Search Unity

Organization - Managing Seats and Purchased Assets

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rayD8, Jul 4, 2018.

1. rayD8

rayD8

I need help understanding how a company's Unity Organization is to purchase and manage assets from the Asset Store for the Organization's seats. The Organization Owner (the company) needs to be able to purchase assets for each of our Unity editor seats assigned to Managers and Users of the Organization (some offsite - so each member needs them).

The person set up as Owner does not use Unity.
    The person set up as Owner purchased the assets for the Organization.
    The editor seat was assigned to a User, and the purchased assets do not show up in editor under the My Assets tab.

From the UnityID portal where an Organization is managed: Is there a way to do this (assign editor assets seats to Unity editor seats)?

I've gotten an answer from a Unity Success Advisor (after 10 days) that simply said
    "The account who bought it can only download the assets."

The company needs to be able to purchase the assets. Not multiple people in the company, purchasing with individual Unity account logins. Further, that would mean they all have access to the financial info that being an Owner of a Unity organization protects.

What am I missing/misunderstanding?

Jon

fredrikcc likes this.
  2. Kansokusha

Kansokusha

Hey,

in case you are still looking for answers on this, I contacted support today and got things a little cleared out.
    It seems that there is now way for the assets to be assigned to seats via the Dashboard.

But, here's what the told me:
    and:
    So, I hope you can work with that...
    Cheers!

rayD8 likes this.
  3. hamerg

hamerg

This is poor. The buyer and dev are not necessarily the same person.

Sort it out, please!

4. Khash-Firestorm

Khash-Firestorm

Yes, this is terrible. My wife does shopping, she is an artist and uses most of what we buy, but I use other assets like Enhanced Console (for bugs tracking) and other technical related plugins which in most cases she would have hard time to even install in our project (especially when it comes to upgrade, as I customise them often as well and merge is complicated. Now I will need to buy those assets under my own account, which is super annoying as it makes a lot of mess.
    As an asset developer (we did number of asset store products as well ) I do not like one per person licence thing, as this only creates more confusion, and I bet that most of the people who buy our assets buy only 1 per team anyway as there is no reasonable form to enforce it AND that actually makes it way harder to price sensibly an asset.
    For example we have been selling an asset fro 75$ which seems cheap for a really good tool, but I cannot see friends in Russia or Poland buying 5 copies of it because there is 5 people in the team. I would be totally fine if there will be clear that each organisation using asset to produce project requires 1 licence to do so. There is enough organisations in the world to generate money if the asset is worth it. Even large companies when they work on larger projects wont buy hundred of copies to cover their whole team for every asset they need, they will buy one, and make someone remake it among their coders so that they are safe. Even though they operate with large numbers if you say you need 7500$ to get one more asset to the project you will bounce off management. If you say you need one copy (75$) to redo asset they say ok. And the only difference by the end of the day is that asset cannot be proud of being used in large title. And large companies are just margin of buyers, meaningless in grand scale of things ;)
    Unity make it simple. please :)

rayD8 likes this.
  5. dimib

dimib

Same problem for us here.

A lot of companies work this way, but the current solution makes it very uncomfortable to integrate assets by devs which do not have a company's account access. --> The same for updates of assets, very complicated!

It would be nice if Unity provides a way to assign assets to an organization and then let all assigned organization members access them for projects that belong to this organization.

I think most customers are companies and therefore would benefit from a better asset management.

@Unity: How can this feature request be pushed to your roadmap? ;) :rolleyes:

ArnoBen and rayD8 like this.
  6. SteveLeigh-readify

SteveLeigh-readify

Yeah, this is far from ideal. What about when I leave the company, will someone have to rebuy the asset in order to get updates? It seems like a poor way to manage these things.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Your company having you buy assets on your personal account instead of a company account seems to be the issue here.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. SteveLeigh-readify

SteveLeigh-readify

Absolutely keen to hear better ways of working, if you have suggestions.

To be clear, I'm not using my personal account - we each have company accounts, and we use these to buy the assets. If I moved companies, I wouldn't expect team mates to log in to my old account just to get an update - this feels like a pretty big hack, and not really scalable. Honestly, it'd be cheaper to just re-buy the assets as required than to organise old account access

Nearly everything else I work in has a concept of organisation ownership - the org gets a credit card attached to it, and you're done.

Is there something I'm missing workflow wise here? I don't see a solution that's not what I described above, or getting another seat for "unitystuff@companyname.com"