Search Unity

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. witcher101

witcher101

Hello is it possible to create combat system like Grandia 2 with this??

2. jGate99

jGate99

Im following game tutorial series, do you have complete samples? so for example if i skip lesson i can still play and see how it works.

3. gamingislove

gamingislove

@witcher101
    It's been some time since I played Grandia 2, but as far as I recall it was an active time battle system, which is available in ORK Framework.

@AmRafay1
    Sure, you can download the finished game tutorial project in the showcase, it's the ORK demo project :)

4. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.16.0 is here!
    This update adds support for Unity 2018 (also available for 5.6 and 2017), improves battle AI grid movement and has a lot of other features, changes and fixes!
    See the release notes for all details.

The update is already available in the Asset Store and has been sent out to customers.

Bhanshee00 and Gregorik like this.
  5. jarpg360

jarpg360

i have 2 questions.
    1. is there a way that i can make a pokemon style capture and trainer system?
    2. can i use this with ootii third person controller and uMMORPG?

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.17.0 is here!
    Check out the latest version's list of new features, changes and fixes in the release notes.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Asset Store!

@jarpg360
    Sorry for not answering earlier, I wasn't notified of a new post here. You can always check out ORK's support forum or write me an email (contact@orkframework.com) to get answers to your questions :)
    As for your questions:
    1) Yes - you can do that. The player can be a non-fighting member of the group and you can set up mechanics to capture/recruit enemy combatants in battles.
    2) ORK supports a wide range of custom controls, but I can't guarantee that it'll work with ootii out of the box, so you might need to do a little bit of custom scripting here.
    Getting ORK to work with something like uMMORPG will probably require a massive amount of changes to the (included) source code. It's not impossible, just a lot of work ...

7. alexsheppard5

alexsheppard5

is it capable of being integrated with UFPS (without extensive re-writing)? if anyone can help me out with it i would be very appreciative!! thanks:)

8. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Integrating cameras and character movement systems is easy. But anything with a weapon system is going to be time consuming and difficult to integrate. It would almost be easier to build the whole controller from scratch (or from a few component assets).

-EDIT- To be clear, it is "possible" to do. It's just not worth the effort.

alexsheppard5 likes this.
  9. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.17.1 is here
    Check out the latest version's new features, changes and fixes in the release notes!
    As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

Havok_ZA likes this.
  10. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.18.0 is here
    Check out the latest version's new features, changes and fixes in the release notes!

This update adds some love to the battle system, especially active time battles. There are now general cast times, allowing you to also cast using other actions like items or defending. There have been changes how cast times work in active time battles (without dynamic combat) - while casting previously blocked other actions from being used/casted, casting an action now works more like filling the timebar, i.e. casting will no longer block other actions from performing, bringing some actual use to them :)
    Also, there's a brand new HUD type for the active time battle system - the Timebar HUD allows you to add a Grandia-style UI (or Child of Light for a more recent example), where individual combatant HUDs move along a timebar to display the state of every combatant's timebar. Optionally also includes cast time :)
    Another small but helpful addition is optionally remembering the state of some built-in cameras between scenes. This is available for camera controls that actually allow the player to change them, e.g. the Top Down Border camera.

Update Policy Changes
    Please note that ORK's update policy changes with this update. You can read more about this and how to get access to further updates here.
    Due to releasing this update as a new package in the asset store, it might take some time until the newest version 2.18.0 is available. Contact me (contact@orkframework.com) with your order/invoice number to get faster access to the update.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Havok_ZA likes this.
  11. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

I've owned ORK Framework (<=2.17.1) for some time. This is now marked as Deprecated on my Unity Asset Store downloads. I cannot see version 2.18.0 on the Unity Asset Store currently (although appreciate it can take time for it to work its way through). Will I have to pay an upgrade fee to download v2.18.0 from the Unity Asset Store? Do I have to pay either (a) full price on the Asset Store or (b) $25 on Patreon - to upgrade to v.2.18.0 (and all updates for the year following the further purchase)? Am I right in my reading then of the Updates policy?

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Duffer123
    The update is now available in the asset store, took them some time to do so. If you've purchased within the last 6 months, you should be able to upgrade to the new asset for free via the asset store. If you've purchased within the last 12 months, send me an email with your order/invoice number to contact@orkframework.com to get free updates until your 1 year update period runs out.
    If you've purchased over a year ago, you can either:
    - purchase another copy in the asset store to get updates for a year
    - pledge $25 on patreon whenever you have the need for a specific update :)

13. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hi,

I just read in another forum that ORK will be charging for upgrades once a year ? How much will that be ?
    And the question of 25 $ for patron ? does this mean 25 $ as a one time payment will be good for another year ?

