Search Unity

Organization - Managing Seats and Purchased Assets

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rayD8, Jul 4, 2018.

1. rayD8

rayD8

I need help understanding how a company's Unity Organization is to purchase and manage assets from the Asset Store for the Organization's seats. The Organization Owner (the company) needs to be able to purchase assets for each of our Unity editor seats assigned to Managers and Users of the Organization (some offsite - so each member needs them).

The person set up as Owner does not use Unity.
    The person set up as Owner purchased the assets for the Organization.
    The editor seat was assigned to a User, and the purchased assets do not show up in editor under the My Assets tab.

From the UnityID portal where an Organization is managed: Is there a way to do this (assign editor assets seats to Unity editor seats)?

I've gotten an answer from a Unity Success Advisor (after 10 days) that simply said
    "The account who bought it can only download the assets."

The company needs to be able to purchase the assets. Not multiple people in the company, purchasing with individual Unity account logins. Further, that would mean they all have access to the financial info that being an Owner of a Unity organization protects.

What am I missing/misunderstanding?

Jon

Arkade, NathanielAH and fredrikcc like this.
  2. Kansokusha

Kansokusha

Hey,

in case you are still looking for answers on this, I contacted support today and got things a little cleared out.
    It seems that there is now way for the assets to be assigned to seats via the Dashboard.

But, here's what the told me:
    and:
    So, I hope you can work with that...
    Cheers!

NathanielAH and rayD8 like this.
  3. hamerg

hamerg

This is poor. The buyer and dev are not necessarily the same person.

Sort it out, please!

4. Khash-Firestorm

Khash-Firestorm

Yes, this is terrible. My wife does shopping, she is an artist and uses most of what we buy, but I use other assets like Enhanced Console (for bugs tracking) and other technical related plugins which in most cases she would have hard time to even install in our project (especially when it comes to upgrade, as I customise them often as well and merge is complicated. Now I will need to buy those assets under my own account, which is super annoying as it makes a lot of mess.
    As an asset developer (we did number of asset store products as well ) I do not like one per person licence thing, as this only creates more confusion, and I bet that most of the people who buy our assets buy only 1 per team anyway as there is no reasonable form to enforce it AND that actually makes it way harder to price sensibly an asset.
    For example we have been selling an asset fro 75$ which seems cheap for a really good tool, but I cannot see friends in Russia or Poland buying 5 copies of it because there is 5 people in the team. I would be totally fine if there will be clear that each organisation using asset to produce project requires 1 licence to do so. There is enough organisations in the world to generate money if the asset is worth it. Even large companies when they work on larger projects wont buy hundred of copies to cover their whole team for every asset they need, they will buy one, and make someone remake it among their coders so that they are safe. Even though they operate with large numbers if you say you need 7500$ to get one more asset to the project you will bounce off management. If you say you need one copy (75$) to redo asset they say ok. And the only difference by the end of the day is that asset cannot be proud of being used in large title. And large companies are just margin of buyers, meaningless in grand scale of things ;)
    Unity make it simple. please :)

5. dimib

dimib

Same problem for us here.

A lot of companies work this way, but the current solution makes it very uncomfortable to integrate assets by devs which do not have a company's account access. --> The same for updates of assets, very complicated!

It would be nice if Unity provides a way to assign assets to an organization and then let all assigned organization members access them for projects that belong to this organization.

I think most customers are companies and therefore would benefit from a better asset management.

@Unity: How can this feature request be pushed to your roadmap? ;) :rolleyes:

6. SteveLeigh-telstrapurple

SteveLeigh-telstrapurple

Yeah, this is far from ideal. What about when I leave the company, will someone have to rebuy the asset in order to get updates? It seems like a poor way to manage these things.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Your company having you buy assets on your personal account instead of a company account seems to be the issue here.

visionnaireMedia and Ryiah like this.
  8. SteveLeigh-telstrapurple

SteveLeigh-telstrapurple

Absolutely keen to hear better ways of working, if you have suggestions.

