Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Organizing Scripts for Games with Many Scenes

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by acmshar, Sep 9, 2010.

1. acmshar

acmshar

In a few demos I've seen (official and unofficial), people tend to organize scripts and assets according to their functions and types. Ex: 3DPlatformTutorial from Unity has folders for Enemies, Models, Objects, Particles, etc. with scripts organized in a similar fashion (camera, enemies, GUI, etc.).

This works well for a large scene, but after importing a scene into that project (which is accessed as a follow on after the player completes the tutorial scene), I noticed things get a bit jumbled.

The game I am planning will be mostly a collection of mini games connected by a large scene (similar to the 3D Platforming Tutorial) so most of the scenes with be vastly different.

I am planning to just have a folder for each scene, with subfolders with structure similar to that of the platforming tutorial.

How do you handle organizing a large number of scripts and assets when some scenes are vastly different?

I wasn't sure if there was a better section for this since it also pertains to assets, etc., so please let me know if it belongs elsewhere.