Search Unity

Bug Organization role "User" does not have access to all organisation projects

Discussion in 'Unity Gaming Services General Discussion' started by thibouf, Aug 20, 2021.

1. thibouf

thibouf

When a member is added to the organization with "User" role, he does not have access to any project. The only way I have found is to go to each project to add the member . Which is quite a pain when we have a lot of projects ...
    The behavior is different for Managers that can access to all project immediately but have too much permission to be given to everyone.

There should be a way to quickly give access to all project (existing and future) to a member with the User role .

2. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Hey Thibouf and I am sorry to hear that you were having issues with giving access to your members. I fully empathize with the frustration.

Today there are two ways to assign users to your projects. On Unity Id and on Unity Dashboard. Organization wide permissions are currently managed on Unity Id where as project specific permissions are managed on Unity Dashboard. This is obviously less than optimal, but fixing this is on our radar.

If you want to give users access to all of the projects under an organization, the easiest way to do this is on Unity Id where you can open Members & Groups under your organization and invite people into your organization as user, manager, or owner (manager & owner for edit access). Link to Unity Id https://id.unity.com/en/organizations. One caveat here is that you will need to ask your users to logout and login on the dashboard for the organization to show up on the list of available organizations.

I am happy to let you know that we have a team working on making big improvements to the role and access controls. I cannot unfortunately say when these updates will be released, but alleviating customer pain here is at the top of our list of priorities.

Best regards and have a great weekend,
    Joona

3. thibouf

thibouf

Thank you for the answer, I am glad you are working to improve the experience.

However :
    That is the way I was doing it, but I as said in my previous post, this does not work if we add a member as user. (The member is not added to all projects, and we have to manually assign in every project) Your answer seems to prove that it is a bug ;-)

4. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

When you are referring to users not getting access, are you referring to the editor project / hub or the dashboard? These unfortunately work differently in regard to roles (which is something that we also plan on addressing).

5. thibouf

thibouf

I am referring the dashboard (for exemple to see Could Builds or Monetization).

When you go to Settings / Project Members , the member of the organization with the User role are not added automatically to the project. You have to add them manually.

6. Brian-3D

Brian-3D

Unity Technologies

Hi Thibouf, sorry for the confusion.There is some inconsistency in this area.

In Monetization a “user” in an org will have access to all project by default, in Cloud Build, a user with a “user” role will need to be added to the project explicitly.

We will be working to fix these inconsistencies.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

For security, only Manager or Owner can see monetization information or enable Unity services.

8. soleron

soleron

The permission setup of Unity is horrible.
    I have said that before and will say it again. Whoever decided this setup is clueless and has absolutely no idea how real world teams need to setup their Permissions. And I am not just saying that.

IF those who decided this role and privilege classification, had worked in a professional team before, they would have used any of the several other tools out there which offer infinitely better (and more importantly, secure) options. And that would give them an idea of what the requirements are.

Do the decent thing and allow us to create our own roles and permissions like any other professional service.

And whatever you plan for the future, make sure you ask some real ITSEC experts to advise you on that, because you are going to mess it up again.

9. alexsjostrom

alexsjostrom

Unity Technologies

Hello and thanks for your feedback. I work as a Product Manager on a team that is currently working on this. We understand your pain and are well aware that our current roles and permission system is not sufficient for our developers today. We also know that there are inconsistencies across Unity about how the existing roles are used. What we can say is that we are currently working on an improved role and permission system that will be rolled out throughout the year. This will include, among other things, more granular service and project specific add-on roles. We will also start the big effort of aligning the current roles usage across the different Unity services for a more consistent experience.

We are looking forward to hearing your feedback on the new system once it’s out.