To be clear, I'm not using my personal account - we each have company accounts, and we use these to buy the assets. If I moved companies, I wouldn't expect team mates to log in to my old account just to get an update - this feels like a pretty big hack, and not really scalable. Honestly, it'd be cheaper to just re-buy the assets as required than to organise old account access

Nearly everything else I work in has a concept of organisation ownership - the org gets a credit card attached to it, and you're done.

Is there something I'm missing workflow wise here? I don't see a solution that's not what I described above, or getting another seat for "unitystuff@companyname.com"

twhittaker likes this.
  9. malkere

malkere

I'm running into this right now... The agency I'm working with is under contract to destroy all of my data should our contract finish or end for any reason. I don't want to just zip the assets up and send them to them though... I'm thinking I'll create an account and give them the login/password, then take the account back in the event of us parting and just change the password.

Seems strange to legally require licenses with no tools or "proper" way to assign them.

Any updates/improvements from the posters in here?

LGW_The7thCrest likes this.
  10. cpoexperts

cpoexperts

How this could be possible, I am little bit in the confusion within the buyer and Dev.

11. IsDon

IsDon

Agreeing with the sentiment here: I constantly login as my "user" then switch to the organisation's "admin" account to download or purchase assets, then switch back to "user" once a project is setup how I'd like. There's definitely room to improve this.

I imagine all "seats" of an "organisation" account should have access to the downloads for that organisation. Given a "seat" can be granted to a personal account (I use it like this so forum access is continuous across work and personal usage) I imagine we need access to "organisation" assets as well as "personal", but its only a union of 2 sets, not a huge problem from the programming side.

C'mon Unity - show us some love on the Corporations setup?

12. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

...bump. I am confused and this is important

13. Wattosan

Wattosan

Any updates on this? @Unity

14. malkere

malkere

I ended up making a new account, and buying the licenses on that account. If my relations with the company I'm working with end, the account is still mine and I can just change the password, hand it to someone else if I need.

But that's a workaround. There needs to be an official, supported, workflow.

15. Zoccadoum

Zoccadoum

This seems like a huge gaping hole in the whole multi seat licensing for @Unity. We purchased multiple seats for UPro for our development team, then one of our designers purchased multiple seats for an asset (on their company account) that none of us have access to !?!?. Granted they can import it into their project, but if we ever want updates, or to use it in another project, we have to use that specific users account. Not a good design in my opinion, we did purchase multiple seats for that asset with the intent of distributing it to our developers.

However, I do believe I've found a work-around that at least will solve our immediate problem. Apparently, It is possible to copy a downloaded asset, save it to a source repository, then import it into unity from there. (see this article: https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/205756335-How-do-I-merge-accounts-) Not an ideal solution, but at least the money we spent isn't wasted.

Wattosan, IsDon and NathanielAH like this.
  16. NathanielAH

NathanielAH

Yeah. Their answer to this is horrible.

Example:
    1. I start using Unity personal, purchase assets; then,
    2. I eventually break the revenue thershold, so I upgrade to Plus; and,
    3. Because I'm making so much I start an actual business / LLC
      • If I set it up as a separate Organization, I can't transfer the licenses or manage them directly. This is crazy.

They should even look at recent European rulings regarding being able to resell licenses of games (https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/steam/149455-court-rules-on-steam-game-reselling), which are licensed products just like assets here.

Very poorly thought out on Unity's part.

17. mashianov

mashianov

Facing same issue.
    Started organization after few days of buying some assets and now i can't transfer assets to organization to assign seats from "personal" assets, even though organization ownership and my personal pickups were made from the same email

This is horrible, Unity!

18. Merlino

Merlino

Agree totally. Time to change this

19. a_vallberg

a_vallberg

In the seats management, there is a possiblity to share assets with your seats. I dont know if this is the way to go about sharing assets thought, we're testing it out. Not sure also about how the Licence types come into play here.

/Andreas
    eldergrounds.com

upload_2020-7-20_11-47-39.png

Arkade likes this.
  20. Wattosan

Wattosan

Interesting. I wonder if this is a recent feature. Thanks for sharing!

21. cybersoft

cybersoft

Thank you, I found it very useful!

I just don't understand why I see only assets bought in June and July 2020? I can't share the assets bought in 2019, what is this about? Is this being tested for now?

