Search Unity

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Tryz

Tryz

That would be perfect! I'll ask some users to try that. Thank ;)

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.6.0 is here
    This update brings a new queued notification dialogue type, reorganized event/formula/battle AI steps, massive performance improvements and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes for details.

As usual, the new version has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

@drewradley
    The NavMesh thing isn't really an error, just a warning :)
    Will see that I check if the agent is active or not (if that's even possible) before trying to stop it.

@Tryz
    Awake and Start should be called by Unity regardless of if the game object is already in the scene or instantiated from a prefab. There's also no way for ORK to prevent Unity calling them :)

Tryz likes this.
  3. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.6.1 is here
    This update brings important fixes for issues with the new UI, one new event step and other fixes.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  4. AlaskanDruid

AlaskanDruid

When do customers get the asset sent? I haven't seen any updates since my purchase on November 3rd.

Thanks for the hard work on this asset. It is tremendous :)

~Shann

5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Did you register as a customer on his website? You'll need to do that in order to get early access. Not that you will really need it as it seem Unity has been good for approving asset store submission for GiL pretty quickly. I've already received the update via the asset store. Has been that way past couple updates it seems. :)

6. AlaskanDruid

AlaskanDruid

That might be it. I don't think I have registered a a customer on his site :) Thank you for the tip!

~Shann

7. gamingislove

gamingislove

@ShannaraAK
    If you bought it in the asset store, you can download the new version there. If you bought it in my webshop, you should already have received an email with the update - if not, please send me an email with your order number to contact@orkframework.com.

8. Catacomber

Catacomber

@ Tryz-- I think gamingislove is open to extensions to ORK. Tanohmz just recently published Playmaker actions for ORK with Gil's blessing. Maybe you should buy a copy of ORK so you can look at the code.

9. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.6.2 is here
    This update brings an important fix for ORK components marking the scene as changed, new HUD features and and other fixes.

The update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

10. Rusted_Games

Rusted_Games

I have created this little poll thingy to get feedback and see if this something the ORK community will find useful.

strawpoll.me/6480961

Examples:
    FPS Starterkit with UFPS
    2D RPG Starterkit
    Diablo like game Starterkit

11. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.6.3 is here
    This update brings the new Actions Per Turn feature in turn based and phase battles, new Status Value Types, saving custom component data and lots of other new features, changes and fixes.

For an example use of the new Actions Per Turn feature, check out this gameplay tutorial.
    For an example implementation of the IComponentSaveData interface, see this scripting how-to.

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and is available in the Unity Asset Store.

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

Here's a new gameplay tutorial about using the nearest battle game object for unplaced battles. When using Random Battle Areas or Combatant Spawners, it can happen that a battle is badly placed (e.g. with things blocking the way) - this can be prevented by predefining battle positions to be used.

13. Catacomber

Catacomber

In case some of you weren't aware-the group buy proposal for the turn-based, grid-based ORK addition succeeded. We got a big mystery contributor who pushed us to tilt in the Tilt--read back if you have no idea what I'm talking about or click on the link below. We're all very excited. It's a great addition to ORK. I think Gil is excited too. WE DID IT! The power of crowd funding from the best crowd ever! For a useful addition to one of the best products ever.

If you own ORK and you didn't contribute, you're going to get this fantastic add on for free.

That's right---for free. However, if you don't feel comfortable with getting this wonderful addition for absolutely free------

If you'd like to help Kirb clean up some of the costs and fees involved in doing the transaction like conversion fees from USD to Euros (I think) some of us did--you can still contribute here---every little bit helps. Even $10 helps. Thanks if you can. I don't think he anticipated that because it was a new thing to all of us and I wouldn't want him to have to take anything out of his own pocket after all the work he did and after his own contribution.

https://www.tilt.com/tilts/grid-battle-system-for-the-ork-framework

As Kirb says there "This collection is for the commission and implementation of a grid-based battle system à la Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, and Fallout in ORK, an already immensely robust RPG framework for the Unity Engine."

We did it!

And this is why a few of us threw in some more of our USD's and EURO's--if you have a few to contribute, please do.

Kirb said, "The exchange rate between USD and Euro has changed a bit, actually resulting in a slightly more expensive target, but I will try to meet that target myself. I'll let everyone know once I've sent the payment over to GiL!"

We don't want Kirb to have to meet that target himself. If you can help with even $10 hopefully Euros, please do. : D

I think the cheapest kit for grid-based battle on the asset store is no where near $10--correct me if I'm wrong---so if you own ORK and want to help out a little now that we got this---

that would be great and would undoubtedly make you feel really good.

