Search Unity

"Optimize Game Objects" + "Copy From Other Avatar"

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DDNA, Sep 11, 2016.

1. DDNA

DDNA

I have multiple models than share the same avatar and animations. All the models and animations are in separate FBX files.

In the file that defines the Skeleton I have "Optimize Game Objects" set so that I don't have all the gameobjects in the instance of the object.

However on the next model where I reference the avatar with " Copy from Other Avatar" The object has all the GameObjects when it is instance. It is not optimized.

My question is how do I optimize the game objects in a model that references another avatar.

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

upload_2016-9-13_15-21-55.png

I actually had to ask a colleague, because I didn't know, so... yeah, we could probably work on discoverability :S

But we'll look into offering this option on Copy Avatar From Other. It was withheld because the intent for "Copy From Other Avatar" is mostly to import animations, not models.

theANMATOR2b and Mecanim-Dev like this.
  3. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

4. DDNA

DDNA

Thanks I had no idea that was there.

5. rt_jscott

rt_jscott

This is helpful, but is there a way to select which bones should not be optimized away?

6. frederik_krogh

frederik_krogh

You can copy from other avatar, and then use create from this model and then optimize lol. When i used create from this model first, it failed and couldn't find all the bones. I was exporting assets for my armeture like gloves, boots etc and therefor only parts of an armeture.. this is so buggy i'm a bit worried to integrate this workaround into our workflow..