Search Unity

Optimising Unity Terrain

Discussion in 'World Building' started by squffed, Sep 29, 2022.

1. squffed

squffed

Hi there!

I'm attempting to create a procedurally generated island survival game. I've noticed with spawning my trees and other objects like it the FPS reduces drastically on the build. Is there any known optimisation solutions I could look at?

Thanks a ton!
    ~ Rhys

2. Klausbdl

Klausbdl

LODs and billboards (although I don't know exactly how to setup billboards). If you're using the Terrain object, turn up the "Pixel error" option as well.

squffed likes this.
  3. squffed

squffed

Thanks for the suggestion! I have this setup with my LODs being pretty generous. Not entirely sure what else I could do... I did read up that combining tree meshes might speed things up? But not entirely sure how to approach that.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes LOD settings matter, but theres other things to consider. How many trees/objects are you spawning?. Also are the objects themselves optimized?. Are you using Atlas textures?. What about shadow settings?. Camera settings?, and more... Best thing to do is post a video of this, then we can help more.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  5. squffed

squffed

So after going back and forth the terrain actually works fine - I will do further improvements such as chunking the terrain where necessary.