Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. RadioactiveXP

RadioactiveXP

Is source code included for the package? I see a gameplay source code archive file; but without source for the framework, you are locked in and not be able to fully customize things.

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

The gameplay source code is the framework, including all gameplay mechanics and settings - only some core functionality (data serialization and the editor) are closed source. The editor also automatically adjusts to changed and added settings.

3. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.27.1 is here!
    This is only a small bugfix update for ORK 2.27.0 :)
    See the release notes for all changes.

The upate is already available in the Asset Store and Patreon.

4. p_hergott

p_hergott

Does ORK support splitscreen multipkayer?

5. gamingislove

gamingislove

No, ORK doesn't support any multiplayer out of the box.
    However, you probably can achieve that with some additional work and custom scripts.

6. lobotomista

lobotomista

Hello! I'm still not sure if this asset is for me, could you clarify a bit about the quest and event system??
    I'm trying to do a rpg where some skills would need to be unlocked. A rough example of what I have in mind would be:
    1.-You meet a thief NPC who gives you a quest, the reward for said quest would be a set of lockpicks.
    2.- A second quest would start a tutorial for the lockpick skill. Unlocking a provisional lockpick skill.
    3.- A third quest would start that would require you to succesfully pick 5 different locks. This would unlock the lockpick skill tree.
    4.- At certain parts of the story, some event or NPC would unlock some skill or branch of the lockpicking skilltree only obtainable this way.

Another thing I would like to know is: does your grid system implements line of sight?? I would like to make a game with stealth elements like in Invisible Inc.

7. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sure :)

Generally, the quest system itself is mainly for keeping track of the status and progress of quests and their tasks, as well as for UI stuff like menus and HUDs. Quests (and tasks) can also give rewards upon completion, e.g. experience, items, etc.
    Also, you can let a quest/task start game events when their state changes (e.g. finishing or failing a quest), which can be used to give additional rewards (like learning a new ability), show a dialogue or teleporting the player somewhere (and many other things).

The actual player interaction with a quest is done via the event system, e.g. speaking to an NPC.
    Some things are automatically tracked, e.g. if your quest task requires the player to kill 3 enemies of type X, each kill will be counted without having to do anything.
    You can check out an example in this gameplay tutorial.

As for your rough example - that's all possible :)
    1) That'd mainly be handled using events for the dialogues and managing the quest's state. Lockpicks sound like an item reward when finishing the quest.
    2) Learning the lockpick skill is also handled by the event system, at whatever point in the quest you need it.
    3) Picking 5 locks can be tracked via the Count finish requirements of a quest task, which let you define a custom counter which is increased via the event system. So each lock would increase the counter, finishing the task when 5 locks are picked (and e.g. starting the next task, like talking to an NPC or finishing the quest, rewarding the skill).
    4) Similar to 2+3, dialogue and skill/tree unlock via the event system.

The battle grids support line of sight, mainly in the battle ranges used by abilities/items for use/affect ranges. The grid is only used in battles, though, so there's no field (out of battle) use for them.

8. lobotomista

lobotomista

I'm still not sure if this is the right asset for me, could you answer a couple of questions building up from my last post?

So I want to make a game that's kind of a clone of fallout 1&2, but with magic and sci-fi. like shadowrun and time travel like chronno trigger. So here are some things I would like to acomplish:

1.-My biggest problem with fallout 1&2 is that stealth sucks! So I want to make stealth more like invisible Inc. with a touch of skyrim stealth. I already mentioned lockpicking and stealth on my previos question. But what about in battle things like use cover or an invisibility skill/spell to lose aggro.
    2.- I see you have backstabbing. but what about having a stealth character on the overworld steal while undetected?
    3.- I saw line of sight pro was recently open sourced. https://github.com/devdogio/lospro how compatible is this with ORK?
    4.- One thing that invisible inc. does great is: Attacks while powerful, have cooldowns. this way you are forced to go back to hiding instead of just fighting. I would like that stealth characters are weak fighters so I that they have to rely on stealth.
    5.- One thing I loved about chronno trigger were the double or triple abilities. here's how I envisioned this working. on a turn based grid battle. You would get certain amout of of action points based on speed, when you're full you get a turn. On your turn if an enemy is in range of a double skill and the companion has enough action points you can execute it and both units would then lose action points acordingly. range might be a tricky thing to implement. Not sure if that's possible? I was thinking of X-strike for example:

