Search Unity

Bug OpenXR only sending sound to system speakers / Can't copy system sound to headset.

Discussion in 'VR' started by colinleet, Feb 4, 2021.

1. colinleet

colinleet

I'm experiencing a weird bug after switching to OpenXR where the audio output device is always defaulting to the system's default instead of the VR headset. It happens when I'm using the Oculus and Steam as the OpenXR runtime -- both in editor and in builds. I've checked Oculus's settings for VR audio by adding/removing pc audio to the headset, and vice versa, all combinations have no effect -- so even the basic work around is broken. I can get audio out to the headset by setting it to be the system's default audio device, but that isn't workable long term. The bug is persistent for both the CV1 and Quest2 via link (connected at the same time).

Is this bug already known about?
    Is there a way to manually specify the audio output?

I'm running the latest (everything -- 2020.2.2, XR Plugin Management 4.00-pre2, OpenXR 0.1.2 ) including the beta for the Oculus desktop app as to fix the visual bug outlined in the known issues here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.openxr@0.1/manual/index.html

2. alloystorm

alloystorm

Having exactly the same issue now with 2021.1.5f1 + OpenXR Plugin 1.1.1

3. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Same here

4. colinleet

colinleet

I think there might have been a recent change to cause this issue to become more common lately, just from the number of people this week who have recently contacted me about this issue after not getting anything about it for the past 3.5 months.

@yarsrvenge What is your set-up for used packages and unity version? The more version numbers we can aggregate here the easier it should be to track down this bug.

5. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Unity 2020.3.11f1
    XR Plugin Manager 4.05
    Open XR 1.2.2

6. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Any updates on this? Still seeing this with the Oculus Runtime and OpenXR. Was an official bug submitted?

7. colinleet

colinleet

I haven't made a report yet.

8. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

I went ahead and created a bug report with a sample project. It only does it for me using the Oculus runtime. SteamVR works okay. It may be an Oculus runtime problem, if so I assume they can "pass it along". If I get a link to the issue I will update this thread.

colinleet likes this.
  9. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

colinleet likes this.
  10. colinleet

colinleet

11. elegoffic

elegoffic

Hello !
    Is someone have something news around this ?
    I know it will be fixed in the open XR 1.30 release, but when the 1.30 will get released ?
    I'm a bit anxious about this: I'm using directX-12 for dynamic resolution (really need it as my app is GPU intensive) and open XR works with directX-12, so it's my only choice.
    I plan to release my app around Christmas, but that sound issue is a problem.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  12. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

No news here. Anxiously awaiting. I suspect there are a lot of other fixes in 1.3.0 so it is probably taking a while for them to test. I'm hoping it is not dependent on another plugin being updated like Input Manager, otherwise it could be a while.

13. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

How is this still a bug? Makes OpenXR build target unusable effectively if your game has sound.

14. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Well, their response has been "the user can always just go into the windows taskbar and manually change the audio output device". This is true, but my experience from testers was that they were really put off by it. Made the game look unpolished. At this point I check everyday in package manager.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  15. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I saw the bug mentioned here too, as it is specific to Oculus not SteamVR when used as OpenXR runtime default, I am surprised to see this issue has been in effect for so long and not dealt with nearly 10 months after it was reported. Developers can't put up with major issues with the core standards they are told to use by Oculus/Facebook when the plugins are broken.

There is a support case for this at Case 1346125 apparently - @mfuad @Shaunyowns sorry to tag you in this thread but can we expect any update on this? It has been 10 months and this bug is really holding up some of us from using OpenXR which I was battling for Unity to support all of last year too.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Immersive-Matthew likes this.
  16. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Yea, that was my post in that forum (augustbranchesi) :( It has been frustrating for sure. I saw you posted there. Just so you know the second bug regarding the memory leak was indeed fixed. It was a core Unity fix...I don't recall the version.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  17. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Half the time it's just me poking my nose back in at the latest tools outside of current commercial projects to evaluate them, then being underwhelmed when I find major issues in a simple test project. I hate to imagine trying to use OpenXR currently in a production environment still unfortunately.

Hoping for a response on this as the lead time on that Case is ridiculous - did QA follow up on it?

18. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

QA got in touch with me months ago saying they had reproduced the issue. That’s all I know I’m afraid. I was originally going to release my game last month but had to delay due to this bug so I am also hoping it gets sorted soon.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  19. colinleet

colinleet

They posted a resolution notice over a month ago for this ticket. We're still waiting for them to release XRTK 1.3 to get a fix, but it's "been addressed" in the future release...

Yup note me posting this thread about two weeks after OpenXR was first beta released.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  20. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

1.3.0 was released today! Haven't tested it yet.

elegoffic likes this.
  21. elegoffic

elegoffic

I just gave it a try, and it worked!

22. colinleet

colinleet

The audio problem is fixed, and the fix is out!

Does anyone have any idea why OpenXR 1.3.0 wasn't showing up in my package manager? I found that the documentation was posted for 1.3, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't show here...

OpenXR-128.jpg

Solution: I was eventually able to upgrade it by editing my manifest.json file manually to have OpenXR set to 1.3.0, then restarting the editor. [For anyone else facing this problem that's how you do it.]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    TzuriTeshuba and elegoffic like this.
  23. Tanya_Li

Tanya_Li

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    1.3.0 is now out and includes the fix for Oculus Audio issues. You could install and test it out on 2020.3.
    For other Editor versions - 2021 & 2022, It may take a few weeks before it is in the verified state, that's why 1.3.0 doesn't show up in Package Manager now.

elegoffic, ROBYER1 and colinleet like this.
  24. Tom_3D

Tom_3D

No luck for me, on 2020.3.24f1 and still no dice in oculus (works in steamvr openxr runtime)

PrairieDogSeeksHeart likes this.
  25. PrairieDogSeeksHeart

PrairieDogSeeksHeart

No luck for me either. I'm still experiencing this issue with Unity 2020.3.38f1 and OpenXR 1.4.2.

26. Tanya_Li

Tanya_Li

Unity Technologies

@Tom_3D @PrairieDogSeeksHeart I gave it a try and it works for me. I am using the latest OpenXR 1.6.0, but I think any version after 1.3 should be the same.
    Did you switch the setting in Oculus software to use Oculus devices for the audio output, like this screenshot?
    upload_2022-12-19_12-4-1.png

27. PrairieDogSeeksHeart

PrairieDogSeeksHeart

Yes, I just checked and my settings appear to be fine. However, the issue still persists... You can view my settings in the screenshot.

Fyi, I also tried deselecting the "Hear Computer Audio in VR" option and still had the same issue. Is there perhaps some setting in Unity that may need to be toggled?

Attached Files: