Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Option to change display name for project in Unity Hub without changing folder name

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by PD_Boudreaux, Apr 16, 2022.

1. PD_Boudreaux

PD_Boudreaux

My team has our Unity project in a folder called "Unity" because our entire project requires other files in other directories so our directory tree looks something like this:
    • TestGame (this would be our project's actual name)
      • Unity (contains our Unity project files)
      • Libs
      • Tools
    Since most of our projects are laid out like this, this is annoying in Unity Hub because it thinks our project is named "Unity" instead of "TestGame". In Unity Hub I've got multiple "Unity" projects and it is often confusing trying to find the correct Unity project I want to open since they are all named "Unity". I have to look at the full path instead of just looking at the project name to find the correct project.

It would be great if Unity Hub had an option to change the display name for the project visible in Unity Hub without actually changing the folder path name. So my Unity project can still be located at TestGame/Unity but in Unity Hub I can change the display name for the Project to be "TestGame" instead of "Unity" so I can find the projects I want to access at a glance.

2. coatline

coatline

*Bump*
    I would love to have this feature. I'm in a similar situation. Every project I create for certain useful reasons looks like this:
    • UnityProjectName
      • Project
      • .gitignore
    Unity Hub will not take the root folder's name (This project is not valid). Every project is displaying as "Project." Oh, and while I'm at it, requesting this feature: https://forum.unity.com/threads/mul...ns-only-have-generic-unity-app-label.1138201/

3. Enormus

Enormus

*Bump*
    Ditto for us.

I think this falls under Quality of Life enhancements for "modern" team development. We also need QoL changes for collaboration of developers working on different platforms. For example, not having the Windows Unity Editor change files to mode 777 at the touch of a feather.

4. LucasRudzianskyBBG

LucasRudzianskyBBG

*Bump*
    I need to use multiple instances of the same project for testing purposes so I have 3 "Project" names displayed in the hub, this used to be fine because we used to be able to see the path properly so I saw (Name), (Name)-copy, (Name)-copy-copy, but with the recent hub update the new "Cloud" tab obscures most of the path making that option unavailable.

5. mgear

mgear