Search Unity

Ordenkar so far

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Khyrid, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Khyrid

Khyrid

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Torsh

Torsh

Looks good and fun, but the AI is too simple. The enemy needs to know that getting shot in the head will kill them :).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Khyrid

Khyrid

I had head shots but that made the game way too easy as the AI is the slow lumbering kind not the type that dodges your shots. Shooting them in their glowing eye does 4x damage though.

But yeah, I increased the damage slightly so eye shots are one hit kills against basic enemies.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. Khyrid

Khyrid

Update bump!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Looking good so far man :)
    I recommend creating some modular assets and placing them around the place to make it more interesting

6. Khyrid

Khyrid

I will, it's still a work in progress. The level is a Hangar, so there will be a lot of crates and destructible crates that hide secret areas.

7. Arowx

Arowx

Wow nice FPS dude! ;o)

8. Khyrid

Khyrid

Thanks, I just uploaded an updated demo.

9. nickavv

nickavv

No Mac build? :C

10. Khyrid

Khyrid

Okay, I added a mac version. Let me know how it runs.

11. nickavv

nickavv

Cool, will do!

12. nickavv

nickavv

Alright, so I've played with it for a while now, here are some suggestions:

-Make some on-screen damage indicator (even cooler if you could make it directional)
    -Make the enemies slightly more aware (I know you said you want them to be lumbering types, but I shot one from a distance and he didn't notice me or chase after me)

Other than those two little thoughts, nothing stood out at me as needing immediate attention. It's a fun little demo and I look forward to what you do with it!

13. carmine

carmine

I just tried this out. It's a great start. I like the environment.. very cool!

Couple of suggestions:

Music
    There are tons of people offering free music on here as well as on reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedevclassifieds

AI
    I agree with the others about the AI. It was really easy to kill them and I didn't feel in danger at all. I like how they looked and I love the idea of the eye being the kill spot.

Sound Effects
    Check out this site: http://www.freesound.org/
    When you do a search, filter by "Creative Commons 0" on the right side.

Also some kind of onscreen indicator that I'm getting hit. Maybe you can attach a couple of Planes or GUITextures to the camera and hide them and turn them on when you get hit from a certain side... or even just one big one that turned on and off when you got hit would be great.

Awesome start! I look forward to seeing more of this!

14. Khyrid

Khyrid

Cool thanks. yeah I do need some kind of damage indicator. I don't want to do the screen flashing red in the corners thing tho. I probably won't do directional as anyone who can't figure out where the enemy is probably will only be further confused by indicators. Maybe I'll just make a flashing indicator on the Health bar when hit.

The enemies should turn to attack you if you shoot them. If they just stand there and let you shoot them, then the AI isn't working correctly. Possibly you killed it fast before it could do anything? I will be increasing their attack range and making some local alert so if you shoot one the one next to him should also aggro. I guess they do seem pretty dim. Maybe I if I make them say something when they turn to attack so the player gets feedback and feels they are reacting more.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  15. Khyrid

Khyrid

Cool thanks for the feedback! I guess you didn't care for my music :"( That's okay I don't consider myself a musician, I have some friends that can make awesome music, My stuff is just for placeholders so it's not dead silent, but maybe I should have a mute option.

Yeah, the AI is somewhat lacking. Right now my space orphans game has better AI. These are the weakest enemies in game, they only really get dangerous in numbers. More powerful enemies will generally have more HP. I will build on what is already there and make the dynamics of the game play. I will have enemies that you have to think carefully if you will try to fight, run away or a trap etc.

Were my sound effects particularly bad? I know the taking damage one is. I prefer not to use sound effects from the internet, even if they have no CC, I don't like complications. Maybe it's just a pet peeve.

Anyway thanks for playing, going to add a new weapon and enemy soon.

16. stefmen

stefmen

Looking good.

17. nickavv

nickavv

I like what Half-Life has, which is a medium-sized squareish thing, and single edges of the square light up translucent red to indicate direction of the attack. Of course, its all up to your personal preference!

It's entirely possible that I killed him too fast. I was a little paranoid from not realizing when I was being attacked! haha

Keep it up

18. Khyrid

Khyrid

Yeah, I'll set up damage indicators. Already figured out how.

19. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Hopping right into that FPS, huh?

Looks good.

My only advice: make a separate youtube account for your dev blog. Getting links to your non game videos is a little unprofessional and distracting.