Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved OpenXR - HTC Controller not tracking

Discussion in 'VR' started by nmarechal, Mar 31, 2022.

1. nmarechal

nmarechal

Hi,

I have been following the development of OpenXR since September and it worked well on my Oculus and the Vive Pro. But since February, after doing all the updates (OpenXR 1.3.1, XR Interaction Toolkit 2.0), I can't get back the HTC controllers to track. I have downgraded, still nothing. Except Unity 2020.3, the controllers work everywhere, even Unity 2019. Setup is fine, HMD is fine, Oculus is fine but I never can get my HTC controllers. Any ideas ?

2. nmarechal

nmarechal

My HTC Vive controller work with Unity 2019.4 (OpenVR) and 2020.3 using SteamVR plugin but they don't work with OpenXR in Unity 2020.3. They worked previously but downgrading to pre-January versions of OpenXR and Interaction toolkit doesn't resolve the issue. My project works with OpenXR if I choose Oculus.

Why wouldn't the HTC Vive controller track with Unity 2020.3 and OpenXR ? I have re-installed Windows, still the same. Any ideas ?

3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Have you added the controller profile in the Project Settings > XR Plug-in Management > OpenXR > Controller Profiles?

Ebarrera03 likes this.
  4. nmarechal

nmarechal

Yes, I did that. Are you use a Vive Pro ? What is your version of Unity, OpenXR, Interaction Toolkit are you using ? I have re-installed Windows, Unity, did the project from scratch, no controllers... 2019.4 is fine and so is SteamVr in 2020 but not OpenXR which is the one I would like to use as I want to work with Oculus and Vive Pro. It seems the issue is with OpenXR ? Anything I can do to see where the error might be ?

5. RazT

RazT

I have the exact same problem. I was able to use Unity OpenXR with my Valve Index HMD + Knuckles(Index) controllers and Vive Wands on my previous builds. Now something broke and I can get any previous build to work.

My project was based on Unity 2020.3.18 and up.

Noticed that SteamVR beta didn't work with my controllers on one version, but the non-beta SteamVR worked. Right now since beta became the main SteamVR version....nothing Valve Hardware related works.

In every single case, regardless in my OpenXCR runtime is set to Oculus or SteamVR.... the Oculus Quest 2 controllers work in every single case even on SteamVR.

Also....my vive wands, index controllers do not work when testing a simple XR test scene with importes Controller Samples.

Attached Files:

6. nmarechal

nmarechal

I have read a couple of accounts here and there, thanks for your post !

For example: "no controllers and no movement detection with them with the latest Unity. Upgrading SteamVR and Steam solved this problem. All working again."... But that didn't work for me. I have also tried to open "SteamVR Setting" Panel, and show advanced setting, click "Developer" Module, and set current OpenXR runtime as SteamVR but also didn't work.

I also found an offline version of SteamVR (https://business.vive.com/us/support/vive-pro-secure/category_howto/offline-steamvr.html) but I haven't tried it yet. Let's hope that works.

7. nmarechal

nmarechal

I have uninstalled Steam and SteamVR from my computer then installed version 1.18 of the Offline SteamVR library (see above) and it works... for the moment.

8. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

I think I'm having the same problem:
    • Developing on OpenXR.
    • SteamVR runtime
    • Index controllers
    • 2021.3.0f1 (and tried 2021.2.19f1)
    • SteamVR 1.21.12 (and tried 1.22.6)
    Input debugger does not show controllers in Devices (not even in Unsupported or Disconnected) - I have no idea what changed...One day everything was working fine and the next Unity just couldn't find the controllers.

9. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

I see that you marked this issue as "Resolved" - Did you actually find a sustainable solution to the problem?

10. nmarechal

nmarechal

Charlicopter likes this.
  11. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

12. AYMENXP3

AYMENXP3

i have the same problem i couldnt resolve it yet (but in my case it shows me that my dongle i Unsupported)

13. kalineh

kalineh

Getting a ton of reports of this issue with our game too. Doing a full dump of all OpenXR devices only prints out the headset. Users consistently are reporting that every other game works fine, and opening overlay the controllers look fine too. Have not been able to reproduce in office, but it's happening a LOT on retail builds.

14. kalineh

kalineh

This setting fixed the issue for our users. It defaults to on, and turning it off fixes the problem.

SteamVR Settings -> Video -> Pause VR when Headset is Idle

syz531758702, idea_v and nnimarca like this.
  15. RazT

RazT

I LOVE YOU!!!! I LITERALLY LOVE YOU!!! You've saved my game dude!!! I can continue....... I've lost 6+ months of being overburned. Was ready to cancel my game...... YIIISH!!!! So happy that I see my game now working !!!!!!!

Ps. I cannot believe that ONE setting ruined my development. I've posted here on April 8th a year ago... even reported this weird behaviour in Steam BETA and once the "ready" SteamVR rolled out my game was practically dead for SteamVR hardware.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    kalineh likes this.
  16. kalineh

kalineh

Ayy happy to hear it :D

17. idea_v

idea_v

You saved my day. You are the hero my friend.

syz531758702 likes this.