The third question .. the " Unlimited ORK Free " version will that be the full version for free, just with a DLL ?

I do not own Ork as of now, I am just asking questions for now about this and the intention.

( it is just my opinion as of now, some developers will be able to do this and keep
    customers, others will not )

Also I guess it would depend on how much was the asking price for upgrades/updates ..
    but this is in essence a subscription.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Duffer123 likes this.
  14. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.19.0 is here!
    Check out this version's new features, changes and fixes in the release notes.

The highlights of this release are the new grid cell size feature for combatants (allowing a combatant to occupy multiple cells), abilities/items/equipment optionally using their own variables in descriptions, new status previews and a new set of default settings for all combatants.

@Mark_01
    You can find details regarding the new update policy here.
    Basically, you can either purchase a new license each year to get further updates or get updates as long as you have a $25 pledge on patreon. Updating via patreon doesn't grant updates for a year, it just gives you access to the latest updates as long as your pledge is active (which is $25 per month) - it's mostly meant for cases where you don't want to pay $100 a year and rather purchase individual updates as needed.

Regarding the patreon goal Unlimited ORK Free, if it's ever reached, means that the free test version of ORK will get rid of its limitations, basically becoming a full ORK version and only missing the included source code.

15. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.20.0 is here!
    The highlights of this massive update are two new menu screen parts, the Inventory Exchange (to allow exchanging items between different sources, e.g. combatants, item boxes and shops) and the Status Value Distribution (to, well, distribute status values) menu part. Also, battle AI's now support local variables and selected data and there have been improvements to many parts of the UI!
    See the release notes for all new features, changes and fixes.

Havok_ZA likes this.
  16. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.21.0 is here!
    This version brings updates to flying texts, menus, the battle end gains and many other new things.
    See the release notes for all new features, changes and fixes.

zmaxz likes this.
  17. BigYetti

BigYetti

Unity is just a hobby for me, not a profession. And I believe integrity in life is about honoring agreements. When I purchased the asset years ago it was not stated that my full purchase price would be null after a time. To charge the full price again for the asset every year is just bad business. Why don't you just have something like a 20% maintenance fee upgrade charge on significant feature updates? Or if you have to do significant work to make it work in a new Unity version, charge 20% upgrade for that too. I'll bet you get just as much money in the end (because I think most people won't pay the full price every year anyway).

Look at what Adam Goodrich did with the GeNa to GeNa 2 upgrade. Asset cost $57, upgrade cost to version 2 is $20. This makes a lot more sense then charging full price again every year to your customers (the people who originally made your product successful by purchasing it in the first place).

Another example, Vegetation Studio to Vegetation Studio Pro. They kept the original available and updated with bug fixes but the major release is Pro version with more features and charged an upgrade fee of about half the purchase price to go from base version to Pro version.

Deprecating a significantly priced asset (ORK Framework @ $100), essentially nullifying your customers purchase, just to charge your customers for bug fixes (your responsibility) and new features (which can be look upon as optional by your customers) is not looked upon in any good light.

Bad price policy changes like this coupled with abandoned paid assets by asset publishers is taking me to the point of not purchasing ANY more assets except models.

Tortyfoo, Jaimi and Mark_01 like this.
  18. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Thank you @BigYetti for putting far more succinctly and politely what my thoughts were as well. I refrained from replying when I first read this "new" policy as was so annoyed by it especially as completely arbitrary when it gets cancelled and you have to re-buy something you have already paid for potentially multiple times before.

Luckily for me hadn't actually invested any time in to this asset so just lost my initial purchase price. If there had been a reasonable upgrade path would have been fine with that but now abandoned the asset with lesson learnt and will *NEVER* buy anything released by the author again. They should realise they lose far more grace from alienating old customers and potential new customers should be put off buying it so can't see how this was ever a good idea.

With your examples I upgraded Gena 2 but not yet Vegetation Studio Pro as using 2017 LTS but the option is there later to pay an upgrade price if I switch to 2018.

Mark_01 likes this.
  19. Mark_01

Mark_01

Exactly, in my opinion too, if any thing, charge a yearly ? fee or upgrade fee of 20 $ a year instead.
    Having to pay for bug fixes is insulting at best, and not the fault of the buyer.
    I am guessing that while Yes dev's do need some kind of support.... just becasue Unity has started looking at this..
    To me if a dev goes Great and goes nuts and charges the moon, they are entitled for sure..
    just as potential customers have the right to not buy it.

The other big draw back is that support for other good* 3rd party controllers is not really there.

It is up to the Dev in the end... what the market will bear ... could be a guide

But maybe also something like charging customers a yearly " maintenance " fee could be
    an option too. But the thing is people only have so many 20 $ to even give as maintenance a year.

If you have speed tree and photo-shop that's like 40 $ a month, so in my mind being reasonable will get you more in the end. But each to his own, those are just my idea's . Since I am hobby only.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Tortyfoo likes this.
  20. henmachuca

henmachuca

Lets say I download the free version for testing and spend some time creating a sketch of a game I want. After I purchase the full license, will I be able to upgrade from free to paid(full) version without loosing all the work that I have done?

21. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.22.0 is here!
    This update adds a lot of new features, some changes and fixes - some of the highlights are:
    • Flying texts can now be defined for player, ally and enemy groups (e.g. player damage with red text, enemy damage with white text).
    • Abilities, items, equipment and other inventory shortcuts can now be renamed, e.g. making your Sword into an Awesome Sword+ after visiting an upgrade NPC :)
    • All notifications can now also be changed to work like dialogues (i.e. closing after being accepted).
    • Updates to group/individual targeting, e.g. raycast line of sight.
    • Battle menus can now show empty ability/item types.
    • New settings to limit menu screens (and battle menus) to only show empty ability types that are or will be available to the combatant, e.g. based on the combatant's ability development settings.

@henmachuca
    Yes - upgrading to the paid/full version will simply replace the limited version's DLL files, all data and other setup will still be available. I'd recommend making a backup of your Unity project before upgrading, though - there's always a chance that something might go wrong during asset imports ...

@BigYetti @Tortyfoo @Mark_01
    I absolutely understand that sentiment. I've provided free updates to ORK for over 8 years and would have loved to continue doing so. However, ORK Framework is a niche product and doesn't generate as many sales as something like GeNa or Playmaker. Simply put, ORK currently doesn't generate enough income to justify the amount of work needed to update and support it as it has been done the last 8 years. In the end I only saw two options - either abandoning the asset or going the subscription route.
    Also, in case you don't want to pay full price each year, you can still get updates by making a 25$ patreon pledge - e.g. just pledging for one month per year to get the latest update each year.

TeagansDad, jrDev and Mark_01 like this.
  22. jrDev

jrDev

Hello,
    If this is the best route you can take to keep updates coming, I support it. I need updates to keep coming instead of abandoned assets that I bought and now noticed that they are deprecated. Buyers don't understand that if you are not the most top asset on the front page, you will not be getting a lot of sales. For me, it is hard to go back to updating an asset when I don't see any sales for it coming in, but at this point, I will still provide needed support so long as it doesn't interfere with other assets that do make some sales.

Thanks for the continued improvements and support!

Thanks,
    jrDev

TeagansDad likes this.
  23. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.23.0 is here!
    Some of this update's highlights are:
    • New battle statistics feature, can e.g. be used to keep track of damage dealt/received per combatant
    • Flying texts can now be scaled and rotated through their move event
    • Attack attributes can override the refresh/damage flying text colors
    • There's a new save game method to save to the data path instead of persistent data path
    • New dialogue to select an entry from selected data (e.g. from stored items or abilities)

The update should be available in the asset store shortly :)

24. TheeNeon

TheeNeon

Can a Kingdom Hearts Magic system be implemented? Where a cut scene is played before a spell takes effect?
    Also what type of Quest mechanics is offered by ORK?

25. TonyLi

TonyLi

Not to hijack the thread, but since people have been asking: the ORK integration packages for Quest Machine and the Dialogue System for Unity have been updated for v2.23.0. You can download them from Pixel Crushers. To keep this thread clean, if you have questions please post on the Quest Machine thread or Dialogue System thread.

Mark_01, Duffer123 and Gregorik like this.
  26. gamingislove

gamingislove

@TheeNeon
    I'm not really a Kingdom Hearts player, so I can't really confirm this for every detail, but playing cut scenes before actions is definitely possible. All actions are animated using ORK's event system, so if you want to have a cut scene playing before an action, you'll simply do that in the action's events.

ORK's quest system is pretty flexible - a quest consists of tasks you add to it. A task can either be progressed/finished automatically (e.g. by collecting required items or killing required enemies) or via the event system (e.g. talking to an NPC). Generally, the quest system on its own is only keeping track of the quest's progress, while the event system is used to do interactions for the quest (e.g. receiving/accepting a quest, talking to NPCs, etc.).

@TonyLi
    Thanks for your continued support :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. AlaskanDruid

AlaskanDruid

Is it possible to download this asset? I purchased 2.17.1 awhile ago, and it was abandoned... I was forwarded to this version and it wants me to re-buy the asset again?

