Search Unity

Question OpenXR Linux Support

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by KazantsevPE, Feb 20, 2023.

1. KazantsevPE

KazantsevPE

Good afternoon
    When is OpenXR support for Linux planned? This is very necessary for the project, but is blocked by the lack of OpenXR support for Linux.

csreejith, CBHM and DevDunk like this.
  2. CBHM

CBHM

Any updates on OpenXR support for Linux?

Hi, @VRDave_Unity is there a way to make a build for the Linux platform with OpenXR

this is the error we are getting when trying to make a build for Linux with OpenXR enabled

upload_2023-3-6_11-22-40.png

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    csreejith likes this.
  3. schwa_delete

schwa_delete

I'm sorry, but I'm quite disappointed by the lack of support of other platforms (other than Windows).
    Can anyone provide additional information on potential plans?

4. SamZ_XR

SamZ_XR

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reaching out and bringing this issue to our attention. We're currently investigating to understand better what might be causing the error you're experiencing when trying to make a build for Linux with OpenXR.

As we continue to dig into this, it would be really helpful to know more about the specific Linux devices you're intending to build for. Thanks!

5. Mike_Icosa

Mike_Icosa

This is specifically blocked by Unity's own OpenXR plugin as support hasn't been implemented by Unity yet. We would also love to know the status of when this might be coming to the OpenXR plugin. (This will be for general use Linux devices, using either the SteamVR or Monado runtimes).

6. Horo

Horo

Just to chime in.
    As far as I understand it some popular games using Unity (like Beat Saber, Ancient Dungeon VR, ...) are 'forced' to have a second branch like 'before Unity OpenXR update' to give their Linux player base the possibility to still use their game... Since the OpenXR update, all Unity VR titles don't work on Linux, which is kind of sad since it worked really well before (I know it's a completely different system... but still, just to highlight that this is indeed a widespread current issue).

CBHM and DevDunk like this.
  7. demonixis

demonixis

Hi there,
    Any news on this?

@unity_82708EF00FA3C54EBE6F When the OpenXR plugin is enabled it fails to compile on Linux and mac. The correct behaviour is to compile. If the platform is not supported, it doens't have to crash the build itself.

Moreover, Linux has some OpenXR runtimes
    - SteamVR
    - Monado

Unreal Engine, Godot Engine and StereoKit support OpenXR on Linux and it works pretty good. Monado is a great OpenXR implementation.

What we want is Linux support for the OpenXR plugin at first. Not that OpenXR is also coming on macos, you can check the status on the OpenXR repository on github, but also on the Monado discord server, there is an experimental build.

8. ZakAuChocolat

ZakAuChocolat

Hi Everyone ?

Any News about OpenXR Linux dedicated Build ?

9. DevDunk

DevDunk

Not that I know of. Make a request on the roadmap

10. DrMaxP

DrMaxP

Does this mean OpenXR on Linux is supported with an older version of Unity/OpenXR? @Horo

11. polinkuer12

polinkuer12

I need to search for OpenXR Linux Dedicated Builds for the latest version

12. mesalondwas

mesalondwas

Please, let us develop on Linux. Still waiting on this. People have been asking for 5 years.

13. Horo

Horo

@DrMaxP As far as I understand, older versions of Unity used OpenVR (not OpenXR).
    Those older builds worked quite well, but since they used a completely different runtime, it does not really help ^^'.

14. yannn00

yannn00

nothing new here? i also need to make a demo on Linux