Search Unity

Feature Request Option to permanently remove projects from dashboard

Discussion in 'Unity Gaming Services General Discussion' started by ZenUnity, Nov 19, 2020.

1. ZenUnity

ZenUnity

I have around 40+ projects in my dashboard and many of them are test projects or completely empty projects. I would like to permanently remove and but I'm only seeing the option to archive them. I've gone through a few of the projects and unlinked the project id in the Services tab but they are still showing up in this list.

2. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Hey ZenUnity and thank you a ton for the feature request,

If it is not too much trouble, would you be so kind to point me to the project listing that you refer to. If I am understanding you fully, the problem is that archiving the projects is not having the desired effect of hiding them in a given listing view?

I will try my best to get this sorted for you or forward the request to the relevant team :)

Happy holidays!

3. ZenUnity

ZenUnity

Thanks for the reply.

Archiving them does move them into the archive list, but I'd like to remove some of them completely (the empty projects in particular).

As an example, Project ID : 586742a5-8b4b-4a4b-9173-252a5e27c854 Project Name : New Unity Project

4. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot for the feedback. We'll see what we can do here :) Currently the archive feature is intended to act as the "deletion".

ZenUnity likes this.
  5. So, Unity, you just released a bunch of features which relies on the dashboard and expect us to test these out for you, but we still don't have permanent project deletion on the dashboard. I need to beg the customer service to remove my dead projects. No, I don't want to leave dead projects in the archive.

Any plans to allow people to remove their garbage / unwanted code / projects?

6. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Hey @Lurking-Ninja and sorry to hear you are experiencing some pain related to projects. Just to clarify my understanding and to help prioritize this, what is the biggest problem that archiving the projects does not accomplish for you? Are there some project listing where the projects do not disappear etc. I will go work with the relevant teams to get this addressed. If you would be so kind to offer a bit more context, it will help me resolve this in the best way for you and our other users.

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry again for the inconvenience.

7. No. You are not allowing the removal of MY code and data from your servers. I need to beg the support team to remove MY code and data from your server. When I decide that I don't want to store my code and data on your server anymore, there is no easy and accessible way to perform this action. This is my problem.
    I'm writing code and data because you're treating Collaborate and all on the same way.

Archiving project is a band aid and not a real solution. My code and project data will still sit on your servers.

8. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

That makes sense @Lurking-Ninja, thanks for clarifying and for the feedback. I will work to ensure that you nor other developers will need to do so in the future. I can fully understand the frustration. My desire is to help you guys succeed to the best of my ability and help you achieve your outcomes. Please do not hesitate to ever reach out with more feedback, your opinion is very valued.

9. MinityDev

MinityDev

+1 on this. As someone with OCD it's VERY frustrating that we can't permanently delete projects. I have to go into my archive and see a handful of dead/test projects that I can't remove that are just sitting there. I shouldn't have to contact support just to be able to do something as simple as delete a project. Please just give us an option to permanently delete projects entirely. Not hide, but actually permanently delete from your backend. Thank you.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

joonarahko 1+ on this. This basic feature has been requested for years and still not there, yet!

- I and so many Unity users make test projects with Unity and eventually delete them, and so we want from the server!

And yes, it hurts my OCD so badly.

Archiving a project is a thing, and deleting them is another thing. Archiving is only disabling its services while staying/remaining in the server (and can be reenabled/unarchived). While deleting is actually removing them from the server permanently. Now, That's a Huge difference!

One has the right to delete his own projects, doesn't he?

MinityDev likes this.
  11. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the +1's

Yeah, let me kickstart an engineering discovery on this :) Projects are a very core entity across our systems so getting all the sub-systems to respect something like a deletion takes a little more effort. However, I completely understand frustration and we'll do our best to make it right for you guys.

Best regards,
    Joona

12. MinityDev

MinityDev

Hey, is there any update on this? :)

13. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Hey MinityDev and thanks for reaching out. Teams currently wrapping up their existing priorities but we started discovery on this, we will get around this problem in Q1. I will keep you posted when there are updates on this front. Happy holidays to you!

ZenUnity and MinityDev like this.
  14. MinityDev

MinityDev

Sounds good! I greatly appreciate the follow up as well. Happy holidays to you too!

15. MinityDev

MinityDev

It's been awhile, are there any updates regarding full project deletion yet?

16. unitelr

unitelr

Unity Technologies

Hello MinityDev;

We have been doing research and discovery on this topic and are starting solution design iteration. We want to make sure we implement this feature correctly due to both the destructive nature of the operation and the centrality of projects to Unity development and deployment. When the project deletion feature gets added to the roadmap, we'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks for touching base

ajdunn778 likes this.
  17. russ_avegant

russ_avegant

Any updates?

18. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the ping @russ_avegant. I am sorry to say that there is unfortunately no active work happening right now due to other priorities. This was planned to be worked on last year but got deprioritized, and we haven't managed to get back to it. We fully recognize that this is something that should absolutely be possible.

19. MaKegen

MaKegen

+1
    Looking forward for updates~;)