Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct here to familiarize yourself with the rules and how to post constructively.

2. Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice

Optimized Shaders + Mesh + Textures what is the best approach?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by JustMeBrian, Mar 24, 2021.

1. JustMeBrian

JustMeBrian

So I had to optimize a big scene recently and it made me start wondering about my workflow... in terms of materials/unwrapping and texturing.

1)Materials
    3)textures
    4)The amount of materials on one object
    5)same material & textures on different objects

Oke so I tried lot of different techniques and i'm not quite sure what the best one is. For example I made a scene with repeating materials so I had a material for metal,glass,ground ect.. all repeating nothing unique...
    and I was using this for all objects in the scene which used that material. Now is this a good way to build your whole game? I'm not sure if that a optimized way to handle things because I had a huge mesh using 8materials and a few smaller ones using a bit less but from the same pool of repeating textures + materials.

Now another approach that exists of course is that you use 1texture and 1material for each object specifically. Is this better?

I don't know what to do anymore when creating assets to be fair. Is there like some guidelines I can follow do X for big meshes and Y for smaller ones or approach z for everything or can I just use a material library for each material in the world cloth,leather,stone,glass ect.. and then only have a few unique textures for specifc things?

I just want the most optimized workflow possible.

Thanks in advance.

unityunity