Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Option to determine Unity build version using ProjectVersion.txt

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by MechEthan, Jun 29, 2018.

1. MechEthan

MechEthan

There should be an option to derive a Build Target's Unity Version to build with by just using whatever is set in ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt -- and this option should be the default.

v01pe_ and (deleted member) like this.
  2. liortal

liortal

What do you mean ?

3. MechEthan

MechEthan

Every Unity project has a file at "ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt" -- we check this into our git repo.

But, Unity Cloud build ignores it and just overrides with their required "Unity Version" build setting under "Basic Info" -- they should add an option that doesn't override anything, and instead just always uses the version found in the "ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt" file.

I suspect there are technical reasons for this -- they probably spool up an image for building that has the pre-configured Unity version already installed BEFORE doing a shallow-clone of my git repo. But, frankly, it's a solvable problem and should be on their roadmap, at the very least.

(If nothing else, they could just examine the one file in my git repo prior to doing anything.)

4. v01pe_

v01pe_

I totally agree! I lost a whole day trying to figure out why our game builds on every platform, except when built from the cloud. AT LEAST there should should be a very visible warning in the (Compact) Log section, pointing out the discrepancy between checked in version and configured version – especially if it's a different major version!!