28. stas1990

stas1990

Recently acquired the ORK Framework! There were problems with stamina. I did everything on the artainx video! Problems with regeneration through Stattuf effects did not solve, bypassed this problem through status value time changes. In principle, this is not the most important thing. I need to, at endurance level 0, the player start walking and wait for 5 seconds or more until endurance almost increases. how best to do it?

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

Quick update on the next ORK version, which is currently scheduled for mid to late April - there'll be massive changes in ORK's asset usage, allowing the use of asset bundles and Resources folders, alongside a convenient way to automatically change the asset sources for the whole ORK project (+event assets) with a single button click :)
    E.g. while in development you can just use regular asset references and later pack your stuff in to asset bundles, clicking a button in the ORK editor to automatically update all asset settings that are now available in asset bundles.

@AlaskanDruid
    That's due to the new update policy - please contact me at contact@orkframework.com (including your invoice/order number from the asset store) to get updates. See the update policy changes for details on this.

@stas1990
    I hope my email answered your question, as I didn't hear back from you :)

30. gamingislove

gamingislove

Mission Grid Battles
    There's a new ORK Framework demo project available, featuring tactical grid battles and some advanced game mechanics. This isn't an in-depth tutorial like the game tutorials, rather a project for you to look at and learn from yourself.
    Learn more about this project and download it here.

31. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.24.0 is here!
    This update adds a bunch of new stuff - the main feature is the support for different asset sources (e.g. asset bundles). Learn more about the asset source feature in this how-to.

32. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.24.1 is here!
    This update mainly adds support for Unity 2019 (use ORK for Unity 2018 for this), but also includes small features and moves some settings (mouse cursors, battle camera and target settings) into their own sub-sections.

The update is already available in the Asset Store and other update sources :)

C_p_H likes this.
  33. Devision4

Devision4

What is status of ORK 3.0 or should I grab the current version ?

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

Active development hasn't even begun yet, as I'm still working on Makinom 2 (which will be the basis for ORK 3). So, yeah ... current version would be the only option for some time :)

Duffer123 likes this.
  35. BV123

BV123

Full price for existing customers? I barely had a chance to use Ork and now I have to pay FULL price again? No, I don't think so. Moving on to better options.

Tortyfoo likes this.
  36. gamingislove

gamingislove

@BV123
    I'm sorry that you feel that way - although you don't have to pay, as you can still use the last version you've received (after your guaranteed 1 year of udpates). You only need to pay if you want to receive further updates after a year, and there are also other update options, see ORK's update policy for details.

Providing support and updates for assets like ORK (and many others on the asset store) is a full time job, and asset developers also need to live off something - otherwise you'll be left with a lot of abandoned assets.

Jaimi, C_p_H and TeagansDad like this.
  37. BV123

BV123

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Maybe it'll become true.

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.25.0 is here!
    The main feature of this update is the new GUI Layouts feature - learn more about it in this how-to.
    There's also a lot of other new features, changes and fixes. Read the release notes for all details.

The update is already available in the asset store and has been sent out to customers :)

TeagansDad likes this.
  39. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.25.1 is here!
    While this is mainly a small bugfix release, this update also contains some usefull new features, e.g. a new Circle GUI layout or using Affect Ranges of abilities/items on the user instead of targets. If you're using the legacy GUI, this release will give you some performance boosts - up to 50% depending on the use case!

As usual, the update is already available in the asset store and has been sent out to customers.

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.25.2 is here!
    This is a small bugfix release, see the release notes for all details.

41. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.26.0 is here!
    This update adds a new percent-based status development, conditional use/affect ranges for abilities and items, move animation for GUI layouts, combatant links and many other new features – see the release notes for all details.

The update is already available in the Asset Store.

Learn more about the new percent-based status development in this how-to on (general) status development.
    See a use case for the new combatant link system in this gameplay tutorial about creating a protection ability.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  42. Devision4

Devision4

please add more video tutorials. Your asset is amazing but sooooo complicated :((((

43. gamingislove

gamingislove

Here are some new tutorials on new features (also added to my previous post):
    Learn more about the new percent-based status development in this how-to on (general) status development.
    See a use case for the new combatant link system in this gameplay tutorial about creating a protection ability.

@Devision4
    I'd recommend following the game tutorials to learn the basics step by step.
    There'll be no video tutorials (at least not from me), as I simply lack the time (and talent) make them. There are also often changes and additions to features, so they'd need to be redone regularly ...

TeagansDad likes this.
  44. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.26.1 is here!
    This is only a small bugfix update, see the release notes for details.

The update is already available in the Asset Store and on Patreon.
    For the latest features, see the ORK 2.26.0 release notes.