Search Unity

[OPINIONS NEEDED] Project Toys Horror Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by atomicpang123abc, Mar 14, 2014.

1. atomicpang123abc

atomicpang123abc

Hello, to those who may remember, about a year ago I posted some info on the horror game i was working on. The horror game was called Project Toys. Well i'v been working hard on the game for a good amount of time and have some new info and screenshot's to share with those who are new to the game.

First off, when making this game i didn't want it to be "Just another horror game" with no originality. I wanted this game to stand out, be unique and have new takes on the horror series. So, whats so unique about this game? Well Project Toys takes what everyone loves about horror games, and introduces new mechanics into the game to change the way you play.
    First off you play as a young small girl named Anna. Since Anna is so small, she can not access allot of high places without allot of platforming. She also can hide allot easier than say, a full grown man. These two things link up to how the game is played. You simply cant open a door, you must find an object to stand on, or find another way past in order to access things that tower you. Anna's height also changes the way the game looks. Since she is so small, things look allot bigger than they usually would. This lets me go into more detail with objects and the way they look in a child's eyes.
    Anna is also to young to grab a gun and kill all enemy's in her path, instead she must use objects such as toys, flash lights and phone's to reach places, solve puzzles and defeat what lurks in the dark.

As you can see, these ideas are aimed to change the way we think about horror games. How does this all come together as a product? Well as you can see from the screenshot's bellow, the game has allot of polish. The visuals are dark, yet colorful and moody. The environments will be inside a child's bedroom, house and back yard rather than some abandon hospital. Now keep in mind this is my first time creating a game, creating 3D models and using unity
    I have tried to make the lighting in particular stand out as something beautiful.
    $a.png $b.png $c.png $d.png $e.png
    I hope you can get a sense of the atmosphere i have made with this games setting and understand the idea and concept of re-defining horror games. I encourage you to tell me your opinions bellow, telling me what you think of the concept, graphics and execution of the game so far. Please look forward to more updates and info on the game before its eventual release in the near future. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. atomicpang123abc

atomicpang123abc

BONUS: Here's a screenshot showing the main menu for the game, hope you enjoy.

$h.png

3. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

It reminds me the game 'Among the sleep", that is going to be released soon : http://www.krillbite.com/ats/

Check it if you don't know about it, it's pretty cool!

4. atomicpang123abc

atomicpang123abc

Yes, that game is one of my many inspirations. Though i am trying as hard as i can to set my game apart from Among the Sleep as more clones of other games is never a good thing. Thank you for your comment.

5. Cheburek

Cheburek

I like the Windows BSOD part :D
    Story sounds cool, but I am curious who are your target audience? It's too scary for kids, but I don't see an average gamer buying this.
    Also I think we need to see some live gameplay to give better opinions.
    Just my 2c

6. georetro

georetro

I love what you have done with the lighting in your scene. It looks truly amazing :) Like @Cheburek said, I think we need a gameplay video.

7. atomicpang123abc

atomicpang123abc

Thank you all for your kind words. As for Cheburek's question, My target audience would probably be people older than 12 who enjoy horror games/firs person puzzle games. I want things like controls to be as simple as possible so that its easy to pick up and play, yet have that challenge that hard core gamer's usually want. In fact, this is why i chose the game to be in first person, having the exact same control scheme as the game Minecraft which is famous all around the world, this way people can get a grip of how to play within the first bit of of play.

As for a game play video, i am currently finding the best recording software i can. FRAPS is great but due to my computer not being the best, the frame rate sinks to around 16 fps while recording. If all goes bad, i should be able to use my brothers computer which runs everything butter smooth. Thank you all for your suggestions, opinions and comments. I hope you look forward to more info and screenshots (and maybe even a video) in the coming days.