---Edit---

I think I understand what this is about. I have my first activation confirmation for Unity Personal from 2017. I didn't use Unity Hub at the time. I don't think it was even available and then I changed the computer.

I reactivated Unity Personal in 2018.
    Today I checked and I see Unity Hub:

Activation: 2018/01/09
    Last Update: 2020/08/02

But when I check in Unity ID -> My Account -> My Seats

Unity Personal
    Activation date: June 8,2020

This may be the reason why I can't share assets earlier than June 2020 to the organization. So why is the activation date not changed to 2018 when the Unity Hub clearly shows the date and year 2018?
    And it should be even 2017, then there was the first activation.

Maybe I need to give some data for the first activation when there was no Unity Hub. There are a link "search other licenses" and a serial key is required.

I remember that there was a serial number for the Unity Hub then, but I don't remember it, so I guess it remains to ask Unit Team directly how to resolve this.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  22. GrenadeTree

GrenadeTree

Has anyone figured this out yet? I bought several assets with the express purpose of sharing it with my team but I can't figure out how to share them for the life of me.

23. Wattosan

Wattosan

Download with account and distribute files to where you need them. That's the solution.

24. Schneider21

Schneider21

I mean, technically that's not really the proper way, since some assets have a license that requires purchasing a copy for each individual user on the team. If memory serves, this type of asset license is a relatively new occurrence, as before this year I don't think Unity had mutli-user licensing built into the Asset Store.

According to the EULA FAQ, assets of type "Editor Extension", "Scripting", and "Services" may be per-seat licenses. These assets should probably be kept outside your repositories, and installed by each user. Other purchased assets that are team-wide could be included and distributed.

I don't know how to set that up (which, reading between the lines, implies that nowhere I've worked, nobody I've worked with, nor have I myself properly managed these special license assets), and good luck getting any official clarity on the subject!

25. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

But doing it that way sounds like it would break references in your project to those assets. I'd just check them in to the main repo and deal with licensing outside of it. YMMV

26. Ganesh47

Ganesh47

please check this
    1) suppose i buy some assets from unity store from my account.
    2) later i want to start a game developing company.
    As owner of company, can i use same asset from my account for my own company.
    @Unity, please i need to clarify this before buying any assets.

altemuR likes this.
  27. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

This was unacceptable back when it was merely inconvenient. Now, I have to enter passwords on the website AND in the IDE to toggle between accounts. So... even more painful.

But wait! A bug in 2020.1.f1 is making it entirely impossible for me to access assets bought in one of my two accounts.

I have two accounts. I know both passwords. Is the reason you won't allow me to merge them simply that it is something you don't care to do?

Move your minds, Unity.

28. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Probably depends how your company is organized. A sole proprietorship for example, should be no issue. You start a corporation where you're just one of many shareholders, probably need a license to the asset in a corp account rather than your personal account. "Company" can mean a lot of different things. I Am Not A Lawyer

29. Pixel2015

Pixel2015

I was just about to ask how to move assets from Personal to the Organization and found this. I mean really? Unity this is such a huge issue and no one even responded I am kind of shocked.

30. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

Any updates here? Can anyone else than an Owner make purchases? It does look like the assignment process has been improved?

31. Haxel0rd

Haxel0rd

Same issue here, @Unity why no response? Look into this please!!
    The whole point of organisation based management is useless if you can not
    assign assets bought with the master account, to specific emploeyee roles.

32. daville

daville

Lucas_Gaspar likes this.
  33. CryptoWorld

CryptoWorld

@Unity are you going to help us or not?

34. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not quite my area but I'll jump in. Does the post right above yours help?

35. Ma_Pi

Ma_Pi

Hello, i managed to create an organization with 3 owners, but for some reason under "MyOrganization > asset management" i see only the assets i personally purchased, while the assets purchased by the other two owners don't appear in the list. The other owners also see only my assets in the list. Is this the intended behavior?
    We need to have a single organization asset list with all our assets purchased by the 3 accounts.

36. DarthModulus2

DarthModulus2

I've been looking all over Google but can't figure it out: a colleague has added me as the User in his organization, but I don't have access to the assets he needs to share with me so that I can complete the work. What should I do?

37. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So the link above regarding assigning seats to share assets did not work for you?