Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Organising unity project? Prototype folders and full development folders?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tset_Tsyung, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

Hey all,

I've been working on concepts and tech ideas for my next game and have kept art related assets under Assets/Concept&Prototyping to keep it at least partially separate from the next stage of development.

I'm soon moving on from the concept and prototyping stage, but I'm wondering what to do with the concept stuff that I was hacking around with (Some real ugly art and scripting there).

Are any if the following advisable? What do you do?
    1. Backup up the Concept&Prototyping folder and then delete it from the project.
    2. Make a whole new project and keep them separate?
    3. Somehow mark off the folder so the editor doesn bother to compile anything from Concept&Prototyping ir add it to the main builds?
    4. SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT?
    Thankfully I still have some more to do in the concept and prototyping stage, but I researching as much as I can to do with design, best practices and more advanced coding ideas to make sure that I'm always moving forward in learning to become a little more professional.

Many thanks, look forward to hearing from you all.

Mike.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The compiler already refrains from re-compiling anything that doesn't need recompiled; and the build process strips out any assets that aren't needed given the scene(s) selected in the Build window. So, you can basically not worry about it.

However if having that stuff come up in search results, etc., is causing you grief, then get rid of it (probably via idea 1 above).

Tset_Tsyung likes this.
  3. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

Hi Joe,

Many thanks Joe, glad to have that information - it's much appreciated, as always!

Will just have to make sure that I rename all my prototype classes when it comes time to redesign-with-new-knowledge, lol.

Mike

4. verybinary

verybinary

/me agrees with joe to an extent, except for the delete the files option. What I do is put things like that in a folder in the root("beside" the assets folder) it wont show up in the search results, and it can stay a part of the project to refer back to if needed.

Tset_Tsyung likes this.
  5. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

@verybinary

Many thanks for the reply. When you move something to the root alongside the Assets folder, it won't show up in the Editor at all either, is that right?

If so, that is another very good suggestion. Many thanks

6. verybinary

verybinary

Correct. the search only shows assets in the asset folder.
    There might be undesirable side effects, but ive never found any.
    I keep a folder named blah in every one of my projects. I usually keep vector and gimp files in it with other stuff, like the signing key for the projects that will get updated

Tset_Tsyung likes this.