Search Unity

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

@arnesso
    See this thread in the ORK forums for details - seems to be a bit complicated.

@Gregorik
    Depends if you've bought ORK 1 or 2 - ORK 2 has been out for 3 years now. If you've bought in the asset store, you'll get your new versions there. If you've bought it in my webshop, you'll receive the updates via email (to the address you've used to purchase).
    You can send me an email with your order number to contact@orkframework.com if you bought in my shop and don't receive updates :)

AGregori likes this.
  2. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@arnesso - I'm the guy who started that thread that @gamingislove linked to.

I got pretty far integrating ORK with TPC, but I was still having major headaches trying to get TPC's weapons, inventory, and animations subsystems (because they're somewhat tightly coupled) working the way that I needed it to with ORK. I put the integration on hold while waiting for the next major update to TPC (which I don't think has arrived yet), and shortly afterwards I switched my own project over to ootii's Motion Controller, which I decided was a better fit for what I need.

As stated in that thread, I do intend to revisit ORKsive once TPC 1.4 arrives, but I probably won't be developing it beyond that, given that I'm no longer using it myself.

TPC v2.0 (still many months away) should be a different story, and when that is released I'll certainly have a look at building an integration. However, this does absolutely nothing to help you now. ;)

I was able to get it working such that you use TPC as the character controller and the weapon attacks would use Abilities and formulas for ORK for calculating damage and status effects. ORK would still handle XP, leveling, etc. The major problem was getting weapons equipped on the character, as TPC needs all of them set up at design time.

I've replicated most of this functionality with Motion Controller now -- and the weapons work the way I want as the combat Motion Packs instantiate the weapons at run-time.

BackwoodsGaming and arnesso like this.
  3. drewradley

drewradley

@gamingislove Could you possibly add item consumption overrides to the inventory? I'm trying to set up guns that use different ammo and other than setting up different "abilities" for all the different ammo types, I am hoping you can add an override on the item themselves.

Thanks!

4. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.11.0 is here!
    This update brings new general shortcut settings, auto add/arrange shortcuts, optional grid battle always examine, new status preview settings, support for custom save game solutions and many other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes for all details.

The update is already available in the Unity Asset Store.
    Another update (ORK 2.11.1) will be released in a few days, adding Unity 5.6 support!

@drewradley
    Will look into it for future udpates :)

5. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.11.1 is here!
    This update simply adds Unity 5.6 compatibility/requirement - check out ORK 2.11.0 for all the latest features :)

The update is already available in the Unity Asset Store.

AGregori likes this.
  6. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.11.2 is here!
    This update contains an urgent fix for a bug when using Individual inventories.

The udpate is already available in the Unity Asset Store.

7. Borunor

Borunor

Good evening, I currently use version 2.11.1 of your asset with Unity 5.5.4f1.
    I Follow your video tutorial and also your tutorial here (http://orkframework.com/tutorial/game-tutorial/3-adding-the-player/)
    But every time that I finish to set up everything as you told me I have this error while the game is loading the "Town" scene:
    "
    MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Transform.SetPositionAndRotation'.
    "
    and my egg doesn't do any animation. It just does the Idle animation all the time, even when I walking. How can I do to fix the problem?
    Many thanks beforehand.

8. Borunor

Borunor

Also, and I don't know if it's normal. WASD doesn't work at all. I have to use the arrow keys to let the egg move.

9. reocwolf

reocwolf

What does "Inventory Individual" mean? Can we use our ready made UI prefabs and tell what we want ch element to do?

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

Release notes says it requires Unity 5.6

11. Borunor

Borunor

Right, thanks! I just saw a release note for the last version 2.11.2 but didn't check for the previous version. I think I'll need a 2.11.0 then.
    Thanks!

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.12.0 is here!
    This massive update brings new UI features, updates for controls, the battle camera, new grid highlights and lots of new event nodes, and many other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for all details.

The update is already available in the Unity Asset Store and has been sent out to customers.

@Borunor
    You should get the last version compatible with your Unity version (for Unity 5.5 that's ORK 2.11.0) automatically when downloading it in the Asset Store. If not, contact me at contact@orkframework.com with your order number and I can send you ORK 2.11.0.

@reocwolf
    This means setting the inventory mode to Individual instead of using Group inventory. Individual inventories mean that each combatant has its own inventory, while group inventory means they share an inventory in their group.

nixter and AGregori like this.
  13. MrIconic

MrIconic

I struggle to comprehend some of the internal UI. After going back and forth between menus trying to piece together where and how to accomplish certain things I noticed something.

When I click a menu option (for example, status), the left bar is a lot of "things" stacked together. I wanted to post a feature request that will maybe guide the eye more effectively.

Note: This probably would help less once someone learns the asset menus. However, being new has it feeling unnecessarily overwhelming.