And if you don't own ORK, well this is a good reason to get it. We are so thrilled-in case you couldn't tell.

You can follow our ups and downs and final thrill here--we still don't know who our mysterious benefactor is who had a lot of bucks to contribute but if it's you---THANK YOU!

http://forum.orkframework.com/discu...attle-system-thread-group-buy-proposal#latest

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    TeagansDad likes this.
  14. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.7.0 is here!
    This major update brings the powerful new Selected Data feature in the event system and formulas, local variables in formulas, automatic move to interaction, scene object mouse cursor changes, lots of new event steps and many other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for all details.

Check out this how-to to learn more about the new Selected Data feature, or check out this gameplay tutorial for a use case example.

As usual, the update has been sent out to customers and is already available in the Unity Asset Store.

TeagansDad, red2blue and drewradley like this.
  15. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

I wanted to ask about Playmaker integration, but I saw Makinom option. I am no coder - do you think that Makinom can be interchangeable with Playmaker as a visual coding tool?

16. Arganth

Arganth

There is also this:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51317

but i dont now its any good.
    I dont use playmaker

17. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

18. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

What about perks? Is it possible to have perks in ORK? I am not thinking about status/abilities modofication, but separate menu with abilities like weapon dual-wielding or night vision. How to achieve this?

19. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.7.1 is here!
    This update brings improvements for HUDs and menu screens, and other small features, changes and fixes.
    See all details in the release notes.

@jeremiasz
    Perks would usually be set up as passive abilities (i.e. set Usable In to None in the ability's settings) - you can use ability types to have them in separate menu screens.

TeagansDad likes this.
  20. nproject

nproject

Hi @gamingislove,
    Can I create 2D topdown game with ORK? How ORK handle 2D games?
    I want to create game like Hyper Light Drifter or Fara & The Eye of Darkness
    Is there any tutorial to create 2D?

Thanks

21. Catacomber

Catacomber

ORK handles 2D very well. Look at Kirb's game showcased in the ORK Framework website.

22. nproject

nproject

Is there any tutorial to create 2D ?

23. gamingislove

gamingislove

Since ORK is an RPG framework, it doesn't really matter if it's 3D or 2D. In both cases you'll just use prefabs (being 3D models or 2D sprites). Depending on the gamplay style you're aiming for, you'll need custom player/camera controls (but that's also valid for 2D and 3D).
    You need to watch out when moving 2D objects around (e.g. using ORK's event system), especially when rotating them :)

24. Muralidaran

Muralidaran

Hello. I just picked up ORK and am having a problem on import. I am using ORK 2.7.1 and Unity 5.3.4f1. On import I get the following error:

Package does not contain valid asset for: Assets/ORK Framework/DLL/Editor/ORKFrameworkEditor.dll

And idea what's causing it or how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Mura

25. Catacomber

Catacomber

Create a fresh project and import the ORK prefab. Make sure it's the prefab you're importing. Open the ORK Framework editor. Go to any tab and hit save. So you're initializing ORK. Save your project. Does that get rid of the error message?

26. Muralidaran

Muralidaran

So I did a test because I was following the install tutorial. When I use the free limited version you can download from the website everything works great. But when I use the package I download from the asset store I am still getting the error:

Package does not contain valid asset for: Assets/ORK Framework/DLL/Editor/ORKFrameworkEditor.dll

I even tried starting with the free version and updating to the paid version and still receiving the error.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Mura

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  27. drewradley

drewradley

I'm trying to add an item to the inventory in code and am having trouble understanding how the IShortcuts work. Could you give me an example of adding an item in code? Thanks!

28. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.7.2 is here

While the development of the new grid battle system is progressing, this small update will bring some new features and a lot of fixes.
    See the release notes for details.

red2blue likes this.
  29. drewradley

drewradley

30. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

That's awesome, @drewradley. I added your game to my watch list. :)

drewradley likes this.
  31. gamingislove

gamingislove

32. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks!
    I know. I'm so excited!

33. Catacomber

Catacomber

Congratulations!

drewradley likes this.
  34. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

So I read this...

• 4 different battle systems (Turn Based, Active Time, Real Time and Phase battles), all 4 systems can be used in the same game, you can even change the system type while in battle.
    But other than "Turn Based" I have no idea what that means. This does not allow you to create an action RPG? Is that what I am reading? Thanks.

35. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@EvilGremlin: Yes you absolutely can create an action RPG with ORK. That would be the Real Time battle system. The tutorial series walks you through how to set up a basic real time combat system.

