Search Unity

1. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

OpenVR vs SteamVR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Wekthor, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Wekthor

Wekthor

Hi,

i wanted to switch to OpenVR and use only that. Seems as easiest solution for all VR platforms and you have full control over everything. But i encountered pretty significant issue, which seems to be occuring only with OpenVR.
    When i setup simple character, just rigidbody with collider and let it fall down few hundred units its quite choppy with OpenVR. When i use SteamVR ( using VRTK ), its very smooth. There is obvious and significant difference in the framerate/lag.
    I turned off all my scripts and just assigned either OpenVR camera or SteamVR camera as child object to the character, every single time OpenVR has slight choppiness to it, which is not present with SteamVR.
    Any idea why that would be happening ?

Thanks.
    Luke

2. Wekthor

Wekthor

I couldnt find anything where i could improve fast movements of OpenVR camera, it was very laggy on additional tests.
    So for anyone else having similar issue, i just switched to SteamVR camera rig and i am not using simple Unity camera for VR. I am still using OpenVR to get all inputs from controllers.

3. bradweiers

bradweiers

Unity Technologies

SteamVR uses OpenVR so I would just stick with that. If you publish a VR app to Steam using the SteamVR SDK then Oculus users will be able to play.

4. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

I agree with r3dthrawn but I do believe that the Oculus store will reject your game if any SteamVR references are found. Please correct me if I am wrong but this is what I've been told by other devs. So, if he wanted to publish on the Oculus store then having just OpenVR may be beneficial.

bmoodyP3 likes this.
  5. Wekthor

Wekthor

@r3dthrawn @StickyHoneybuns

Interesting. Yeah, we would like to release the game also for Oculus officialy. Does that mean whole SteamVR plugin has to be removed ?
    I didnt start on implementation of Oculus yet, but there is no official plugin for Oculus right, so i have to use only OpenVR for Oculus ? If thats the case, i am just afraid of the jittery camera with OpenVR.

6. Pingly

Pingly

Unity defaults to OPenVR AND Oculus. I have not added any packages (SteamVR or anything else) and my build is currently running on both my Vive and Oculus.

7. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

You can release the game for Oculus as well in the Steam store. I have been told through other developers though, that if you want to release your game on the Oculus store page it will get rejected if there is any SteamVR references. I have not researched this though because I have no intent on ever releasing to the Oculus store. If you are only developing for the Steam store SteamVR references are fine.

8. bradweiers

bradweiers

Unity Technologies

If the OpenVR dll ends up being included in your build you will get rejected from Oculus Store submission with a message like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. The package contains DLL libraries that are known to cause issues when running on the Oculus platform. These files must be removed prior to uploading: <path>/Plugins/openvr_api.dll
    To prevent this just make a build for the Oculus store that doesn't include the OpenVR SDK in your VR SDKs list.

StickyHoneybuns likes this.
  9. andybak

andybak

I was under the impression that OpenVR and SteamVR were largely different names for the same thing. Can anyone explain what the overlap and boundaries are between them?

10. kavanavak

kavanavak

@bradweiers any idea on when we might be able to just use Unity native XR input for platform agnostic builds?

soleron likes this.
  11. MaeL0000

MaeL0000

@andybak SteamVR is really just a wrapper for OpenVR's API with expanded functionality, etc.

12. soleron

soleron

This whole discussion is a bit problematic for the proliferation of VR today.
    What VR needs to grow, is one unified cross platform SDK.

OpenVR sounds great and I want to use it, but if Oculus rejects your apps that is a major issue.

As a developer, I want to use one system to create VR experiences on PC regardless of HMD brand or publishing limitations.

But even if I say ok, I do not care about the Oculus store, I have a problem locating the exact SDK version I need to use. VRTK? OVR? SteamVR? MRTK?

@bradweiers Unity please help us get rid of all this confusion, by providing at least the basics that everyone would want to use for a simple walk-through experience. i.e. teleportation, basic UI and walk functionality.

kavanavak and StickyHoneybuns like this.
  13. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Also I haven’t been able to get haptic feedback for openVR built in Unity which seems to work with SteamVR. Anyone got any clues here?

14. MaeL0000

MaeL0000

Don't know exactly what you mean but it might be because the intergrated OpenVR is some versions behind compared to what the SteamVR plugin has, especially if you're using the beta branch (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/tree/beta). Can't you disable native openvr support and just use the plugin?

15. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

I probably could, but I thought the built in one was more compatible with all HMD’s, only have Vive though so not sure..

16. bmoodyP3

bmoodyP3

That's true.

unityunity