Search Unity

Opinions / Suggestions needed on Multi-player Boss Battle Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by anascg, Feb 26, 2018.

1. anascg

anascg

Hi Everyone!

I am planning to make a Multi-player Boss battle game inspired by many old games like contra, snow bros and a recent one Cuphead (Game-play wise). But unlike any of them it will be having features like.

1. Co-op Multi-player upto 4 players or more, Playing against Boss.
    2. Boss will also be controlled by a player.

These will be the two core features.

Now how the game will work

• At the start you have to pick a side (Boss or Player)
      • On selecting Boss
        • You have to select one of the Boss available in the library. And in a wider scope you can also add your own customized bosses.
        • Boss can create a match or room which can be joined by 4 or more players randomly
        • Boss will have different transformation stages like Cuphead which can be triggered anytime (only once) on a single click
        • These transformation stages can be several but a Boss can equip maximum 3 stages for a single battle later these stages can be changed for other battles
        • Undefeated boss will always be listed on the top of Leader-board
        • If the boss leaves an ongoing match, It will be marked as a defeat
        • Bosses Battle history will be maintained on their profile
        • In a wider scope, Two bosses can also collaborate with each other and fight co-operatively against players.
      • On selecting Player
        • You have to select a Player available in the library. And in a wider scope you can also add your own customized players
        • Players can join room created by a boss
        • Player have the ability to join and leave the room Anytime
        • Players contribution to the fight will be tracked in terms of damage done to boss
        • If the Boss is defeated then every player contribution to the battle will be added to their profiles.
        • Players with major contributions will be on Top of leader-board
        • Players Battle history will be maintained on their profile
        • Unlimited players can fight against a single boss but 4 to 6 at a time can join and fight. If someone leaves the room then some other player can join the battle
      • Common features
        • Battle time can be dynamic as it will end depending whenever boss defeats all the players otherwise the standard time length of 5 - 10 minutes will be created
        • Players and Bosses can Chat with each other during battles and after battles
        • Both can mutually decide a time to start a match
      • Additional feature
        • Everyone on the planet can watch the battles live by joining as audience

This is the rapid Prototype of Multiplayer part of the game. There will be an offline story mode too but my focus will be on the multiplayer part to make it more engaging and amazing than ever.

I have some straight questions
    1. Is this idea unique? (From my side I have googled but found nothing plus i have 10+ years of gaming experience and I've seen nothing like this before)
    2. Have your ever played something similar or near to this? If yes kindly name it.
    3. On which platform will it be most engaging? PC, Console, Android/ios linked with Web (facebook) like slither.io, Nintendo switch
    4. What should be the Theme of this game? Fantasy, Stylized, Cartoonish, Pixelated
    5. How should be the Gameplay? Side scroller 2d/3d (like cuphead or trine) or Third person (like Dmc)
    6. What is your overall opinion on this?
    7. Will you play this Game?
    8. Will you recommend it to your friends?
    9. Is it going to be addictive and engaging for a long time?
    10. How much time is roughly needed to create this whole multi-player part only?
    11. How many people are required to develop this? currently i am an individual working alone
    12. Are you willing to collaborate on this Game?

I know these are a lot of questions to answer. I will be very grateful if you take out some time to answer all of them.
    I've always found the whole Unity's community very helpful.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,
    Anas Khan

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm curious why you're filling up your list of how your game will work with unimportant trivial details like "Bosses Battle history will be maintained on their profile". This stuff is important when in the middle of developing the game, but is just forum wasting non-sense that has nothing to do with the questions your asking. Over a full page and you haven't even mentioned anything as far as the playing of the game part.

It isn't even possible to answer your questions about your game, because you haven't even described a game yet. I can tell you if you are focused on details like the lobby and leaderboard and are ignoring the actual gameplay, that no one is going to be interested in this game.

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Have you made a game before?

That's not an appropriately scoped project for a beginner.

Size it down to a single player game, with one boss, one hero, and one level, and that is a very good project to start with.

anascg and theANMATOR2b like this.
  4. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

The basic concept sounds a bit like Evolve.

Also as posted before, you have to size it down to an MVP (minimal viable product) for a start.
    Maybe you could make a game where two local players (on keyboard) fight against a third one (the boss, on game controller or mouse) and try that with some friends. If you succeed in making such a game, you probably can answer most of those questions by yourself.

anascg and theANMATOR2b like this.
  5. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

And we all know how well Evolve turned out ;)

If OPs game design is done as well as this forum post, his game will share the same fate.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. FMark92

FMark92

It made money.
    I'd wager it would have made a whole lot more money if trailer wasn't edgy cringe material comparable even to E3.
    I can't say that the design is terrible.

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I thought it failed because it was plagued by connection issues on launch?

8. FMark92

FMark92

No Battlefield game ever failed because of that :D

9. anascg

anascg

Noted!
    What i was more concerned about is validating the general idea (functionalities wise) in a long run. I haven't decided the theme and story behind it yet but probably it will be 2D inspired by old school games. This is the thing i am working on right now. Details like leader-board and what not was just mentioned as it is related to game functionality. I have no intent to go in these details atm.

10. anascg

anascg

Hey Thanks!

I've seen evolve but i just totally forgot it. My inspiration comes from 2d boss battle old games and cuphead from the recent ones. But i am thinking to develop the whole thing for Android.
    How should i validate about the right platform to develop this on? should i develop an mvp for both platforms Pc and android?