Search Unity

opt for other game engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marval, Dec 16, 2014.

1. marval

marval

hi,
    this question also serves to the contrary
    but I need to know about unity

can i create and launch a game using Unity
    and later " opt " to use other game engine to remake the same game and for future updates?
    ie can I change the game engine after the game has already been released?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure, but that's going to involve either writing the game in a largely engine agnostic manner (which is a huge amount of extra work), or essentially rewriting the game for the other engine later (which may actually be less extra work).

Why do you ask?

Cogent likes this.
  3. marval

marval

hi,thanks
    in my case would be small casual games for mobile
    I ask because one day I can find a game engine that I prefer to use ( for one reason or another ) instead of the current

in the case of two engines that have watermark
    first appears "made with Unity"(free version) and then another logo made with "Unreal 4/other" in the same game
    or
    first appears "Unreal 4/other" and then "made with Unity " in the same game
    I thought it would not be possible

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You can't run the game in two engines at once. You have to change it from one engine to the other, similar to a process known as "porting". Once you move it from one engine to another, it should have no direct traces of the old engine. It will not be using both. The functionality of the original will have to be fully replaced with the functionality of the new.

Personally, I wouldn't think it's worth the effort. It will be significant effort for either of the approaches I suggested, which I'd personally prefer to put into a new game. Don't get so attached to a single project that it becomes dead weight. Finish it, move on.

5. marval

marval

where I wrote " and then another logo "
    I meant after porting to other engine,
    I understood,thanks!

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you wanted to do that, then you would be best off not using the Unity editor much, and doing as much as possible in code, so that you could port. Even then it would be difficult to do.

Ony likes this.