I saw on your tutorials that active time refills by time, but is it possible to refill by turn?? and if possible based on the speed stat?
    6.- for support characters I would like to implement auras. I for example definitely want to make something similar to ffxiv passage of arms. https://images.app.goo.gl/HBMHcfoTEMRNPEiV7

A couple of less important questions.
    - I recently got dooziUI on a humble bundle, is that compatible with ork??
    - Invisible inc. has this thing where before you move it shows a line tracing the path to take, and at the last grid shows how many action points would you be left with after moving, is there something similar in ork?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  9. gamingislove

gamingislove

If you haven't done so yet, you can check out the free test version of ORK and go through the game tutorial series to see if it's what you're looking for :)

1) I haven't played Invisible Inc., so I can't really tell if what's in that game is possible or not. During battles, stealth ist mainly up to the battle AI of your enemies - e.g. hiding behind cover can be checked using grid line of sight checks, using a stealth ability can add a 'stealth' status effect, which the battle AI can react to (e.g. lowering chances or outright not target at all).
    2) The backstabbing example is mostly for position based formula calculations, e.g. doing more damage from behind a target. There's no built-in stealth system in ORK, although you can somewhat manage it e.g. using status effects, the event system and similar things.
    3) No idea - out of the box probably not at all :)
    4) That's up to your setup in ORK - the status system is very flexible and can be set up however you need it. Cooldowns (in ORK called reuse time) are available.
    5) Double/tripple abilities (like in Chrono Trigger) are currently not possible. Might come at some point in the future, as I've also loved that game :)
    Active time battles (ATB) are pretty much defined by having a timebar fill over time - ORK includes 4 different battle systems (turn based, ATB, real time and phase battles - all can be used with battle grids). You can set up the system to e.g. increase a consumable stat (e.g. MP or 'action points') using a formula (which can use the stats of the combatant) each time a combatant has a turn.
    6) My paladin is only around lvl 65, so I don't have that yet - but yeah, something like that is possible. E.g. the ability adds a status effect, which spawns a prefab on the combatant that handles adding/removing effects on other combatants that are within the prefab's trigger.

Based on your questions, you're going for a complex system, so that'll definitely need a lot of work and experimentation to get it right, but most of it should be possible with ORK alone - maybe with some additional custom scripts.

As for your less important questions:
    ORK supports the legacy GUI (IMGUI) and the new UI (Unity UI), so no, dooziUI is not supported. You probably could add support for it by changing the gameplay code (included in the full version), but that'll be a lot of work.
    The grid move selection can use line renderers to show the path (and highlight the cells in other ways). You can also show an information UI to e.g. display the costs for the move (also your remaining points after the move), but I don't think it's currently available to display at the selected cell's position.

Duffer123 likes this.
  10. Anoo13

Anoo13

Hiya, is this compatible with unity 2019.3?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  11. gamingislove

gamingislove

Not as long as Unity 2019.3 isn't officially released.
    Once it's available, ORK will be made compabible with it shortly after (if it's not already working).

12. Anoo13

Anoo13

Ah cool, thanks bud ;)

13. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.28.0 is here!
    This update adds support for Unity 2019.3, a newish look to the ORK editor, selected data is now available like variables (i.e. also global and per object), new combatant and item despawners, updates to battle grids and many other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for all details.

14. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.28.1 is here!
    This small udpate adds some needed fixes and small new features, see the release notes for all details.

15. lobotomista

lobotomista

Can interactive cutscenes, like with quick time events be made with ork? I would like to make something kinda complex like a rythm game isie my cutscenes.

16. gamingislove

gamingislove

Hm, that should be possible, at least to some extend.

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.29.0 is here!
    This update adds Level Zones to manage the levels of all combatants within an area/scene, new Move AI features (e.g. new protection mode, points of interest, detection events, etc.), new sorting options for menus/shops (and changing the sorting in-game), a bunch of new event nodes, more access handler functionality and many other new features, changes and fixes.

C_p_H and AGregori like this.
  18. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.29.1 is here!
    This is just a quick bugfix update for an issue with teleport battles in ORK 2.29.0.

19. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.29.2 is here!
    This update adds a few new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for details.

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.29.3 is here!
    Small update with a few new features, changes and fixes.

