Search Unity

Orbit particles around a cylinder

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Kikimacia, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Kikimacia

Kikimacia

Hey guys !

First post here, I recently started doing FX in unity, and am currently learning VFX Graph. Usually, I take old particle system tutorials, and try to follow them by making everything in the vfx graph. But I really can't find how to reproduce this :

I can't find any "orbital" thing anywhere :( Is there an easy way/node I missed ?

Thanks a lot !

Edit :

I'm making something really simple like this https://gyazo.com/44e2cfe54f000c9bc1c653628b44ce80

Just want to add the orbital movement

2. andybak

andybak

From memory you just want to apply a force to your particles based on their angle from the orbit center. I think I used the "Cross product" node for this.

If nobody else can fill in the blanks I can dig out the project I tried this on.

3. Kikimacia

Kikimacia

Thanks for the answer :D

I think it's too early for me with the soft to guess how to interprete what you said without any guidance tho. :/

4. andybak

andybak

No worries. I'll see if I can find the old project and post the actual graph.

5. andybak

andybak

6. Kikimacia

Kikimacia

Han damn thanks man, but I can't find the orbital nodes ?

7. andybak

andybak

The two Orbital nodes are just inputs. You can either enter values directly into the slots they connect to or create float3's on the blackboard and control them externally.

8. andybak

andybak

9. Kikimacia

Kikimacia

Hey !

First thanks a lot, I've been playing with your scene since yesterday to try to understand how it works and stuff.

It's there for now https://gyazo.com/35ef94b266df106a8c55b53dde053378 and it's getting closer to what I want. I think I understood what you meant with the orbital nodes.You just add vecto 3 in the blackboard and rename it ? But I can't find how to recreate your Substract :/ Sorry.

Also, maybe I'm using it the wrong way (I played with the values to try to really get it), but my particles will always evade the center of the rotation when they go up. Giving me a kind of cone shape instead of a true cylinder. Am I doing it wrong ?

Thanks again for the help :D

10. andybak

andybak

There's nothing weird there. It's just a normal subtract node

If you want to stick your project up on Github I might be able to have a play myself

11. Kikimacia

Kikimacia

Hey,

In fact it's just because i'm an idiot, I was typing "subStract" everytime :(

https://we.tl/t-C1CHI276q1

I never used gethub, is it okay like this ?

12. andybak

andybak

> I never used gethub

You should really get in the habit!
    Yeah apart from forcing me to install goddam WinRar!

13. Kikimacia

Kikimacia

I swear I will :v

14. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

For rotating particle I would use Rotate 3D, with the center of rotation the center of the cylinder, the axis the one up with the cylinder, and then set the rotation value (in radians). After that you can simply move up the particles, that will create this kind of effect. Tried it quickly and it works well.

Annotation 2020-03-04 224741.png

15. Kikimacia

Kikimacia

Oh god, that's so simple yet so perfect... It works like a charm. Thanks both of you for all the help and time ! :D

Cheers

cAyouMontreal likes this.
  16. Endlesser

Endlesser

Brilliant! this has to be the best ORBIT Solution I've ever found.