Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Orange Gas Nebula - Who thinks this is awsome.

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by FirstTimeCreator, Mar 16, 2018.

1. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

2. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

very nice.. is the player object relaly 800,000 meters from origin? I keep getting weird "trembling models" when I try to use a real scaled solar system... just curious, how can I avoid that weird warping geometry when I'm far from the origin point.

but nice job, I liked the star

3. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I use floating origin and move the world. I can pretty much scale planets to any size i wish the only limitation being far clipping which i use multiple cameras near medium and far.

I force the ship the player is in to 0,0,0 and move the world accordingly before any other code is executed so the players ship never actually moves, it just appears to move because the world is moving around it.

No the origin is always at the center of the ship the player controller resides in. The origin is moved when the world is moved which is the center of the sun.

4. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

I don't know how to use "floating origin"...
    actually I'm kinda learning how to do all the stuff that you got already in your game... I tried to look up "dreamspace" on the asset store but couldn't find it...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/and-now-its-a-40k-fangame.516668/

here's my "learning to make a game" practice game... see I'm an art person, not a coder, but I'd like to team up with a coder to tutor me a bit in stuff.. and I can tutor the other person in the finer points of making art for games. See, I've got a grand total of 7 weeks Unity expirence, but years in the stuff that Unity does, like shaders and graphics. I'll be very happy

5. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

The software running my prototype is way to complex for an asset store build. Also im using sketchup models that do not belong to me.

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Floating_Origin

I spent 2 years learning unity doing various prototypes before attempting to do what im doing.

6. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I suppose i could make an asset store build but it wouldn't have the stuff im using from Space Graphics Toolkit in it or any of the ships. It would be a character controller inside a box for the moving ship and spheres for the planets.. wouldn't be pretty like my environment.

check this out:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/galactic-armada-fleet-commander-overview-mechanics-videos.516871/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

nice, and thanks for the script link

8. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

The fun only begins there. There are many problems that require solutions once you get FO working. Believe me. I spent countless hours solving them.