In case you're interested, Makinom 2 is publicly available as a beta version: Makinom 2 BETA
    You might want to check it out and give feedback on it - ORK 3 will be based on it, so now's your chance to get usability features you need in there :)

21. Jiinzu

Jiinzu

Hello I just saw your asset on the asset stor and I have a few questions before buying it, does the asset allow you to do kick and punch combats? Is that the player can cause multiple damage in a single attack? is that we can have customizable tooltips?

22. gamingislove

gamingislove

That's a yes on all 3 :)

I'd highly recommend to go through the game tutorial series, it'll (probably) answer most of your initial questions and teaches you the basics and workflow of ORK by building a small game from scratch.
    You can finish the tutorials with ORK's free test version.

23. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove , for Ork 3 please can we have multi-classes, races n subraces and socketing/affixed fully supported? That would be majestic!

TextusGames likes this.
  24. blueFire

blueFire

I want to randomly create dungeons as the game is played but I did not see this listed as a feature of ORK. Does anyone know of another product in the asset store that randomly creates dungeons and works with and does not break ORK?

25. gamingislove

gamingislove

@blueFire
    ORK is an RPG framework, not a random dungeon creator (or level creator for that matter).
    However, you can use ORK in randomly created dungeons - there are already several users doing that, since you add ORK's content you've set up to the scene via components/game objects, you can easily include that in random dungeon generation.

26. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.30.0 is here!

This update adds 106 new features, changes and fixes - e.g. a brand new formation feature (can be used by move AI’s and as battle spots), custom events for abilities, items and equipment (similar to combatant custom events), the new menu list menu screen part, updates to quests, battle menus, status effects, shops and many other new features, changes and fixes.

The update is already available in the Asset Store and on Patreon.

C_p_H, AGregori and crafTDev like this.
  27. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

It's absolutely amazing how great you are on updates! Hope this is still being consistent great seller for you! Is there a discord I can join?

Thanks,
    jrDev

28. gamingislove

gamingislove

I think there's an unofficial one, but I'm not active there - discord is IMHO not good for suppport, at least not for questions about something complex like ORK :)
    The support forum is quite active, though.

crafTDev likes this.
  29. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.30.1 is here!

This is only a small update with some needed fixes and shops being able to sell quests.

30. Fhiz

Fhiz

Hey guys,
    Im following the development of ORK since a long time. But there are still a few aspects that I don't understand. Can you help me before I buy?

1. The Patreon is only required if we need active support and updates beyond the basic ones, is that right? So ORK won't be useless after a few update cycles If i do not opt for Patreon? Or does the asset time-out if i don't?

2. Is ORK limited to turn based games or can it be used for a realtime rpg as well? Im mostly looking for damage handling and all the related systems. So I would use my controller and monster AI and then just tell ORK to "deal damage at target (including buffs etc.)" and ORK handles the rest. Would that be possible for a realtime game?

3. Is ORK completely independent of other assets and structures? Im looking for a RPG asset that i can dump into my existing setup to provide me with ALL the basic RPG features required for such a game. Independent of the controller, turn based structure, camera, party size (single hero or multiple heroes), amount of enemies and so on.

4. Does ORK support monsters battled directly inside the game world or does it always require a "battle screen" when you encounter an enemy?

5. Does ORK come with all the typical stuff that is required for an RPG like a character selection, level up, skills, shops, quests and so on. I absolutely want to prevent having to add another asset to fill a gap (like missing skills or spells system). So, is ORK a complete solution?

6. Do I have to buy makinom in the future as well to make ORK work (i dont know anything about makinom) - am I forced to use it? Or is it a layer architecture that is used by ORK?

Thanks a bunch in advance, keep up the great work!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  31. AGregori

AGregori

@Fhiz I second these questions, wanna know myself. Currently using a combo of AdvCreator + DialogueSystem + QuestManager + EmeraldAI for comprehensive results, but keeping them updated and synchronized is an uphill battle. I'd like to rediscover ORK if it's a comprehensive solution.

32. gamingislove

gamingislove

1) No, Patreon isn't required for support at all. You can alwas get support, e.g. in the ORK support forum or by contacting me via email.
    Patreon is actually there to support me (financially) - and you can use it to get access to beta versions and updates, once you've run out of your free update period (which guarantee at least 1 year of udpates). See this info on the update policy for details. That being said, there has only been one 'paid' upgrade yet, about 2 years ago and there are no more planned during the ORK 2 lifecycle.

