Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Opinions on best way to animate hand closing a door

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by akent99, Mar 20, 2022.

1. akent99

akent99

Animation Rigging 1.2 seems to work with Sequences in 1.1.0! So I was trying to work out the best way to animate a hand holding a door. I tried using Multi Parent Constraint so the arm IK Target object would move following the position of a door handle, but after a while I started getting exceptions thrown about animation objects not being the child of an animator component - and while the target IK object moved, the hand and arm did not follow it. I have an animation clip on the character, and it feels like I need to have an override track for the arm, set an Avatar mask so that track overrides the arm, and then record moving the IK object in that track. Then it works. It felt almost like the other constraint moving the IK target was not seen by the animation rigging component.

So my current final solution is to just animation the IK Target object directly in the animation track. It just does not automatically follow the nice curved arc of the door, but the positive is it gave me complete control over the arm position and angle of the hand to the door etc. So it might end up better this way anyway - just wondering if anyone else had experiences they wanted to share about the best way to make them work together - best way to have a hand on a door handle and open/close the door. (This one I can also cheat as you don't actually see the hand holding the door handle.)