Feature Request:
    And/or
    A) A space between alike sub-menu choices.
    example1.png
    Vs. the current
    example1b.png

[Perhaps if you're changing the UI in Ork 3.0]
    B) Have a sub-menu underneath the top bar with sub-titles.
    example2.png Example:
    => Click on "Combatants"
    => These appear in the black box area. [ Factions ] [ Classes ] [ NPC ] [ Loot ] [ Research ]
    => Click on "Factions"
    => Left bar from (A) becomes:
    [ Factions ]
    [ Faction Benefits ]
    [ Faction Sympathy ]

14. AGregori

AGregori

@Blueberry, I'm an ORK user since '14, and I approve these usability changes, I'd like to see them too. :)

15. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.13.0 is here!
    New prefab view portraits, visually mark new content in menus (e.g. newly collected items), updates to control maps, the battle AI and many other new features, changes and fixes.
    See all changes in the release notes.

Learn more about prefab view portraits in this how-to.
    As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

@Blueberry
    I'll look into this for future updates, but probably not before ORK 3 :)

AGregori likes this.
  16. MrIconic

MrIconic

No worries. I appreciate that you'd even consider it.

Best of luck with Ork 3 when you begin its development.

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.13.1 is here!
    This is only a small update with some new features, changes and fixes.

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

Unity 2017.1 support will follow soon in ORK 2.13.2!

TeagansDad and AGregori like this.
  18. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

hmm long time no real progress in the asset. Do you working on a ORK 3.0 or is EOL reached?

19. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Devision4
    There have been 3 major releases with tons of new features in the last 3 months, and several more before that.
    What kind of progress are you expecting?

TeagansDad likes this.
  20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Sorry I might missed them. Is there a new feature video or a list?

21. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

There are literally three posts announcing major ORK releases -- with links to the release notes -- on this exact same page.

Acissathar and pushingpandas like this.
  22. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.13.2 is here!
    This update only brings compatibility to Unity 2017.1.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.
    Please note that ORK Framework now requires Unity 2017.1 and all plugins have been updated.

Bhanshee00 and ayk like this.
  23. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Hi

Some questions on the Ork Framework.

Is real time hack n slash possible and well supported? Is there an example of this on youtube or elsewhere I can have a look at? A lot of the original links go to a Whooops! error page

How are projectiles handled, say from a bow and arrow?
    Can Ork framework and Playmaker be combined. I mean if for instance I want to give certain objects states, can I hook up a Playmaker event to do this and run it with Ork? What if it's a quest and say it opens a door. Can that info be fed back to Ork if I use Playmaker with it?

Finally, how does Makinom feed into ORK toolkit?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  24. C_p_H

C_p_H

Hello, I'm trying out ORK Framework myself & couldn't resist attempting to answer your questions for the sake of refreshing my own memory and workflow. I'm sure more experienced users will provide you with more deeper details following this reply so for now I hope you'll find this info helpful in the meantime.

• ORK Framework; "Real time battles can be set up in different ways to achieve the gameplay style you want – e.g. menu driven, hack’n’slash, using skillbars or a combination of various methods.
    Also, real time battles can happen in 2 ways, either in a defined battle arena using the Battle component (like the other battle systems), or in a Real Time Battle Area, taking place in a defined area or the whole scene."

Try it in the Free Trial download http://orkframework.com/download/.

• Projectiles are handled through Events and Interactions attached to your player/prefab, although PlayMaker works great within the same scene and is very complimentary with ORK Framework I'd highly suggest you tryout Makinom http://makinom.com/download/, for a more seamless integration with ORK Framework using Makinom's Schematics yields a better bridge to free up PlayMaker for various other task IMHO, else you'll probably struggle utilizing custom nodes (e.g. Get/Set) with PlayMaker/ORK to properly communicate your actions within the scene, but just keep in mind that any given variable component between the two can share data back & forth, just not as smoothly as Makinom/ORK can.

• Makinom communications with ORK Framework can be better performed with the ORK-Makinom Connection Plugin among other ways.

Havok_ZA likes this.
  25. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.14.0 is here!
    New action combo feature, updates to the battle system (e.g. action time), grid battles (e.g. diagonal movement on square grids), console system (e.g. optional console per combatant), HUDs and many other new features, changes and fixes.

Also, the update is available for both Unity 5.6 and 2017.1 - you should get the correct version for your Unity version when downloading it in the Asset Store.

As usual, the update is already available in the Asset Store and has been sent out to customers.

AGregori likes this.
  26. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.14.1 is here!
    This small update brings some new features and important fixes.

This update is available for both Unity 5.6 and 2017.1+ and is already available in the Asset Store!

27. Nadan

Nadan

Hi!

I purchased ORK some time ago and I'm finally going to learn to use it too. However I would like to use Cinemachines virtual cameras ( https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79898 ) in my game. How can I "replace" the ORK camera system to follow my player?

28. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Check out the tutorials his website. There is one for using custom cameras. There's also one for using custom character controllers. Lots of great stuff in the tutorials to help you along.

Nadan likes this.
  29. gamingislove

gamingislove

Check out this how-to on using custom controls. In short, you set ORK's camera control to None (in Base/Control > Game Controls) and let ORK know which camera control script is used in case ORK should disable something when blocking camera controls.

