Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Optimum Asset store assets folder organization and compilation time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpyrosUn, Aug 7, 2019.

1. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi all !

It seems that when I download something from the asset store, some of the assets end up in the plugins folder, others just in the Assets folder, it's generally a messy process.

Now, I do have about 30 assets in one project, and it seems to be loading a bit slow, plus the asset folders are pretty much scattered around.

I have read that using the Standard Assets folder and storing the store assets there helps with compilation times, because it basically generates a separate dll that is only built one time (since the assets never really change, unless upgraded).

This is fine, but when i move some assets in the Standard Assets folder, I am getting errors in their editor extensions (I think that's because the editor stuff is on a separate dll).

Thus, some assets can be moved without a problem, while the ones that have editor extensions seem to require being in their original folder.

Also, the Plugins folder is a suggested folder for storing assets, but again, it looks like it gives me the same Editor extension errors (and i am not sure if it helps with compilation times, like the Standard Assets folder, not sure if it's a separate dll really).

So, I am wondering, how do you guys manage that ? Do you just let the assets do their own thing and set up themselves anywhere inside your project ? Or you have a mechanism of dealing with this ?

Thanks !

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

One tactic (introduced to me by @JoeStrout) for dealing with this is to create your own "root" folder that starts with an underscore (underscores are on top of letters for alphabetical sorting) with a name like "_Custom" and then just let every plugin go wherever it likes.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I move all my asset store assets to a folder called ExternalAssets except for a few that do not like moving

4. I do the same. I am working in my own folder, outside of that the assets can go nuts I don't care as long as they work. Although nowadays I don't use that many external assets in my main project. I do terrain and other separate stuff in separate project(s) and later I move the end product into my main project.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2019
    zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.