2) ORK comes with 4 built-in battle systems, turn based, active time, real time and phase battles - as well as a grid battle system that can be used with all of them. They're all loaded with settings to customize them to your needs, and if that's not enough, you can also change them via the included source code.
    What you described would be possible with the real time system (or not using a battle system at all and just triggering that from your own system).

3) Yes - ORK doesn't depend on any other assets and (most likely) includes all features you need in an RPG. Naturally, you might have some special system in mind that's not available out of the box, but usually this can be added via ORK's event system or a few custom scripts.

4) Yes, ORK supports that. If you want to fight your monsters right where you encounter them or go into a special battle arena is up to you and is all handled via ORK's event system, i.e. it doesn't require you to write a single line of code.

5) Yes, ORK includes that and has everything you need for an RPG (and more).
    There's no built-in character customizer, though - but you can set something like that up with ORK's event system. Same goes for a initial character selection, you'd handle that via ORK's event system, e.g. a choice dialogue to select a combatant, class, etc.

6) Makinom if available for free, so you don't really have to buy it :)
    ORK 2 is a standalone product and doesn't need Makinom (but you can use them together).

The next product iteration will change that, though. ORK 3 (a completely revamped version) will be based on and require Makinom 2 (which is currently in beta phase), working like an extension to it. However, workflow and system will stay the same, since Makinom and ORK share many similarities. Makinom itself is a general purpose game toolkit and was originally developed out of ORK's event system.

If you're interested in ORK, I'd highly recommend to go through the game tutorial series. It's the best way to learn ORK's basics and workflow, and see if ORK's what you're looking for :)
    You can finish it with ORK's free test version, so it's try before you buy.

33. Fhiz

Fhiz

Thanks a lot for you reply, im checking out the tutorials next!

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.30.2 is here!

This is only a small update with some needed fixes, no new features this time.

The update is already available on the Asset Store and on Patreon.

35. lobotomista

lobotomista

Is ork integrated with timeline? or does it have its own cutscene features, If so could you give a quick rundown?

36. gamingislove

gamingislove

No, ORK isn't integrated with timeline and contains it's own system for this - the event system, a node-based editor to do things like cutscenes, dialogues, animate battle actions or even extend the game mechanics.

Due to their different approach to doing things, timeline and the event system don't really mix together, but you can e.g. start a timeline (PlayableDirector component) fom an ORK event via a Call Function node, or start an ORK event using a custom timeline clip.

If you do the game tutorials, you'll make frequent use of the event system, starting in tutorial 3 with adding and spawning the player.

37. lobotomista

lobotomista

What about things that you usually do on timeline like moving limbs without an animation. For example:

I would like a cutscene where you walk to a blacksmith, hand him a sword (not an animation), then the blacksmith reaches out to grab the sword(also not an animation), places it on his anvil and and starts hammering. At this point I would like to add some dialogue while the blacksmith keeps hammering and doesn't stop hammering until all dialogue has happened. then hands the sword back.
    How would I do that on ORK?

Also about starting a timeline from ORK. Is there a way put some ORK dialogues in the playables?

Another question: How integrated is ORK with cinemachine? I've seen tutorials where you can change the camera and control.er. If I want to make a classic point and click setup, and have cameras take control when a player walks on a certain area but still have a main camera follow when the player is not on another camera's area. Does ORK has something like this or do I need to implement my own?

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework is 70% off!
    ORK is 70% off as Best of Super Sale's daily deal on November 25, 2020.
    Afterwards, it'll be 50% off until the end of the sale on December 4, 2020.
    Check it out in the Asset Store.

@lobotomista
    For doing it ORK-only, you'd probably best use animations for certain things, but you can use the event system to manipulate game objects (or child objects of them). E.g. walking to the blacksmith can be done with a single node and waiting for the player to arrive before continuing the event. Giving the sword to the blacksmith might be a bit tricky without an animation, though.
    It's probably best to use both for this, e.g. starting the timeline for the animations and using an event for the dialogue - the dialogue event could start the timeline, wait for the needed time until it's at the point where you want to display the dialogue.

You can't directly put ORK dialogue into a timeline - for that you'll have to create the game event (containing your dialogue) and set it up via an Event Interaction component, starting that via a custom timeline clip/playable.

