Search Unity

Option to only generate square textures with PackTextures()

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Brady, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Brady

Brady

Now that iPhone compression requires textures to be square, it would be great if PackTextures had a flag that could be passed to require that any generated textures must be square.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

thats no problem as pack texture can not be used with compression (compression is an editor only thing, pack a runtime only thing)

pack requires that you enable Get / Set Pixels which by itself removes the option to use compression at all as compressed textures can't be written to

3. Brady

Brady

Actually, PackTextures can be used at edit-time as well, which is what I'm doing currently, and on occasion run into the problem of a non-square texture, meaning I can't compress the texture without either resizing it (and possibly losing detail), or re-doing all my UVs by hand.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

I see. You are right, forget about its editor usability actually.

The thing I'm not sure though is if square is a requirement any longer for compression for iphone 2.2.x and higher.

5. Brady

Brady

If not, I don't think that has been reflected in Unity iPhone. So then we either need the feature in PackTextures, or non-square texture compression. :) I'd be happy with either.

6. techmage

techmage

I've just run into this issue.

Can you put non square PVR's on iPhone somehow? Or force packtextures to produce a square texture?