Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Opening Google Chrome through Visual Studio API shortcut

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JCass45, May 17, 2016.

1. JCass45

JCass45

Hi, I've just started using Unity and I'm working my way through the tutorials. I'm using the CTRL + ' command in Visual Studio to open the Scripting API, but this opens the URL directly in VS. My question is, is there a way to get an external web browser such as Google Chrome to open the URL instead of opening it locally on VS? Cheers!

BigRed118 and lites like this.
  2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

In the visual studio options (Tools -> Options) you can find a section called "Tools for Unity".
    That section has a entry called "Use External browser". Set that to "True" and it should open the documentation it in your web browser if you open the documentation like before.

3. JCass45

JCass45

Thanks a lot! Worked

4. dpk

dpk

In what version of Visual Studio is this known to work? Setting Use External browser to true while using Visual Studio 2015 (14.0.24720.00) and Unity 5.5.1f1 does not have any effect -- the help keyboard shortcut still opens the doc in an embedded browser.

5. unwitty

unwitty

Same for me. Same versions as you and it's still being opened in the editor.

6. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3

Visual Studio Tools for Unity 3.5.0.2
    Visual Studio Tools for Unity

Is confirmed working on windows 10 non admin user account.
    Unity 2017.3 but not sure if that makes a difference to 5.5.1 in that case because the only thing that should effect this is VS and the VS tools for unity.

unityunity