You can also have some control over the virtual cameras using ORK's event system by simply enabling/disabling them (either their game objects or just the component). This can be used to e.g. change which Cinemachine camera perspective to use in dialogues or cut-scenes set up with ORK's event system.

Nadan likes this.
  30. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.14.2 is here!
    This update brings the new global volume, equipment events, updates to shops, menu screens and HUDs, and other new features, changes and fixes!

The update is available for both Unity 5.6+ and Unity 2017.1+ and is already available in the Asset Store.

If you're enjoying the free updates, tutorials and support I provide, please consider supporting me on patreon.com - every little bit helps!

AGregori likes this.
  31. David5988

David5988

It's possible to make it compatible with UWP? I'm a windows developer and I would like to port my projects to Windows Store and Xbox One (since now Xbox is UWP compatible).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

32. jerotas

jerotas

Hi, a user asked me if we could do Pool Boss integration for ORK so that it would be usable on mobile devices (Instantiate and Destroy makes things lag). We don't own a copy.

If you have time, we could assist via email if you could do the integration. Or you could send us a voucher for ORK and we'll look into it.

Let me know!

33. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sure, send me an email to contact@orkframework.com - it's probably needed that I do the integration, since spawning/destroying would have to be changed in ORK's code.

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.14.3 is here!
    This update new settings to replace standard Unity functionality (e.g. game object instantiation), updates to the battle AI, grid battles, HUDs and other new features, changes and fixes.

The update is already available in the Asset Store and has been sent out to customers.

C_p_H and AGregori like this.
  35. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.14.4 is here!
    This update is a quick fix for an issue related to combatant spawning.

The update is already available in the Asset Store and has been sent out to customers.

36. gamingislove

gamingislove

New Wrapper Scripts Available
    Add 3rd party object pooling to ORK Framework with these new scripts.

TeagansDad and AGregori like this.
  37. Ttravi

Ttravi

Good afternoon. Do your framework support 2D games?

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yes, since ORK is mainly an RPG background system, it doesn't really care if you're making a 2D or 3D game.
    While the game tutorials are focused on a 3D game, most of it can also be applied to a 2D game.
    You can learn more about 2D games with ORK in this how-to.

Ttravi likes this.
  39. Ttravi

Ttravi

You guys are awesome <3

40. tetetete

tetetete

How is ork saving items and rest of the data? Does it use database or json file? If it uses database can anyone say something about it?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  41. Rusted_Games

Rusted_Games

It saves data as XML wrapped inside an scriptableobject, you can choose to encrypt it or leave it plain.

42. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.15.0 is here!
    This massive update brings the new grid formation feature, combatant triggers, updates to the battle AI, battle systems, HUDs and many other new features, changes and fixes.

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and should be available in the Asset Store shortly.

43. jGate99

jGate99

@gamingislove

Hi there,

I'm a developer and quite good at editor programming myself and going to build a Questland inspired game (2D)

So my question is can i as a developer who prefer code over Drag n Drop make use of your amazing framework?

Theoretically, i'd create the UI using Unity new UI and related plugins without using your editor, then i'd prefer creating dialogs dynamically getting from xml and provide to your database avoiding the manual entering via some exposed properties/functions from your framework. In short, i want to use your framework for all the amazing RPG related things but as im a developer so want to avoid all the Drag n drop stuff.

Another requirement is, i want to use speciaized plugins for specialized tasks such as i want to use i2 Localization for localization. and Quest Machine for quests and Dialog System for dialogs.

So something like this is achievable?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  44. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sure - while ORK offers a lot of system, there's no requirement to use them. E.g. if you want to use a custom quest, dialogue, UI or battle system, you're able to do so and just ignore ORK's systems.

Naturally, some use cases will require you to write some custom code, e.g. to access ORK information (showing a combatant's stats in your custom UI) or changing some ORK data (e.g. adding an item to the player's inventory after finishing a quest).

45. jGate99

jGate99

I'd prefer writing code actually as its faster for me.

Second questions is (maybe sound stupid), support ? if we decide to go with ORK can we expect support? as we will b asking a lots of questions such from external UI to integrating external systems. We dont want you to write custom code for us as we understand the importance of your own time, but we expect guidance in the right direction.

Another question is, current documention i found on site is mostly How tos, and for somone very new its bit intimating. So is there a step by step documentation other than How Tos?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  46. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yes - I'm somewhat famous for my good support :)
    I'd recommend going to the ORK support community for support, beside myself, there are a lot of very helpful ORK users there that can help you. In case you have questions you don't want be public, you can also contact me via email (contact@orkframework.com).

jGate99 likes this.
  47. jGate99

jGate99

Thank you very much

48. TonyLi

TonyLi

Support for Quest Machine and the Dialogue System for Unity will be through Pixel Crushers (me) of course. The official Quest Machine integration for ORK should be live on the Asset Store today or tomorrow in Quest Machine 1.0.4.

jGate99 likes this.
  49. TonyLi

TonyLi

^ Quest Machine 1.0.4 is now available on the Asset Store! :)

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.15.1 is here!
    This small update adds grid formation nodes for formulas and some other small new features, changes and fixes.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Asset Store.