Search Unity

Question Opt Out and Data Request

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by user1dedalord, Jan 27, 2022.

1. user1dedalord

user1dedalord

Hello! I've been reading all the documentation I was able to find about Unity Analytics Data Privacy and Consent, and I still have a couple of questions related to the Opt Out option and the Data Request.

A summary of what I understood is:
    • To comply with GDPR and PIPL the game has to ask for tracking (Opt In) consent.
    • To comply with GDPR and CCPA the game has to allow the player to Opt Out of data collection and delete all historical data.
    • Your responsibilities as a developer include:
      • Adding an opt-out button to your app
      • List Unity as a third-party which collects data in your privacy policy, and include a link to Unity’s privacy policy in your privacy policy.

I was able to implement most of the flow with the documentation provided here, but I still have a couple of questions:
    1. Does Unity Analytics provides a way to know if I should show the Opt Out option?
      • CheckForRequiredConsents() provides a way to know if I should show the Opt In consent, but I understand that for regions that are outside PIPL, GDPR and CCPA I'm in not obligation of showing the Opt Out button.
      • I found this old thread with a related question but it looks like they where using Legacy Analytics and ended up adding a Geo Ip service.
    2. Does Unity Analytics provides a way to send the player their collected data? Is this mandatory for CCPA?
      • Under CCPA one of the rights states: "The right to know about the personal information a business collects about them and how it is used and shared", is this covered by just showing the Privacy Policy?
      • On the Legacy Analytics I found the DataPrivacyButton that allows the player to request their data and also Opt Out from a Unity web page. That works fine, but it's deprecated. Should I not add that in the game?
    Thanks!

2. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

I'll check in on point 1, but I think the answer is not at the moment.
    With regards to 2, I'm familiar with the GDPR but not CCPA, and it's mandatory under that.
    Currently for 2, it's not a self serve process, and you'd need to forward a player's request through our support channels to get that data exported.

I'll get back to you with our findings and see if there's plans for change there.

3. user1dedalord

user1dedalord

Thank you for the quick response!
    Regarding:
    Would the DataPrivactButton functionality be enough? Currently it sends the user to this page:

Unity Data Privacy.png

4. stekatsaros

stekatsaros

any updates on the above?

Haze-Games likes this.
  5. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

@unity_Ctri I'm also wondering the same. We were previously using Legacy Analytics, and we had the Unity privacy button, which redirected to the page to opt out of Analytics. We are migrating to Unity Gaming Services now.

With the new Unity Gaming Services opt out system, we do not understand if we should:
    - Still keep that old DataPrivacyPlugin button that redirects to this page
    - Or remove completely this button as it's now deprecated, and should use an in-game custom checkbox and call the opt out function instead if the user does not consent
    - Or do both?

Because, it seems to me like the new OptOut function to call with Unity Gaming Services, if the user does not consent, will automatically delete all associated data within 14 days.

So, with that new system, it seems like the old DataPrivacy plugin button doesn't need to be present (and we can remove the plugin), and we only need to have a link to Unity's Privacy Policy (to read it), and a checkbox (which can be checked by default for GDPR if you're not targeting children under 13) with the label "Consent to Analytics" ?

Clarification for this would be greatly appreciated!
    Charles

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    stekatsaros likes this.
  6. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

Hey folks,

Your second option is the right one to go for. We're working on a better solution for this kinda thing, but don't have any details or a timeline we can share with you yet. I'd work with that for the time being.

Your summary at the end which I've also quoted seems like a good description.

stekatsaros and Haze-Games like this.
  7. Haze-Games

Haze-Games

Hi! Thank you for replying and confirming, we'll remove the DataPrivacy plugin and proceed this way.

Cheers!

8. centaurianmudpig

centaurianmudpig

The Privacy Button allowing users to opt out has been removed from 2022 versions. Is there an alternative or as a developer are we to direct users to the Privacy Policy page?

glrtdev likes this.
  9. Dennooo

Dennooo

Are there any updates on 2. Does Unity Analytics provides a way to send the player their collected data? for UGS Analytics?