Phase battles are when each side takes turns. Active time battles are what you had in SNES and PlayStation era Final Fantasy games.

Depending on what sort of action RPG you want to make, you may want to pair ORK with a more advanced character controller like Opsive's Third Person Controller or ootii's Motion Controller.

BackwoodsGaming and EvilGremlin like this.
  36. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Okay, thank you for that clarification. I was actually thinking of using MC. But what I am making is more along the lines of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. So kind of an action game/rpg/shooter? I have a lot of options as to what direction to take that. I'm just trying to hammer out what of my many options is going to give me the best game.

BackwoodsGaming and TeagansDad like this.
  37. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Hey, I finished my long list of Unity tutorials (only took a couple months, there are so many). And I am just now playing around with the free ORK and going through tutorials. I have a quick question.

I see that it is pretty easy to replace the camera and controller in ORK. (Which is very cool btw.) And it supports a full party system. (Also very cool.) Does that mean I could use a character selector like Isometrium simply by replacing the camera and controller?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34996

38. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@EvilGremlin:

In theory, yes. I've replaced ORK's controller and camera with Opsive's TPC (controller & camera) and with ootii's Motion Controller and Camera & Adventure Rig. I've also done a setup with Motion Controller as the player controller and PhatRobit's Simple RPG Camera as the camera. In some cases you need to write a small "bridge" component that will block the player or camera controller from responding to input when an ORK event blocks player or camera controls. Nothing too complicated though.

I can't tell if Isometrium includes some sort of character controller that actually moves and animates the character; looking over the docs I would say that it doesn't. You might run into problems when it comes to clicking on objects to interact with, as ORK has its own way of handling that, so you'd probably want to use Isometrium for selecting charcters & formations and selecting a destination to move to, but let ORK handle interacting with objects.

Isometrium's camera system looks like it should hook up to ORK without any major problems.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  39. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Okay, that's kind of what I thought. Thanks for the reply.

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.8.0 is finally here!
    This massive update brings grid battles to all 4 battle systems, adds new range templates for use/affect ranges, updates the battle AI and many other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for details.

Learn more about grid battles in this how-to, or go through this 10 part gameplay tutorial series about setting up grid battles.

The update is already available in the Unity Asset Store and has been sent out to customers.

41. drewradley

drewradley

That is awesome!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  42. drewradley

drewradley

Is there currently any way to check line of sight in the new grid system? So if there is a blocked tile between user and target, something happens if they attack through it? Or even just prevents the attack? Thanks! (also asked on the ORK Forum)

43. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.9.0 is here!
    This massive updates brings the new research tree feature, shops selling combatants, grid line of sight, updates to status effects, the top down border camera controls, and lots of other new features, changes and fixes!

Ony, TonyLi, nixter and 2 others like this.
  44. drewradley

drewradley

Wow! Those are some awesome changes! Thanks! I am so glad you have been keeping up with this for all these years. I can't even tell you the number of assets I bought that were abandoned by the creator while not quite there...

45. nixter

nixter

ORK continues to be an amazing framework. The support is fantastic.

Ony likes this.
  46. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.9.1 is here!
    This small update brings compatibility to Unity 5.5 and some fixes. Please note that Unity 5.5 is now required!

As usual, the update has already been sent out to customers and should be available in the Asset Store shortly (you'll need Unity 5.5 to get it).

Out of Office
    I'll be out of office from later today till next Monday, i.e. back in office on December 13.
    There'll be no support during that time, so if you need help, just drop by the support forum - there are a lot of helpful people there .)

Ony likes this.
  47. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.10.0 is here!
    This big update brings a new equipable AI system (AI behaviours and AI rulesets), a big update to the move AI and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes for all details.

Ony, AGregori, red2blue and 2 others like this.
  48. arnesso

arnesso

Hi,
    I would ask about Opsive's thrid person control integration.
    Is it possible to use ORK's skill system, level up, shop system use with TPC , but only use these features of ORK?

I would not like to make turned base battle, I would like RPG with TPC shooter with my own AI.. For example : Division, SWTOR ( just example for combat type).
    Thank you :)

49. AGregori

AGregori

I'm not sure if I get this. I've purchased ORK years ago, though never received a mail, let alone a new version automatically. Who do qualify as customers? :)

50. drewradley

drewradley

How's your code skills? You'll need to dig into the code and make a lot of edits to make it work. I managed to get a previous version of Opsive's TPC with ORK but the latest version is giving me trouble. Can't seem to get the camera to recenter on the player.

Opsive and ORK: