Search Unity

Optimisation of fully furnished houses

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by antony57, Nov 19, 2017.

1. antony57

antony57

Hello everyone,

First of all, I am not very fitted with forums in general so if I published in the wrong section I apologies.

I am trying since a bit to develop an open world. Nothing too serious so far, just want to see how far I can get.
    My question is. I'd like to pop hundreds of these beauties (see screenshots below) into my open world.
    But one of them is already 1M verts/tris and I don't know how to reduce this.

I tried with meshbakers and automatic lod but nothing is able to lower this amont. When I pop 20 of them into my editor, my CPU is literally crying and I end up crashing unity 9/10 times.

Do you have any advise I go follow? documentation or tutorials I could look at?

upload_2017-11-19_18-58-55.png

Thank you very much for your time.

Best,

a.

2. joshenes

joshenes

For something this heavy, you are better off loading them as a low detail proxy model (no interior, low poly, etc.) and only loading the nearest house as full detail, since you can only be "in" one house at a time. You could save each house as a scene and load it asynchronously as the player approaches, disabling the proxy house when it finishes loading. When the player moves away from the house then unload it and show the proxy house again.

3. antony57

antony57

Hello Josh thanks for your answer ? Would that work too if it's a multiplayer based game?
    Also, do you have any documentation or tutorial I could look at?

thanks a lot!

a.

4. joshenes

joshenes