ORK1 to ORK2, now seems my old setup works fine with the new systems, thanks for all the help and tips, they were spot on :)

EDIT: Is it possible to change the current animation set in code or in event steps ? I would like to use a different animation set based in situation. There is already the battle animation setting, but would want to have the hero change between two sets in battle for example

EDIT2: Or maybe i could just edit in code the animation names within the animation group

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  25. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.5 news

So, what's coming in 2.0.5?

- new built-in camera control: Top Down Border
    - new event step to change the target of a camera control
    - ending status effects on death is now optional
    - status effect changes can be forced, ignoring immunities
    - status effects can add absorbing damage to abilities and items

Details can be found >here<.

@nasos_333
    Could by done by changing the combatant's settings (combatant.Setting.animationID and combatant.Setting.animationBattleID) in-game and updating the animations (combatant.Animations.UpdateAnimations()), or by simply using Status Effects (which can be optionally hidden from the player) to override the animations :)

26. cynel

cynel

we okay so hows it going with Integrating other assets to ORK?

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

The NGUI integration is going good - should be ready in 1-2 weeks.
    I'll work on UMA after that :)

28. cynel

cynel

good but remember the UMA group invitation is still open for you

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

30. cynel

cynel

good

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Why cant i post my ORK Framework review in the asset store ?

There does not seem to have an option there to do so for some reason

32. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.5 news

The next update will be coming today or tomorrow - some new stuff:

- initial game variables
    - menu screens can pause the game
    - item collectors/boxes can play sounds
    - options menu in the main menu, change music volume, sound volume, text speed and custom options (game variables)

The options menu will also be available in menu screens as a new menu part - currently working on that :)

@nasos_333
    I think you'll only be able to comment if you bought it there ... if you bought it in the asset store, you should get in touch with them, I can't do much about that :D

33. cynel

cynel

this is good news on my birthday no less.

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.5 released

This update brings the new Top Down Border camera controls, a new options menu in the main menu and menu screens, absorb damage status effects and other new features and fixes.

See the full release notes >here<.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers and will soon be available in the Asset Store.

@cynel
    Happy birthday :)

35. cynel

cynel

this Update is what i call a good Birthday present

36. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.6 news

The next update will feature:

- combo input keys: use a sequence of input keys as input
    - value inputs editable via input keys (previously only by mouse/touch)
    - check equipment step allows checking for weapon/armor in general, without checking for a specific equipment

More details can be found >here<.

37. cynel

cynel

well this is a surprise

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.6 news

And there's more stuff coming up:

- alpha mask textures for most of the image settings (e.g. background images, portraits, HUDs, image event steps)
    - add force (rigidbody) event step
    - add force to position (rigidbody) event step
    - add torque (rigidbody) event step
    - explosion force (rigidbody) event step

Except for the explosion force, all rigidbody steps support 2D and 3D rigidbodies :)
    Details >here<.

39. cynel

cynel

so you mean that someday ORK Might support 2D RPGs

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.6 news

- menu screens can remember the last selection (finally :D)
    - GUI boxes can scale when moving in/out, for nice zoom effects
    - combatant experience rewards can now be defined extra, without using the combatant's actual exp stats
    - random battle chance can be changed in option menus

More details >here<.
    Release within the next few days!

@cynel
    ORK Framework already supports 2D RPGs - the new 2D colliders and triggers (and rigidbodies) are already supported out of the box.
    You only need to use custom player/camera controls, but depending on what style you're going for, the built-in controls can already work with 2D as well :)

41. cynel

cynel

I was just asking that's all besides im making a 3D Rpg.

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am almost done with my ORK1 to ORK2 port :)

It is really exiting that went so smoothly, plus ORK2 solved a huge number of things i would have to program myself in ORK1

A minor question, when i cast an ability that calls a menu of targets, sometimes when no enemy is near or the enemy has just died, it is called with no entries and blocks the flow of the game without beeing able to choose anything, and have to press back to leave the (empty) menu

How do i get this menu to never appear if it is empty of targets ?

Also another thing, sometimes i think an enemy will go after another enemy, is that controllable ? Maybe has to do with factions or something ? (i have not yet gone into that so i use the defaults and demos settings)

And is there a way to define camera distance per scene (or other variable, say if it collides with a wall) and jump height per hero ?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  43. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.6 news

- items/abilities can change the random battle factor
    - control maps can optionally use the attack of a selected equipment part (requires a weapon with Override Attack equipped on the part)

@cynel
    You can always ask :)

@nasos_333
    I'll add an option for not calling the empty menu.

Enemies going after other enemies can either be due to different factions that are enemies to each other, or having a status effect with Attack Allies applied. Or just a wrong setup for the ability's targets :D

If you want to define camera controls per scene, you'll have to disable the general camera control (i.e. control type None) and add the control component to each camera yourself (they can be added through Components > ORK Framework > Controls). If you only want to do this in some scenes, you can still use the camera control setup in the editor and add a No Camera Control component and the control component to the scene's camera.
    To have different controls (or control settings) per hero, you'll need to add the controls to the prefabs of your heros and set them up there - like with camera controls, use the None control type.

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), your help is greatly appreciated and spot on as always

I have a blast with ORK2, it is so powefull :)

45. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.6 news

And another nice new feature:
    - change equipment in battle menus

Release probably tomorrow!

@nasos_333
    ORK 2.0.6 will have changes regarding the empty target list - you'll only be able to select abilities/items in battle menus if targets are available, and control maps will use abilities/items only if targets are available as well :)

46. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.6 released

New Key Combo input keys, images can use alpha mask textures, battle menus allow changing equipment and giving commands to other combatants, rigidbody event steps, scale effects for GUI boxes and other new features and fixes.

See the full release notes >here<.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is currently being uploaded to the Asset Store, so it should be on there soon :)

47. StarAbove

StarAbove

Fantastic Update GiL.
    Can ORK create a minimap?

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

@StarAbove
    Not yet, but there is a commission request for that and will probably come end of May :)
    But you can create a navigation bar similar to Skyrim using a Navigation type HUD.

49. cynel

cynel

hmm for some reason i don't expect any major updates this month.

50. StarAbove

StarAbove

Oh, that's very cool! I'll wait for the minimap update. Please tell the person who commissioned you that I appreciate it.