Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

optimized transparent shader?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by tswalk, Sep 14, 2013.

1. tswalk

tswalk

I have noticed that using any shader with transparency is causing significant drops in frame rates by half.. same affect as enabling shadows in a scene.

I really dont' see any work-around for this one... I used the default "transparent diffuse" and my frame rates drop from 60 fps to 30... even if this is applied to a scene that has only one object, a camera, and a directional light. (no shadows).

it seems to make no difference how many objects are in the scene (1 to 200), I even tried creating a simple Rim shader with alpha blending.. same result.

Is there a specific transparency shader I should be using or some technique I can employ in my custom shaders for this platform to regain some performance?

[edit]

I failed to mention that this is targeting ARM platform (Surface RT specifically with Tegra 3)

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If it still does it with mobile/alpha then your problem is what you're rendering and not the shader.

3. tswalk

tswalk

I've tried a primative sphere from both Maya and Unity with three different shaders, a custom rim shader I made, the default transparent/diffuse, and the mobile/transparent/vertex color shaders... same results.