Search Unity

Origami Nation Online, The Free-Roam Paper Game (WIP)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by toby90, Dec 9, 2010.

1. toby90

toby90

Origami Nation Online
    The free-roam social paper game

alunagames.com
    origaminationonline.com
    origaminationonline.tumblr.com
    @alunagames
    @origamination

Just thought we'd share some news of our Unity game - Origami Nation Online. We're quite a small team, only four people have worked on the project and one point or another in the past few months. Please read on to find out more about the project, and we hope to keep you informed in this thread!

Origami Nation is going to be a social, free-roam MMO game, where you can chat with other players in a paper themed world. There will be a variety of games to play - from racing to fighting, all with a cartoon feel! Our aim is to make a totally clean game, void of violence and language, and still make a fun and addicting game to play. All warfare will revolve around cartoony game-play. Instead of real weapons, you’ll see paper weapons, ink guns, and other fun desktop weapons.

The game is being developed in Unity 3D and Blender. It started out in 2009, by Remi and padawan96, siblings, totally in Blender, but they called a quits because of lack of time. In early 2010 Craig approached Remi with hopes to revive the project, and turn it into a multiplayer game. Toby, from Aluna Games is helping to fund the project. Mike also joined the team, a talented graphic designer.

Where we are, and plans for the future
    Over the past three months (with radical development, and lots of coffee), we have managed to release two successful alphas of Origami Nation, Alpha 1, and Alpha 2, both of which are single player. Currently, time is being put toward our first fully-fledged episode to the game; Origami: Invasion of the Ink Men. This will be a survival-type game, featuring many waves of pouncing ink-men, in a dark and sinister night city; while you're all alone. We will begin on multiplayer development once the minigames and combat arenas are complete, to finish off the multiplayer paper world; Fold City - which will be developed and published last. Origami Nation Online will run completely from within your browser, using Unity Web Player. You can play the alpha at our site free, origaminationonline.com

Thanks! Feedback would be much appreciated! :)

Our Design Team
    Remi ... Modeling, Animations, and most things Unity!
    Craig ... World design and map placement
    Toby ... Publisher, Funder, and just fillin' in all the nooks and crannies.

Screenshots

(The screenshots below were all taken during development stages. I will try and post some updated ones as soon as I can, that look more interesting and intriguing!)

Survival Mode (uncomplete - under development):

Alpha

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. tatelax

tatelax

I actually like this a lot. Making textures must be easy :)

Really neat concept and I am excited to see where this goes.

3. Rewii93

Rewii93

Thanks tatelax. Textures are simple to make but not as easy as you could think, since all the hundreds of textures are hand drawn, photographed, and edited, before we can use them in game, it's quite a long process. The game doesn't quite has the expected sketchy look, but it still looks fine imo.

Comments are very appreciated and will help the future development of our game,
    Rémi

4. ChimpKing

ChimpKing

It's too hard. Got flanked on both sides in a flash :( Maybe just one side. Annoying to have to keep turning around. Or at least have them alternate sides every wave.

5. toby90

toby90

Hi ChimpKing, haha, yeah, I found it quite hard myself right when I started. :) I think the best tip is to just take it slow at the start and keep running backwards as the ink men are pouncing at you. You should try using the rifle (press 2 on your keyboard), which kills them with one shot!

6. ChimpKing

ChimpKing

Also, you should make the player be able to set up turrets and defense. Ex: Barricades, turrets, barrels (to explode), and mines.

7. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

It is quite hard, but I beat the game. Now it's too easy! Someone posted a guide on youtube how to beat it. :)

@Chimp we hope to set up some nuclear barrels you can explode, to make the game more fun and exciting. But good ideas, thanks!

8. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

Progress coming along good, more screenshots.

9. toby90

toby90

10. toby90

toby90

11. 3dDude

3dDude

OK the first thing I would say is looks great!!! the ONLY thing I would change are the particle effects... They don't follow the style that you are aiming for.. the other thing is that the guns should have recoil, they are pretty static right now.

Nice job!

12. toby90

toby90

Thanks for the feedback 3dDude, I'll be sure to forward that on. :)

13. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

I think the guns got recoil in the new update :) (not sure myself)

14. Ratchet

Ratchet

Try to add basic gradients for textures !
    And with colors, why keeping all white color ?

For the moment its looks like old graphics, i don't see the paper effect !

Be inspired :

Don't take it bad and it's just my personnal point of view to improve your game perhaps :
    I think, you really need to work on colors and paper effects.
    For the moment it looks lot more like fast made polygons and dirty simple textures.
    Same thing , i think effects are alphas stage ? caus for the moment they don't match on the game, and they
    would need lot more work for weapons !

Bring lot more work on it :)

15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I like your graphics style, personally...but the "sketch" styles shown above would really make the game more effective visually. Darn good artists...

The monsters do need to be weakened, however, if one catches up to you, it's instadeath, which is no fun. Instead, make monsters have varying levels of strength and resilience - some monsters should hit like little girls and be dispatched with an Assault Rifle round or two. Other monsters should require an OCRAP session with hitting 4 then spamming left-mouse (which is what I wound up doing.)

16. toby90

toby90

@Ratchet - Graphics should be greatly enhanced in the upcoming version, but thanks for the constructive criticism, will definitely see what we can do about that. :)

@Asvarduil - Thanks for the feedback! That's a great suggestion and I'll be sure to forward that onto the devs.

17. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Oh no problem, thank you for the good game!

But one expansion on my suggestion - it also needs to be possible to tell which monsters are weak or strong. How you choose to do it is up to you, but make sure people can tell what is what!

18. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

@Ratchet thanks for the inspiration, none of us had ever seen a paper game before/when we started. And we added color to everything now, which looks much better. Thanks for feedback.

@Asvarduil Thanks, in the new version monsters are slower, weaker, and the user controls are much improved. And thanks for feedback, we would have added multiple monsters with different speed/armor but didn't have the time.

So for now, the game is as-is with Remi at film school and me venturing into film-making. The game will be updated but neither of us can put as much work into it as we did in the past.

19. Ratchet

Ratchet

Don't hesitate to experiment on grahics, and try different style of details like big outiline drawn on textures mixed with thin ones etc ...

another screen of another cool game : but it looks lot less paper this time :

It's the game : The Blob 2 ! cool style also :)

Find how to make your game looks great with a good style !
    We should not think in terms of polyons only when looking at it , but instead find graphics
    fun and cool that invite us to play !

Keep up working on visuals before going lot more far.

Don't hesitate to post pictures for your style studies ! People here will help yu improve your visual style i'm sure :)

20. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

Thanks a lot!