Search Unity

Opening File Problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Lockes_TheThief, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Lockes_TheThief

Lockes_TheThief

Hello everyone. I'm stuck before I even get started and I'm hoping to find a solution to my problem. When I try to open Unity I get the following error in a window that says:

Opening file failed

Opening file Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/PrototypeCharacter/Textures/constructor_normals.png.meta failed: The system cannot find the path specified.

I'm asked to Try Again, Force Quit or Cancel. Try Again just pops the window back up. Force Quit ends everything of course and cancel pops up a new window that says it cannot find the path specified on another object. If I cancel enough I can run Unity but I don't want to run the system like this all the time.

I'm looking for anyone who has had a similar problem or at least knows how to fix this. I have the current version of unity and windows 8 64-bit with an intel core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz; 16 GB of RAM. Help me please! Thanks in advance...

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Does that file exist on disk?

3. Lockes_TheThief

Lockes_TheThief

I really can't find it. I wonder if there is some error because I didn't install Unity into my main drive...?

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Well, if that file doesn't exist on disk, then it's not surprising that Unity is complaining about not finding a file it needs. Where did the project come from?

5. Lockes_TheThief

Lockes_TheThief

I got to the part where I make a project. I just installed Unity on my D: Drive.

6. Lockes_TheThief

Lockes_TheThief

I still don't understand. I did a basic instal and now Unity can't find something that it installed itself? I didn't do anything special...

7. starlordkrishna05

starlordkrishna05

I too got the same problem but my error is

opening file
    c:/Users/starl/AppData/Roaming/Unity Technology/Sample Projects/.3d-beginner-143848.tmp.json: The system can't find the path specified.

i got this error when i tried to download the game in tutorial project,when i went to that directory, i couldn't find sample projects folder in unity technologies folder.

if anyone can please help me

8. chechoggomez

chechoggomez

Unity Technologies

Hi @starlordkrishna05 , which version of Unity are you using?
    Are you downloading the project from the Learn->Tutorial Projects section in the project wizard/Unity hub or are you downloading it from the AssetStore?

9. husarian

husarian

Hi! I got the same error message as @starlordkrishna05 above when I tried to download the "John Lemon's Haunted Jaunt:3D Beginner" from Learn->Tutorial Projects in the project wizard.

I have the Unity 2018.4.14f1
    Windows 10 Home, version 1909, OS build 18363.535

Inferno_17 likes this.
  10. Isahck

Isahck

Trojanato likes this.
  11. Trojanato

Trojanato