Search Unity

Bug Orientation is off when re-centering on Oculus Quest after teleporting the player.

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by rytalfo, Sep 24, 2020.

1. rytalfo

rytalfo

I am using the XR Interaction Toolkit with the Oculus Plugin in Unity 2019.4, building to the Oculus Quest.

To teleport the player, I use:

XRRig.MoveCameraToWorldLocation(Vector3 desiredWorldLocation) to set their position, and

XRRig.MatchRigUpCameraForward(Vector3 destinationUp, Vector3 destinationForward) to set their rotation

This works all well and good. However, if the player attempts to re-center themselves by simultaneously holding the oculus button and the menu button, their position is indeed re-centered on the last teleportation position (which is what I expect), but the orientation (rotation) is off 100% of the time. The player always seems to be rotated ~100 degrees to the left of the intended forward vector. Repeated re-centers afterward do not add additional rotation but continue to reset to this incorrect orientation, instead of matching the up and forward vectors specified in the function.

A workaround might be:
    1.) figure out exactly how many degrees off a post-teleport re-centered pose is from the initial teleport pose
    2.) hard code this value and compensate for this upon teleporting
    3.) after teleporting, rotate the player back x degrees to face the intended direction, thereby fooling future re-centers into actually having the player face the intended direction.

Tomfoolery and trickery to be sure. Is there any way I can avoid writing this silly code? Am I missing something?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I teleport the player by simply assigning a new transform.position to the XRRig. Maybe you could try that rather than those XRRig calls above?

gjf likes this.
  3. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey there, after speaking to the team they'd like to see you report a bug report for this!

Going to move this to the XR Interaction Toolkit forum as well!