There's no specific integratoin for cinemachine, due to not really being needed. You can control cinemachine from ORK's event system by simply enabling/disabling game objects (via Activate Object nodes) and change settings or call functionality via function nodes.
    Combining a classic camera control (either one of ORK's built-in controls or a custom control) with cinemachine is pretty easy. You'd just block the camera control when entering the area (e.g. using a Trigger Enter event interaction) and have cinemachine take it from there. ORK also has a similar system for this, called Camera Events, which are explained at a later part of the game tutorial series. Nowadays, cinemachine is probably the better choice, though :)

Generally, ORK is mainly an RPG background system, sprinkled with additional features to handle pretty much everything you'll need - but you can replace most of these systems with custom or 3rd party products if you want.

39. Inspeinre

Inspeinre

If I buy on sale, how much will the yearly updates cost?

40. knas01

knas01

Hi, does Ork also include path finding?

41. C_p_H

C_p_H

NavMesh for starters.

42. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework is 50% off!
    The Daily Deal might be over, but you can still get ORK 50% off until the end of the sale on December 4, 2020.

@Inspeinre
    The update cost is the same, regardless of if you purchase in sale or not - i.e. $50.
    That being said, it's not rally a yearly thing - you're guaranteed at least a year of free updates. At certain times I need to make a paid update to, well, eat :)
    There's currently no further paid update planned for the ORK 2 lifecycle.

@knas01
    No, ORK is an RPG framework. However, ORK contains a feature called Move AI, which is used to determine movement targets for combatants (e.g. enemies in the field detecting the player on sight and giving chase, or fleeing, etc.) - that information is forwarded to the movement component of your choice, e.g. NavMesh agents.

TextusGames and aweha like this.
  43. knas01

knas01

44. renel12345_unity

renel12345_unity

I have a question about integration or using 3rd party assets...

• OPSIVE UCC (Ultimate Character Controller)
    • OPSIVE UIS (Ultimate Inventory System)
    • PIXEL Crusher Dialogue System & Quest Machine
    Can the above be integrated using your framework (which by the way is incredibly well done)?

Do I have options?

45. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine and the Dialogue System for Unity both include integration packages for ORK Framework. They're maintained by Pixel Crushers.

46. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.31.0 is here!

The biggest updated to ORK yet, coming in with a whopping 145 new features, changes and fixes!
    Check out the details in the release notes.

This update adds sound channels, performance improvements throughout all features of ORK, async ORK project loading for game starters, custom choice positions, a new top down 2D player control, global horizontal plane setup, advanced value selections for ranges in move AIs and ability/item use ranges, new formula and event nodes, directional target selection, multi-mode for battle menus (i.e. keep previous GUI boxes open when opening sub-menus), 3 new menu screen parts (and other menu screen updates), updates for HUDs and many other new features, changes and fixes.

Beside all the obvious big new features, don't miss out on the smaller stuff, e.g. the new Use Damage Zone node allows damaging combatants directly via their damage zones (on game objects) - maybe found from a previous raycast node, making FPS shooting damage an easy 2-node setup :)

Please note that the new horizontal plane handling (the Default Horizontal Plane setting in Game > Game Settings) will revert all other horziontal plane settings to use the Default horziontal plane. The new setup should make it easier to switch from 3D (XZ plane) to 2D (XY plane) without having to micromanage settings spread out across ORK.

As usual, the update is already available in the Asset Store as well as on Patreon.

@renel12345_unity
    Sorry for the late reply. Depends on what kind of integration you're looking for - generally, ORK can work with any 3rd party player/camera control, check out the how-to on custom controls.

zmaxz, Havok_ZA, C_p_H and 1 other person like this.
  47. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.32.0 is here!
    This time it's a smaller update with only 41 new features, changes and fixes.
    Check out the details in the release notes.

As usual, the udpate is already available in the Asset Store and on Patreon.

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.32.1 is here!
    Quick bugfix update for an issue with the new UI, Sprite Swap buttons where not displayed correctly when opening a GUI box.

As usual, the udpate is already available in the Asset Store and on Patreon.

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey @gamingislove,

It’s great to see you pushing updates after all these years! Outstanding support!

Thanks,
    jrDev

C_p_H and TextusGames like this.
  50. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.33.0 is here!
    Smaller update with 31 new features, changes and fixes!

ORK 3 BETA available!
    A first public beta version for ORK Framework 3 is now available, see all the details on the official beta page.
    There's already some basic documentation available, especially for the new UI system.

Since ORK 3 is an extension to Makinom 2, you'll find a large range of general documentation on features like input keys or the new editor over in the Makinom documentation pages.

AGregori likes this.