Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question OpenXR popup keyboard for Vive and Quest

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by joostbos, Apr 3, 2023.

1. joostbos

joostbos

I am testing the possibility to have one Unity project for both the Vive and the Quest using OpenXR. The basics work, I can build and run the project on both and the XR rig is working (although the front direction on the Quest is opposite to the front direction on the Vive??!!)

But now I want to include user interaction. How can I open a popup keyboard in VR using OpenXR/OpenXR Interaction Toolkit on the Vive and on the Quest?

I have seen a lot of posts for the Quest, where you set 'Requires System Keyboard' in OVRManager and then add it to the Android Manifest, but this OVRManager no longer exists in OpenXR.

I also found a thread where the solution is to use TouchScreenKeyboard.Open, but that doesn't work in both headsets.

So please help. Thanks.

2. MCF33

MCF33

Hi Joostbos,
    I got exactly the same problem on a HTC vive focus 3.
    I've also tried to call "TouchScreenKeyboard.Open" but that doesnt solve the issue.
    I would also greatly appreciate an idea for a solution.
    Best regards
    Max

3. estrube3

estrube3

I'm unsure if this will work for the Vive, but I got the keyboard popup working in the Quest with OpenXR with the below. First you'll need to enable Custom Main Manifest, which can be found in Project Settings->Player->Publishing Settings then it should be the first one under Build. It will then show the path to the AndroidManifest.xml, which you will want to open.

Add the below line above any other meta-data tags:
    <meta-data android:name="com.oculus.vr.focusaware" android:value="true"/>

Add the below line below the application tag:
    <uses-feature android:name="oculus.software.overlay_keyboard" android:required="true" />

The TouchScreenKeyboard.Open function should now work.

rahulchawla2801 likes this.
  4. joostbos

joostbos

Thanks for your reply. I have decided to use VR UIkit package from the Asset Store, so that I don't depend on the built in keyboard.

5. rahulchawla2801

rahulchawla2801

This worked for me. Thank you

Last edited: May 2, 2023